Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My tailpipe rusted off, my muffler is clanging around and my resonator is bent and banged up from years ago. I need to replace the exhaust up to the cat. OEM exhaust is $478 minimum. But I can get Walker 56124 on Amazon for $189. I want the exhaust to be quiet and efficient, not growly or can o bees, etc. I have read enough reviews about Bosal that I think I want to avoid them because they are noisy. Anybody have opinions about replacement mufflers?

Also, might replacing the mufflers end my PO420 code and increase my 19 city MPG? Or should I also invest in a new upstream O2 sensor to try to stop the PO 420 and improve fuel efficiency?

edit: minimum OEM exhaust is $478, not $78 as I originally posted.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Make sure the cat flange is still good, otherwise you’d have to mod or replace that too. Hopefully you can use a clamp flange rather than replace the cat.
My 2008 is in pretty good condition so I would get the OEM, it’s made to last. I still have the OEM and it works great and is nice and quiet; only had to replace the gaskets and add a clamp flange myself. But with a 2003, it may not be worth the cost depending on how long you intend to keep the vehicle running. The aftermarket pipes don’t seem to have a long life span.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Make sure the cat flange is still good, otherwise you’d have to mod or replace that too. Hopefully you can use a clamp flange rather than replace the cat.
My 2008 is in pretty good condition so I would get the OEM, it’s made to last. I still have the OEM and it works great and is nice and quiet; only had to replace the gaskets and add a clamp flange myself. But with a 2003, it may not be worth the cost depending on how long you intend to keep the vehicle running. The aftermarket pipes don’t seem to have a long life span.
I had to replace the Cat a couple years ago, but I chose a cheap one.

I already purchased a Walker tailpipe when my mechanic said he could weld it on. But then he said I needed a new muffler after he got it on the lift. And the resonator is really banged up...happened the same time when I damaged the Cat.

I plan to keep my Element for the foreseeable future. But The $300 difference in cost between OEM and Walker is hard on my pocketbook. Is that basically my only choice: OEM or cheaping out with a Walker?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And, would it be a worthwhile expense to buy a new $120 NTK upstream O2 sensor? I replaced the downstream O2 sensor a few years back with a Denso.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I suggest you go OEM with the both the muffler and the sensor. Check out hondacarpartsdirect.com.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Last year part of the metal hangar on center pipe broke. Took it to my dealer to have that area / piece welded back. As they began the process of removing the center pipe the cat and all connecting areas on either end turned to dust ! If a high mileage Element and original system, just keep that in mind if they intend to poke around down there for exhaust work....it can add up quickly.

I ended up having to purchase entire new system including new cat - installed it came to about $2,600.00 - and they cut me a break on parts AND labor too....

Reactions: Palmer22

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My original exhaust was starting to rot away at one of the flanges and I opted for the Walker components due to affordability. My cat is still Honda original, just everything behind that is Walker. I do most of my own work so when the Walker stuff goes bad I'll just throw more Walker stuff back in. I noticed no difference in sound or performance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: On the OBD/TorxLite display, it appeared that Bank1, Sensor 2 (downstream) O2 sensor was showing variable readings while the Bank1, Sensor 1 (upstream) O2 sensor was showing no activity. Guess I need a new O2 sensor. I think I used Denso when I replaced the Bank1, Sensor 2 (downstream) O2 sensor. Any feedback on Denso sensors? For 2003, were OEM Denso or NTK? Would they both work about the same?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While looking for O2 sensors, I found an OEM used sensor for $18.63! Came from an 07 Acura, but the part number matches. Any feelings about installing a used sensor? I will be paying a mechanic...

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,315 Posts
I have swapped them between my old Accords (bought a new one for the Accord I was going to keep, put the used one in an Accord I was rescuing to resell). If it works, it is a good deal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
While looking for O2 sensors, I found an OEM used sensor for $18.63! Came from an 07 Acura, but the part number matches. Any feelings about installing a used sensor? I will be paying a mechanic...
Still interested to know everyone's answer about used O2 sensors. However, it looks like the ebay seller mis-listed the part number. While there are 2005-6 Acuras that use the same sensor as the Element, this sensor was taken from a 2007 Acura, which uses a different part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts