Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When installing accessories yourself, keep in mind that any electrical or body modification to the vehicle unless installed by a certified Honda dealer may void your warranty. If you put roof racks on yourself and they fly off, it's your fault. If Honda does it, they're responsible. Have fun but be safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi everybody!

I am wanting to get the keyless remote and installation looks fairly straight forward, but I am wondering if I install it myself would I have to worry about my warranty being voided. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
9 Posts
bigmobrown--

Hi, installing it yourself will not void the warranty. Just follow the instructions, don't shortcut or modify anything, and keep your receipt/invoice! Keep in mind that if something does go haywire (rare) Honda will warranty the part but not the labor if they did not install it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am not an expert or a dealer but I believe that any part you install yourself would not be covered by your warranty. The part itself would be covered against manufacturing defects if it is a Honda part. Hope that helps! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks. I asked at the dealer yeaterday "Colonial Honda in Perryville, MD." if it would affect my warranty. I was told that as long as I did not do any modifications to the engine or drive train all would remain under warranty. I mention "Colonial Honda" because they have treated us so well so far. I might as well put a plug in for our wonderful sales person "Richard Watters" and for "Jim" in finance. Together they are the "Dynamic Duo". - Love out element!

·
Registered
195 Posts
My dealer said that I'd be warranted, but that if I accidentally screwed something up (i.e. frying electric systems while installing keyless, etc) then I'd be uncovered.

Drew

·
Registered
222 Posts
It will void the warranty on anything you replace. Legally, they have to prove any work you did voided the warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased an Element, but the dealer told me two things that concerned me. One, he said that the 7 year powertrain warranty is only valid if I get all oil changes and regular maintenance done at the dealership. Is this true, or do I simply need to document that I got it done somewhere?

Also, he said that if I got an aftermarket roof rack somewhere other than the dealership, it would void my warranty. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
461 Posts
If it's like my 100K warranty, it's a dealer warranty, not a Honda warranty. They offer it free of charge to get you to do the service at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
Both statements are lies. Honda does not (and cannot) require that all service be performed at a dealer. it is a good idea to keep your service records to have eveidence that regular maintenance has been performed (you can also log them on the OwnerLink site).

Adding a non-Honda roof rack will not void your warranty. Your dealer sounds like scum.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
What you're being told is called "tying", and is illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Warranties cannot be "tied" to past or future purchase of products or services from the warranty provider. Again, it's not only a lie, it is illegal.

Anyway, it is a good idea to keep evidence of your service history. While technically it is up to the warranty provider to prove that you did not meet the terms of the warranty, the reality is the other way around, with them requiring proof that you did. You're welcome to hold your ground, but it usually takes lawyers to sort it out, and that usually costs more than the servicing being disputed. Never forget we have the best justice system money can buy.

:roll:

·
Registered
21 Posts
if u read the owner manual it states that u dont have to get any maintenence done at the dealer ship to keep your warenty valid, just keep the servise record, sounds like he is trying to blow smoke rings up your a**

1 - 20 of 198 Posts