Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive not seen a single Element with over 100,000 miles on it, have you?

If you have one , please tell me what was the biggest repairs you have had so far with over 100K miles.

thanks

(edit: mine is pushing 60K and I feel like I need to trade it in, even though it has needed nothing but oil changes in ~60 thousand miles)

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Our Element just hit 130k. Granted we bought it in december with 124k on it.. so we have not had any problems with it yet lol. The previous owner bought it new, and other than the dreaded coolant system issue on the 03-04 models, He never had a single problem with it. Me being OCD about maintenance, i am slowly going thru it and replacing all of the fluids etc. It really needs new struts, and i have to do the brakes pretty soon (This will be the first time they have been changed, the previous owner drove mostly freeway) After lots of buffing/polishing/steam cleaning, it looks and drives like a brand new car. In my experience with my 03 accord v6 sedan (with 140k) as long as you do the recommended services (In my case change every fluid in the car every year or so just for the fun of it lol) The element is a great little car that its amazingly reliable compared to most cars out there (My moms Ford Explorer for example)

·
Registered
139 Posts
06. 174k. No significant repairs...

And...if it helps, just returned from a cross country (well....from Mobile, AL, to Montana and back 5200 mile roadie) and no problems. 10% grades, way loaded down...

In fact, I haven't...gasp....

-changed the spark plugs, the original set is still there
-changed the air filter but once (I do have a K and N that I do the maintenance on that)

AND, I have
-just changed my brakes for the first time
-the tranny fluid has been changed once (its been looked at a fair number of times, but they don't recommend changing it)
-changed the interior air filter once

I've had about three sets of tires on it(currently on my third set with a LOT of wear left).

Yeah, I think you might be getting new car-itis, because these beasts don't run down at 100k.

Besides having the oil changed every 5k, I have spent:

$400 on new OEM brakes at the local Honda dealership
$75 on the K and N filter

and, as they say on the cartoons, "that's all, folks.":lol:

I've spent more on add on's than that...

·
Registered
65 Posts

If you have one , please tell me what was the biggest repairs you have had so far with over 100K miles.

thanks

(edit: mine is pushing 60K and I feel like I need to trade it in, even though it has needed nothing but oil changes in ~60 thousand miles)
I have 2 '05's both about 50k, dead stone reliable vehicles. ( I am knocking on wood) Since I work at a multi-line dealer including Honda, I get a good $ on parts and vehicles and would consider a new E. But I want a stick shift and don't need 4WD.
I think mine are keepers, my wife and I both love ours.
No major issues ever with either one. I do all the servicing, brakes, tires, accessories myself.Former tech in the '70's /'80's and parts guy for 30 years.
I guess we're goin' for the high-mileage award.

·
Registered
163 Posts

thanks

at 80K now and I bought the car with 40K. This is my first element and 5th honda. You never know what you're going get when you buy used. It was certified and I bought a warranty through Honda care but aside from the manifold being replaced, all other things have been suspension related including front tierod ends, sway bar links and bushings, rear struts, sway bar links and busings, front steering knuckles wheel bearings. I thinks thats it. But I am determind to drive this thing until it dies. That was my intention with my 03 civic but a guy smashed into me and it was totaled. and for the record I still really like my element and glad for the warranty but I am sure mine is a rare case.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Soooo...the feeling is based on...?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
IIRC, Locksmith's E, which he uses as his mobile locksmithing truck, broke 200,000 a couple years ago already.
You are correct sir! Just a couple oil changes away from 300k now. It's actually taken this long to have some significant events occur. Soon as I have those odo pics I plan on doing another state of the E post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ive got 55k on my 07 i bought new. its been all over the west coast on road trips and recently moved me from az-co. over 1000 miles loaded with everything i own and speeding most of the way and i still averaged 25 mpg. the only problem i have had with it is my passenger side window fell off the track. i plan on keeping this car until it dies which wont be for a while.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The engine, transmission, engine asessories, some of the driveline parts, etc....are just standard Honda stuff.....right out of their corporate parts bin.....that lasts hundreds of thousands of miles in their other vehicles. No reason to expect any different for the Element. Just don't get behind on the maintenance and repairs as it ages, and I don't see why it won't go a couple hundred thousand miles or more, if you wish to drive it that long. It's always cheaper to repair than replace it. Shucks....just the sales tax (in Florida anyway) on a new one will about replace a transmission. If you still like it....drive it. Why use up investible funds to buy a depreciating asset, when you can just keep driving what you already own?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you still like it....drive it. Why use up investible funds to buy a depreciating asset, when you can just keep driving what you already own?
Very good point, after thinking about it I am probably gonna keep it, 85% sure anyways , thanks

And thanks to all who have replied!! I suppose I was looking for a "Get rid of it, its gonna die soon!" or something to that effect.
------:lol: ;-)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts