Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Replaced my horn today on my 05 EX and saw this yellow plug to the left of the horn area behind the grill? What is this yellow plug and what does it do? Mine seems to be in rough shape and about to need replacement. Any incite would be great, I wasnt able to find anything by just searching the web. Thank you.
BDC8B0CD-7EFD-491E-956C-BEA33CFBE932.jpeg
3146854F-7C2A-44FC-B6C8-5F31A406045B.jpeg

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I'm only guessing because no one else has answered you. I know the Element has some preinstalled wiring for fog lights which is supposed to be in that area. Maybe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for answering, i had no idea so anything helps. The lights have been dimmer so that kind of makes sense. Again thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Thank you so much for answering, i had no idea so anything helps. The lights have been dimmer so that kind of makes sense. Again thanks for the input.
Sorry I couldn't help more. My '08 is two versions later than yours and it's all different. As long as that plug isn't connected to anything, I wouldn't worry about it. How many wires going to it?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Please beware...

My understanding is that the yellow plug pictured is part of your Supplemental Restraint System or AIRBAG system...
It is essentially part of a system of sensors that determines if you're undergoing a collision, triggering your airbag(s) to inflate.

Please be careful.

My understanding is that there was an airbag death while someone was working on their car.
(For clarity: The report I read claimed the rupture occurred while an individual, who was not the vehicle owner, was attempting to perform unknown repairs inside the vehicle using a hammer while the ignition switch was in the “on” position.) As an active "Shade Tree Mechanic" myself, I'm not trying to scare anyone, and I feel horrible for a loss of life while trying to fix/modify something... It is gut-wrenching to me.

Another example of these types of yellow connectors and wiring can be found under the seats, if your vehicle is so equipped...
(I'm pretty sure your 2005 EX had side airbags in the seats standard... if I recall correctly.)

To your original post, no matter the visual appearance, if the airbag light is not on, the system should be operating properly, and I would not unplug anything yellow with the battery connected. (I disconnected battery cables before removing a front passenger seat just the other day... because I knew it had side airbags.)

-brad

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
This is from my repair manual on the '08.

The poster has an '03 DX which is obviously different but you're right that a yellow plug would certainly be an impact sensor. This new board certainly likes to make getting crucial information difficult.
I took the poster's question to mean that they had a loose plug hanging unaccounted for which would be pretty hard to do if it's part of the airbag system.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
...Replaced my horn today on my 05 EX and saw this yellow plug to the left of the horn area behind the grill? What is this yellow plug and what does it do?...
Please forgive me for editing CasimirChelseaTrips' quote, but I see:
  • 05 EX
  • yellow plug (specifically, the yellow plug pictured)
This is why I responded as I did...

-brad

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I'm glad you showed me that. I missed it in the post and went to the poster's profile which shows '03 DX. Now I'm more curious about the difference in the sensors between the two models. The setup on the '08 is obviously different than the '05 but I have no manual for the older one.

One bright side: If the poster did set off the airbags while working in front, they'd be safely outside of the danger zone if those inflators went off and burst. In this day and age, you've gotta take the good parts where you can find them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, i would have to agree that the yellow piece is most likely the air bag sensor. It is connected currently so i wont mess with it. Don’t have the original car manual so i was just curious what the piece did. Thanks again im sure i will have more questions as i work on the car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Definitely airbags...you dont want to mess with that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts