Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for this but found no quick answer, I know it is findable but im in a bit of a rush so if anyone could link the thread I would greatly appreciate it!

I have an 03 and am at 80K what is the forum's consensus on the normal 60K service/tune-up? Do you all do it at 60 or wait? What all is necessary? I know that information is in owner's manual, but what is necessary? The reason I ask is because it seems that 60K service is generally very expensive and i'm a poor grad student so I'd rather only do what is necessary to keep cost low. In other words, I don't want to go to the dealer and say "I need a 60K tune-up so do whatever you do and charge me $600!"

Thanks in advance and sorry for my laziness

·
Registered
536 Posts
60K Tuneup

I pulled out my plugs @ 90K and replaced them. I really did not need to do it but did it anyway. They looked almost as good as the new ones. Do what you like but in my case it was not necessary. Also, there has been plenty of discussion what type of plugs to use. I replaced them with the same kind I took out, Irridium sp. They were about $13.00 each and they have not missed a beat.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i saw quite a bit of compression blow by on the plugs i yanked out at 45k or so... coils are bolt down so it's not like a VW where the coilpacks will pop out.

if you're in a pinch for money for a while... change the oil and drive it... once the weather's better and you're caught up, do some research on here and get your DIY on, it's not a difficult vehicle to do service on as far as fluids are concerned and plugs aren't due until 100k or 110k? definitely not on the MUST DO list right now. dealer is probably trying to sell you some preventive maintenance items like brake fluid flush, trans flush, ect at a great premium. they'd be swell to have done, but not at their price, and from the sounds of it, not right now. air filter takes a screwdriver and it's $15, rear diff fluid is $16 for a couple qts and that's a ratchet, and drain pan if it's groaning while turning, pollen/hvac filters are $20 or so, and that's behind the glove box in 10 minutes once you find them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i had it done becasue i just purchased the element at 60,000 so i wanted to make sure every thing was going to run smoothly. went to the tune of 400 bucks and then add on a couple hundred for new brakes...=/ if any thing i would take it to a independent mechanic and have them do the stuff you cant/dont want to do...JMHO

1 - 4 of 4 Posts