Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying an '03 Element EX. It has 136K miles on it but drives and looks good. What issues have members on this board had with early Elements?
Many thanks for any feedback, first Element but have wanted one for years.
Cheers
Mike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had mine until last month and loved it. The windsheild broke once, i changed my insurance to cover "acts of God" with $100. deductable but it never happened again. I loved it so much that when it got totaled by a mean tree, I bought a new Element, four days ago. Mine only had 75k though so much less milage than the one you are looking at.

Edit-here is mine after the total.:shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
OUCH!! Not too much to look out for on the 03s other then the rocking seat, an easy fix and the windshield witch seels to get hits in all the years. Only thing that I had go bad is one of the rear shocks. Other then that its been a great car.

·
Registered
244 Posts
my 03

Across Manhattan almost every day for 6 years and 75k miles - new tires, brakes, one windshield, battery, clutch master cylinder(after 1000 miles - no problem warranty claim for a squeek). Diff fluid and coolant, that's it. My seat rocks, and some dash lights are out. It has developed some squeeks and rattles, but nothing major.

Do get the coolant changed and the rear diff fluid changed right away, though, if you don't know when it was done. We had some issues on these boards early on with clogged heater cores and grinding rear ends. Cheap insurance. What are you paying?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys, noob to the forum. I also just test drove an 03 Element here up on Canada. Once I sat in the driver seat and looked behind me at the huge cargo space I was pretty much SOLD!!! :razz:

Can someone let me know any other major work that needs to be done at (120k = 75 miles).

It did have one accident under $800 on the front passenger side and hasn't been driven in 2-3 months. All the help and advice I can help will be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to get it and put a 3" lift on it :shock:.

PS. Anyone in Vancouver, BC know a good trustworthy mechanic that can take a look my future car? Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have and 04 with 126k on it.. we just bought it, so i can't attest to its previous reliability.. but so far its been great!! I would definitely check the vin on the one you are looking at, see if it was part of the famous coolant contamination problem. Ours was, and it had the radiator, heater core, and all of its hoses replaced before we bought it. I also had to replace the thermostat because it was stuck open. At 90-100k it is a good idea to replace the fluids such as trans/rear diff/brake etc.. Also the spark plugs are due at 105k and they are not cheap!! Other than that, its just basic maintenance, and yes the rear shocks suck on this car.. i know mine are bad, just have not gotten around to crawling under her yet!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey guys, noob to the forum. I also just test drove an 03 Element here up on Canada. Once I sat in the driver seat and looked behind me at the huge cargo space I was pretty much SOLD!!! :razz:

Can someone let me know any other major work that needs to be done at (120k = 75 miles).

It did have one accident under $800 on the front passenger side and hasn't been driven in 2-3 months. All the help and advice I can help will be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to get it and put a 3" lift on it :shock:.

PS. Anyone in Vancouver, BC know a good trustworthy mechanic that can take a look my future car? Thanks!
I would say just look at all the wear items... Brakes, tires, belts etc. Check all of the fluids, see what kind of shape they are in etc... I always replace all of the fluids in any used car i purchase, and its not too hard if you know what you are doing. If not expect to spend a few hundred at the dealer to have them do it. The only real service needed would be replacing the plugs, they are about 20+ dollars a piece.. thank god there are only 4! Biggest thing to watch out for would be the coolant contamination issue. Take of the radiator cap and look at the condition of the coolant. U should be able to see shiny silver metal thru the green or blue antifreeze.. if u see any type of corrosion.. or if the fluid is rust colored, then u might want to think twice!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would say just look at all the wear items... Brakes, tires, belts etc. Check all of the fluids, see what kind of shape they are in etc... I always replace all of the fluids in any used car i purchase, and its not too hard if you know what you are doing. If not expect to spend a few hundred at the dealer to have them do it. The only real service needed would be replacing the plugs, they are about 20+ dollars a piece.. thank god there are only 4! Biggest thing to watch out for would be the coolant contamination issue. Take of the radiator cap and look at the condition of the coolant. U should be able to see shiny silver metal thru the green or blue antifreeze.. if u see any type of corrosion.. or if the fluid is rust colored, then u might want to think twice!
Thanks for the advice, I didn't get a chance to look at all the fluids under the hood as it was raining and dark. I will definitely take closer look next time I get a chance. That whole coolant thing is making me worried. Is the coolant tank gonna corrode and leak? Was there a recall? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
123 Posts
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55122

Read thru this link.. it will tell you all about it.. and the vin #s that were effected.
We bought our element in the dark as well... Definitely go look at it in the daylight at least once.. we found a lot of scratches and dents that we didn't know were there.. even though i looked over every inch with a flashlight (the car was not available to look at during the day) :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55122

Read thru this link.. it will tell you all about it.. and the vin #s that were effected.
We bought our element in the dark as well... Definitely go look at it in the daylight at least once.. we found a lot of scratches and dents that we didn't know were there.. even though i looked over every inch with a flashlight (the car was not available to look at during the day) :(
Thanks for the link, it appears that the VIN# is not in the range:razz:... But I will take a look at it this weekend during the day time and make a decision by then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
DONE!!! I am officially in the club boys and girls. 2003 Orange Element 120KM and many more KMs to add on :razz:

Will be saving up some accessories and that sweet 3" lift :evil:

Any immediate add-ons anyone recommends? I will try post some pictures when I get a chance, but it's an EX 4WD with side steps and roof racks. Drove it 40KMs just now and it's like tank on the highway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
we're going to check out a 2wd 5spd LX on Sat...assuming it hasn't sold be then...

I have to say that this site is def' the most informative Auto forum I've seen. And after owning a couple VW's, an Xterra, and a couple of Ford trucks that says a lot...hopefully this E fits the bill and we have own it Sat eve...

·
Registered
118 Posts
...I didn't get a chance to look at all the fluids under the hood as it was raining and dark.
My number 1 rule is never, ever, ever, ever examine and test drive a car at night. :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good thread. I'm also looking at an 03 with 77k miles. AWD, one owner. I'm glad that the first year models don't have too many issues. Trying to determine whether it's an EX or LX. Has alloy wheels. Also, the cladding is black, not paint-matched. Is this an LX? Haven't been able to talk to the owner yet. Price seems a bit high at $10k.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Good thread. I'm also looking at an 03 with 77k miles. AWD, one owner. I'm glad that the first year models don't have too many issues. Trying to determine whether it's an EX or LX. Has alloy wheels. Also, the cladding is black, not paint-matched. Is this an LX? Haven't been able to talk to the owner yet. Price seems a bit high at $10k.
according to Edmunds the range for a 2003 is $7408.00 - $9862.00

The 2003 came in an EX or a DX
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/element/2003/index.html

P.S. - I love my 2003, have had no major issues, regular maintenance, did have the Tech Bul. on the speedo, dealer replaced no charge @ 118K+ and counting

·
Registered
3 Posts
according to Edmunds the range for a 2003 is $7408.00 - $9862.00

The 2003 came in an EX or a DX
http://www.edmunds.com/honda/element/2003/index.html

P.S. - I love my 2003, have had no major issues, regular maintenance, did have the Tech Bul. on the speedo, dealer replaced no charge @ 118K+ and counting
Thanks for the info. I'm assuming it's an EX, then. I'm going to offer $8,500 and see what they say. I don't know if it has side airbags, either. I'll have to go check it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I have 165,xxx on my 03 element. I have owned car since 88,xxx miles. I had to replace the starter at 155,xxx, the a/c compresser went out at 160,xxx. The seats rock. The back shocks are bad around 130,000. That all. My element was a delivery car before i bought it and i drive the piss out of it everyday. O yay my tranny mount broke at 163,xxx. Great car. Will always keep the element. Probably do a motor/tranny swap at 200,000

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.