Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an interesting writeup that Honda sent around to all the dealers several years back on their service policies.

• Do not use oil additives. As an authorized Honda dealer, you are responsible for accurately representing the information in the owner's manual. Honda owner’s manuals state that engine and transmission oil additives are unnecessary.
Recommending and selling oil additives creates unnecessary expenses for our
customers.

• Fill tires with dry, compressed air only. Our research has shown that there is no practical value added from filling tires with nitrogen. Therefore, only fill tires with dry, compressed air, which is already approximately 80 percent nitrogen.

• Do not perform engine flushing on the lubrication system. There is absolutely
no reason to perform engine oil system flushing as a maintenance procedure.
American Honda’s Tech Line is hearing about an increasing number of cases in
which catastrophic engine failures have occurred soon after this procedure was performed. The expense of engine failures that occur after this procedure has been performed will be the dealer’s responsibility.

• Fuel injection (induction) cleaning/flushing is not recommended by American
Honda. This is an unnecessary maintenance procedure and an improper repair
procedure. If a Honda vehicle is experiencing a fuel injector malfunction, the
faulty injector should be replaced.

• Only perform oil changes in accordance with the maintenance schedule. All
vehicles have a model-specific established maintenance schedule that can be
accessed on the vehicle’s maintenance minder or in the owner’s manual. By
recommending increased frequency of oil changes, the customer’s cost of
ownership increases, which causes unnecessary inconvenience, wastes vast
quantities of natural resources, and creates hundreds of thousands of gallons of hazardous waste.

• Do not use transmission flushing machines. In the very rare instance where a flushing process is necessary (such as to remove improper fluids), a procedure is available which does not require special tools. Use of additives, solvents, cleaners or conditioners as part of a flush or as a performance enhancer is absolutely unnecessary and may affect transmission shift quality that would not be warrantable by Honda. Transmission fluid replacement (not flushing) should be recommended only at the mileage intervals specified in the owner's manual.
-As an example, the transmission fluid replacement interval for a 2001 Accord is 120,000 miles under normal use and 60,000 miles under severe use. If you wish to use a flushing machine to reduce repair time, you should be aware of the risks associated with loosening fittings to connect the equipment, and you should use only Genuine Honda Transmission Fluid as your flush medium. Honda expects that service costs would be the same or less when using flush equipment; otherwise, we recommend against its use as it offers no significant benefit to consumers.

• Engine cooling system flushing is recommended only if the customer has installed incorrect coolant in their engine. In the very rare instance when flushing is necessary, a procedure is available that does not require the use of special tools. There is no difference in the service interval for coolant replacement between normal and severe conditions. Using a 2001 Accord again for an example, the recommended coolant replacement interval is 120,000 miles and every 60,000 miles thereafter. There is no justifiable reason to recommend coolant replacement more often.
-If you wish to use a flushing machine to reduce repair time, you should be aware of the risks associated with loosening fittings to connect the equipment and you should use only Genuine Honda Coolant as your flush medium. Honda expects that service costs would be the same or less when using flush equipment, otherwise we recommend against its use as it offers no significant benefit to the consumer. Use of cooling system flushing machines that “recondition” the existing coolant should never be used, as the procedure cannot completely reverse the chemical deterioration that occurs to the coolant during use.

Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/element.html

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's a great post -- I only wish all dealerships understood the message. I can't tell you how many times I've had to try and educate a service writer at a dealership about the "recommended" maintenance necessary. Since 95% of people rely exclusively on the service writer to tell them what their car "needs" when it's in for service, you can bet it's incredibly lucrative for service departments to upsell these unnecessary services all day long.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The dealership where I bought mine (Victory Honda of Jackson Tn) offered "free" lifetime oil changes. I didn't pay much attention to that since they were 100 miles away and I would never take them up on the offer anyhow. When I got my free oil change coupon booklet, I was required to buy injector cleaner one time and then pay for tire rotation the next time when I got my "free" oil changes. The oil they use is Pennzoil.

(((• Fuel injection (induction) cleaning/flushing is not recommended by American
Honda. This is an unnecessary maintenance procedure and an improper repair
procedure. If a Honda vehicle is experiencing a fuel injector malfunction, the
faulty injector should be replaced.)))

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
WOW, great info Trevor!!! Im guessing that there are a TON of dealers that
are going nuts after reading this!!! Their sales are going to drop quit a bit I
bet! Im also betting that there are those totally evil dealerships that will do
anything in their power to make sure their clients/customers do NOT see that
letter!! It is so nice to be on a forum where information really is power!!!

Thanks again Trevor!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
My mechanic checked the pH and other conditions of my coolant and said I should get it flushed soon..... should I not do it now? It says "rare instances".

I'm at 60k miles

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Everything on that list is what I've been saying for years.

When you build reliable cars, being that most dealer profit is in the service department, the dealers have apparently been getting too creative in finding ways to bilk the customer. Props to Honda for calling them on it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good info. Thanks!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mechanic checked the pH and other conditions of my coolant and said I should get it flushed soon..... should I not do it now? It says "rare instances".

I'm at 60k miles
If the PH level shows it needs changed then I'd go with that. Honda is just trying to discourage the dealers from charging people for items that aren't needed.

Trevor

Genuine Factory Honda Element Accessories

1 - 9 of 9 Posts