Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wanna know what type of gas are you guys pumping 87-89-91-92-93?im pumping plus makes my element runs better than regular gas with regular I feel like I lose power and torque what about you guys fellow element family

·
Registered
745 Posts
87 from Costco. I wait in line. Yeah, $4.19 last time I filled up.

Reactions: Mike1953

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,814 Posts
I never even tried anything other than 87 octane in my '03 EX.

But, the 2.4 VTEC engine with a 9.7 to 1 compression ratio (still kind of high in it's day), it seems possible that some benefit might be achieved.

I just filled mine up with 87 octane at $3.019. By comparison, 89 octane was $3.319. (93 was too high to even remember!)

I'm guessing a noticeable increase in power is possible. But I doubt one would save money. With 89 costing just a bit under 10% more, there's no way one would get 10% better or more MPG by switching from 87 to 89.

Has anyone here done a long term test with accurate records trying to find any difference?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
93 oct. It's a VVT engine so like having two engines in one. When using lower grade fuel, the DME will retard timing so as to reduce possibility of engine knock in commensurate producing lack luster performance and reduced mpg. I too once used 87 oct, but for last 5 yrs or so only 93 or better. Engine much more responsive, a tad better overall mpg.

Reactions: Pangs element

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I used to have (2) Lincoln Mark VIII's. The '94 stated on the gas gauge "Premium Fuel Required"; while the '97 stated "Premium Fuel Recommended". (Those DOHC V-8's had near 10 to 1 compression ratio too.)

Back when the price of gasoline here in FL (maybe 10 years ago) got to around $4.50 per gallon for 87 octane (92 & 93 were much higher then), I tried using 87 octane in the '97. Power of course was down noticeably, but the MPG remained pretty much the same. So at least I ended up saving some $. (Never tried it with the '94.)

Anyone here have similar data for an Element?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Have been doing premium due to supercharger. My opinion is that without a tune, anything above regular is a waste of money. Plus fuel probably doesn't hurt anything... I don't go to cheap gas stations either.

·
Registered
2009 SC MRP
297 Posts
We only have 95, 98, 100-102 octane gasoline here, that's why I fill up with 95.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We only have 95, 98, 100-102 octane gasoline here, that's why I fill up with 95.
That's interesting.

Is your gasoline rated the same way as ours? Our pump numbers are calculated by: Research Octane + Motor Octane, divided by 2.

Or maybe you just don't have the Ethanol (10%) watering down like we have! That Corn lobby from the Midwest has a lot of clout in DC!

·
Registered
46 Posts
93 oct. It's a VVT engine so like having two engines in one. When using lower grade fuel, the DME will retard timing so as to reduce possibility of engine knock in commensurate producing lack luster performance and reduced mpg. I too once used 87 oct, but for last 5 yrs or so only 93 or better. Engine much more responsive, a tad better overall mpg.
If you're paying more per gallon and getting slightly better MPG, it's a wash at best cost wise. Factory owner's manual says 86 or higher, and recommend gasoline with detergent additives, which are most these days. 87 is fine.

Font Document Publication

·
Registered
2010 EX AWD Omni Blue
334 Posts
I have been running no ethanol 87 for a couple years now. They claim it will improve gas mileage by 3% and has a shelf life twice that of ethanol blends. It costs around 25 cents more a gallon and claim it is better for your engine. Plenty of information on no ethanol gas with a Google search.

·
Registered
2009 SC MRP
297 Posts
That's interesting.

Is your gasoline rated the same way as ours? Our pump numbers are calculated by: Research Octane + Motor Octane, divided by 2.

Or maybe you just don't have the Ethanol (10%) watering down like we have! That Corn lobby from the Midwest has a lot of clout in DC!
I think the gasoline are rated at the same way.
We have here 95Octane with 5%Ethanol and 95Octane with 10%Ethanol (little bit cheaper than the 5% Version).
I don´t use the 10% Version. It´s more aggressive against seals and plastics (tubes ect.).

·
Registered
08 Rootbeer Metallic SC
106 Posts
I've been filling up with 93 since I owned the car out of habit. I have an SI Civic (tuned) that needs it so I just always fill up witht the same regardless. Never an issue. Averaging about 23 mpg
Product Azure Font Material property Circle

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element AWD EX 4AT "Galapagos Green Metallic"
306 Posts
I've been filling up with 93 since I owned the car out of habit. I have an SI Civic (tuned) that needs it so I just always fill up witht the same regardless. Never an issue. Averaging about 23 mpg
View attachment 213343
You're averaging 23.5 MPG from your E? :rolleyes:

Ahh, you've got an 08. More gears in your transmission I believe. I average about 17 MPG (~225 miles/tank) but recently managed 22-23 (~300 miles/tank) when I drove to New Orleans a couple weeks ago. I use Shell and Shell only. 87 octane, however I did try 93 octane and did get a couple extra MPG. Obviously the added fuel cost negated the better mileage.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I pump plus or supreme in mines with 87 I don’t get that much power or torque I would always have to downshift till I pump better gas now she’s running much better my E does carry a lot of weight big tires sleeping platform etc

·
Registered
2003, 2wd
61 Posts
Hey guys just wanna know what type of gas are you guys pumping 87-89-91-92-93?im pumping plus makes my element runs better than regular gas with regular I feel like I lose power and torque what about you guys fellow element family
Google what octane means. You aren't helping your stock factory tuned element at all. That's a placebo wasting your money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You are experiencing a placebo effect with higher octane fuel. But, you may also be getting really bad low grade gasoline that has contaminants like diesel fuel, etc.
Octane is anti-knock resistance but no more power. A double-blind trial with clean gasoline should convince you but that isn't always easy to pull off.
With modern engine control systems most performance cars could run on 87 pump but their higher compression-ratios can take advantage of the higher octane and advance the spark, etc. The lowly E can't do that so use 87 pump.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts