Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element EX 5MT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is this? Photos are from the rear of my 2004 EX 5MT (spare tire compartment at the top of the photo)
Looks like maybe a bushing that’s completely gone. Possible this could be the knocking I hear going over bumps?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
331 Posts
Differential dynamic dampener... Check out: DORMAN 924441
(I think that was the one I bought to replace the old)

It's literally a weight suspended in rubber bushing... If it rattles, replace it...
It's a bit of a puzzle getting it out and new one in, but only 1 screw if I recall correctly...

Replace the bushings holding your EX sway bar while you're under there... That's another "high-likelihood" noise maker...
(Also, the front lower arm bushings are famous for noise over bumps, but it sounds like you're chasing something in the rear?)

Good Luck!
Brad

·
Registered
2004 Honda Element EX 5MT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Differential dynamic dampener... Check out: DORMAN 924441
(I think that was the one I bought to replace the old)

It's literally a weight suspended in rubber bushing... If it rattles, replace it...
It's a bit of a puzzle getting it out and new one in, but only 1 screw if I recall correctly...

Replace the bushings holding your EX sway bar while you're under there... That's another "high-likelihood" noise maker...
(Also, the front lower arm bushings are famous for noise over bumps, but it sounds like you're chasing something in the rear?)

Good Luck!
Brad
Thank you @KargoMaster!! Very helpful!
I haven’t worked on a car in over 20 years and that was a 1970 VW beetle, but I’m (probably too over) confident I can do this.
I have noises coming from everywhere, mostly from bad shocks but the knocking in the rear had me stumped.
Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2004 Element EX-S AWD 6MT = “Zippy”
331 Posts
Ohhhhhh yeah! That was at least some of the noise! 😬👍

Brad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts