Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have been searching for a 2010 AWD EX with Nav, but there is nothing available. So what other pet friendly cars/SUVs are out there. The Toyota Venza was listed as a contender, but it is at much higher price point and seems too luxurious to throw our dog in.

What other pet friendly vehicles did you consider before the E?

·
Registered
941 Posts
My last dog mobile was a Colt Vista wagon Don't think you can get one if you wanted one Other then that I drove mini vans with most of the seats removed. Really depends on the size of dog do they have to be able to enter by them selfs or can you pick them up and place the dog in?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The new Subaru Forester.

I love mine and it has plenty of dog room.

The non-turbo X models start at $20K for the base model with a 5 speed stick, or about $22K for the base auto. Adding the "Premium package" with moonroof, tinted windows, power seat, roof rails, 17 inch alloy wheels, reclining back seats and some other stuff ads another $1500 or so.

My '09 is the base model. Nice car with great all wheel drive and decent standard equipment. The only parts of the Premium package I've missed in 12,000 miles- tinted windows.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Honda Elements are that hard to find?

I didn't know the EX with a nav system was that special. Some things are worth waiting for. The Element is the only vehicle I've ever looked at which seemed designed for dogs.

If Elements, including mine, vanished from the face of the Earth I'd look hard at the Ford Flex.

A fellow Samoyed owner has one and loves it. Her big male Sammy's crate fits in the back no prob and he jumps in and out with ease. She also fits a scooter in there.

They're nice looking, more powerful than the Element. And more expensive with the low end MSRP around $28.

Yep, I'd be test driving the Flex, Outback and other station wagons (can hardly believe I said that but they look more practical as I age). As Gidget ages, the ease of getting into a lower car is a factor.

But I love my Element so much I'll have to get her an E-elevator.

Good luck!

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Well we have been searching for a 2010 AWD EX with Nav, but there is nothing available. So what other pet friendly cars/SUVs are out there. The Toyota Venza was listed as a contender, but it is at much higher price point and seems too luxurious to throw our dog in.

What other pet friendly vehicles did you consider before the E?
Really depends on the size of the dog ;-)

We had no problem with a MINI Cooper and two French Bulldogs. Folded down the rear seat backs, and added a custom-fit pet cargo mat from PoochStyle.

MINI is just getting ready to release the Countryman - 4 door, with available 4 wheel drive.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/02/23/mini-countryman-getaway-video-released/

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go with a EX without nav and add your own. Mine is less expensive and has way more functionality than the stock nav.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
+1 for getting the Element EX without the factory nav.

If you really like the E, any decent stereo shop has many good radio with nav options for you at less than the factory cost. Even the $200 portables are far better than the factory nav units.

Geez the factory nav on a Subaru Forester is over $800! Can buy a heck of a lot better aftermarket for that dough.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
+1 for getting the Element EX without the factory nav.

If you really like the E, any decent stereo shop has many good radio with nav options for you at less than the factory cost. Even the $200 portables are far better than the factory nav units.

Geez the factory nav on a Subaru Forester is over $800! Can buy a heck of a lot better aftermarket for that dough.
Good advice - many of the in-dash after-market Navs are way better than the OEM ones for a LOT less $$$. Or go portable - then the nav can move from vehicle to vehicle. Or go Tom-Tom on the iphone or ipod, with the Tom tom Apple car kit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the feedback. Its not so much the Nav that's hard to find as it is the AWD. I've searched dealerships within 500 miles and there is nothing. We are going to attend weekend long lure coursing events so we really need to cram a lot of stuff in there along with the dogs for some long trips. I really like the looks of the Ford Flex, but its a "FORD" and I am still scarred from my teenage Pinto experience! I will check out the Forester and let you know what I think. As for the Nav package, I was not sold on this at all until I learned you could control your IPod with it. Forgive my lack of tech savy, but can aftermarkets stereo/Nav units do that???

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Thanks to all for the feedback. Its not so much the Nav that's hard to find as it is the AWD. I've searched dealerships within 500 miles and there is nothing. We are going to attend weekend long lure coursing events so we really need to cram a lot of stuff in there along with the dogs for some long trips. I really like the looks of the Ford Flex, but its a "FORD" and I am still scarred from my teenage Pinto experience! I will check out the Forester and let you know what I think. As for the Nav package, I was not sold on this at all until I learned you could control your IPod with it. Forgive my lack of tech savy, but can aftermarkets stereo/Nav units do that???
Absolutely, many or even most aftermarket units that I've seen have built in iPod controls. Hell the built-in ones are usually some of last to get any new feature.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
22 Posts
totally depends on your dog(s),
I have 2 boxers, and while they will "fit" in many different rides, short of putting them in the back of a pickup or a cargo van...........

they have short little hairs that stick in EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING

the element with the seat cover in the back ( or the seats out ) cant be beat, if you travel with your dogs alot you will soon learn to love the rubber flooring and upholstery they use in the e's (even without the covers)

my wife and i drove a bunch of other cars, and there are alot of good ones out there...................

But our dogs would quickly make their presence known in any car with a more plush interior

We haven't had our E for all too long, but so far we're very impressed with how dog resistant it is

1 - 12 of 12 Posts