Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! My family of four (Daughter 4 and Son 7 months) are going to start camping together as a family! My wife and I have camped for a few years but alas our Ozark Trail dome tent is outgrown. I am looking for a family size tent that is pretty inexpensive, what do you recommend? I have been reading these forums for a while and a lot of you seem to be the ultimate authority on camping! Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have really like the Coleman Weather Tech tents for inexpensive family tents. The design has changed some and not for the better but still a great tent for the price. On the Coleman website search for the "Family Store" and when prompted enter the code "Family". That will get you the friends and family discount which can be as much a 45%.

Remember to add a person when thinking of a tent and the number of people it sleeps, especially for car/base/family camping.

Others will chime in shortly with their suggestions. Welcome to the club and happy camping.

·
Registered
816 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought the Element tent (or SUV tent) the one that connects to the E. I will be using that and I paid only $270 for it on eBay. Its a 10ft x 10ft tent (sleeps 6 PLUS you can put some in the E) and stands about 7ft tall.

I was hoping to have a trip under my belt with it already but not until next summer now!:-(

·
Registered
895 Posts
We just got an ASP 3 by Sierra Designs this spring for $112.00 at REI this spring. We've used it twice so far this year, one two night trip and one seven night trip. It did very well. Easy to set up, light handled high winds (50+mph) and downpours. Plus it had plenty of room for my sweetie and me plus our gear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
My wife and I purchased this in a "4 person" which they don't seem to carry anymore. It's a good quality product, and a snap to set up. The thing about the Hobitat design that I love is I am 6'1" and I can stand up inside without being hunched over while getting dressed in the morning, probably the biggest selling point for me. The stowed size in the zippered bag is very small too.

A tent that I was considering was this one made by Kelty. Over the years I have heard from many folks that bought Kelty products that the company will stand by its products and replaces or repairs ANY damage that occurs. Something to think about for long life of a product, and again the interior standing height is why I chose the "Hobitat 4" instead.

Good luck finding the tent you need, hope these comments help!

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
PastorJosh, if you're going to be car camping (where size and weight arent' big factors), you should look at the "tents" that fit into the new pop-up canopies. I saw one this summer and it has all the room you could ask for and sets up quickly. You can also get a screen insert if airflow is more critical than privacy. Wal-Mart carries them but perhaps other vendors also. Just be sure to stake and guy the assembly well or it could end up in Oz.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
As an owner of a Kelty green river 4, I can honestly say they are phenomenal tents. If you are looking into a larger family size tent, the Kelty marked above is about the best way to go. My ONLY complaint is that they don't fit conveniently into the garage I have to dry if it was raining when we took it down.

·
Registered
895 Posts
That is a very nice looking tent! I like the vestibule design. Great price too!!!
You can still find them on line for a good price. The vestibules are are really nice and you could cook in them if you needed to.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes, one of my tents has the vestibule and it makes those rainy mornings much better when you can sit in your tent and start your coffee under shelter.

Lots of choices in tents. It is always helpful to know the destination in mind when choosing the tent. The warmer the weather the greater the need for ventilation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts