Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone use Amsoil in their elements? i heard it was a really good quality of oil and was just asking if anyone else had heard anything?:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just talked to my Honda mech and said that Honda did not recommend a fully synthetic oil. They use a partial synthetic oil. Let me know what you think. The pads were just replaced on the rear brakes and they make a scraping noise, the rotors were not turned. The Honda guy said they do not turn the rotors unless there is a noise. I am going to have my brother take a look at them.
Rod

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I don't know if i'm going to switch to synthetic, because Honda really doesn't say much about using it, and they would know!

·
Registered
106 Posts
My first job was as an oil changer/grease monkey for a small 20 truck cartage firm.
(I wasn't old enough for a license, and didn't know how to drive. They taught me quick)
Full oil/filter change and grease job every saturday.
Took me 6 hours.

But when I went to school, working 2 jobs, and raising family, I still did my own oil changes. In those days Pennsoil was considered good.
Then I got old and crawling under a car was not an option and had to go to local service center.

So I'm a bit out of the loop as to what oil is a good choice for the Element.
I'm leaning toward Mobil Synthetic, as that was good for my previous machines.

Any good/bad/uglies concerning Mobil Synthetic?

·
Registered
730 Posts
That's what I use....just did my second oil change on my E last weekend.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
2nd the Mobil-1, which is what I use.

Mobil provides the synthetic base stock for a lot of the other syn-brands.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've used Mobil1 5W20 since we got our '08 new. It now has 30K and all is well. Almost time for it again before the winter begins. This time I'm thinking of trying Mobil 1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy to see if there's any improvement(skeptical).

I've been using Mobil 1 5W40 in the Dodge HD/Cummins and likely will continue its use.

The boutique oils are just overpriced imo. That includes RP, Redline and Amsoil. Mobil1 can be had right now for $21 for a 5 quart jug at Chinamart. That's $4.20 a quart. The others can't come close to that price.

If Castrol Edge had a 5W20 I might give it a shot, but they don't.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've used Mobil1 5W20 since we got our '08 new. It now has 30K and all is well. Almost time for it again before the winter begins. This time I'm thinking of trying Mobil 1 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy to see if there's any improvement(skeptical).

I've been using Mobil 1 5W40 in the Dodge HD/Cummins and likely will continue its use.

The boutique oils are just overpriced imo. That includes RP, Redline and Amsoil. Mobil1 can be had right now for $21 for a 5 quart jug at Chinamart. That's $4.20 a quart. The others can't come close to that price.

If Castrol Edge had a 5W20 I might give it a shot, but they don't.

You can use the castrol edge 5w30, its not much thicker than mobil 1 5w20 and its a little thinner than honda genuine 5w20.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_5W-20.asp

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...cal_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_Castrol_EDGE.pdf

You can compair the cSt numbers and see that its not that much of a viscosity difference. Also there has been talk for a while about mobil 1 and its wear on cams, but thats a different disscussion. I have used a lot of different brands and the smoothest was pennzoil platnium 5w20 but I like to try things out so right now I have honda genuine 5w20 but next change I'm going to put chevron supreme 5w30 in because I use it in my other car and its the thinnest 5w30 you can buy. It works well in my other car so I'll see how it does in the E.

https://www.cbest.chevron.com/generated/MSDS/PDS20366769.PDF

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Edge. Platinum is all that? It's not even a true synthetic.
I know but in the E it is the best I've tryed. I guess we are all just lucky that the E is a cheap date. $21 dollers for a jug at walmart and not sure if it still on the pennzoil site but there was a $10 mail in rebate. Also if you do try the edge that is $26 for a jug and they have a $10 mail in rebate on the castrol site for that as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Advanced Auto Parts has a special this month on Edge and Syntec. 5 quarts of either oil and a Pure One filter for $24.99. Not bad, huh?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Advanced Auto Parts has a special this month on Edge and Syntec. 5 quarts of either oil and a Pure One filter for $24.99. Not bad, huh?
WOW, you should look at the rebate because if you bought it in quart botttles I think the rebate was $15 so that would be $10 for a synthetic oil change! Crazy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just changed the oil on both my Honda's. I got Valovoline full synthetic on sale for $3.99/quart. I bought enough for both cars. Otherwise I get Mobil1 for $5 quart. Usually the Farm and Fleet I go to has one or the other on sale.

I won't use anything that is not 5W-20, so that limits the synthetic options.

An a Honda A01 filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use

Mobil 1 5W30 - works great. I've been doing my own oil changes on the E for the last two years. Only issue I have is the reach for the filter.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W-20 oil myself, together w/the Mobil 1 oil filter.

Stay away from Fram oil filters. They're know to disintegrate in the engine. You get what you pay for w/the Frams, a $2.00 filter. Fram is also know to manufacture, at least some, of the Honda filters, so I wouldn't use their's as well.

I would like to use the German Castrol synthetic oil, but it only comes in 0W-30 weight. :-( It's what I always used in my BMW 330Ci, year round, with 5000 mile oil changes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
for the 3 coldest months of winter I have been running 0-20W. Synthetic or not. Engine seems to run quieter especially right after startup.
Funny you say that, just picked up AMSOIL 0w20 for that very reason.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
There have been several threads containing this topic ! Many members have voiced an opinion. The vast majority have been Pro synthetic. In fact I use it in my Element.

Several articles have been published about the Pro's and Con's.

This is one of the best I have seen!

Dom

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
There have been several threads containing this topic ! Many members have voiced an opinion. The vast majority have been Pro synthetic. In fact I use it in my Element.

Several articles have been published about the Pro's and Con's.

This is one of the best I have seen!

Dom
I've been using synthetic oil for years, and the only real problem, as noted in that article, was w/the gasket seals, but that was w/the seals that where once used, and not with what is being used now-a-days. Don't get me wrong, the oil wasn't exactly gushing out either. I never had to add any oil between changes, but I did have to wash the engine down once in a while. Anyway, this isn't an issue anymore w/todays engines.

The Germans are big supporters of using synthetic oil in their cars. My Porsche calls for it, 0W-40 Mobil 1, my old BMW called for it, Castrol Syntec 5W-30, and I know Mercedes does, as I believe Volkwagan and Audi does.

The Japanese don't call for it in any of their vehicles, though that may of recently changed. They say nothing against using it, they just don't call for it in their vehicles.

Here in the US, the only one callling for it exclusive use is Chevolet in their Corvette. I don't believe any other American car calls for it, though that may have recently changed as well.

I don't know about the Koreans.

Using synthetic oil, not only in my engine, but throughout my powertrain (M/T and Differential), I've gotten as much as 2 to 3 mpg mileage improvement in my past cars and trucks. I wish I could use it in my Element's M/T and rear differential, but Honda calls for the use of their special oil, and it's not recommended to use anything else from what I've read.

This site here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php is the best that I have ever found. They test the oils, as well as the oil filters.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts