Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 EX Automatic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 165k on our 2010 E that we bought used with 79K on it 5 years ago. After 3 alignments over the the last 85k miles (after new tires, new struts, etc.), the car has always required slightly more effort to turn right than left. It will likewise drift slightly left on an even road. We've ask the shops what could be causing this and get blank looks and mumbles. Any ideas?

·
Registered
107 Posts
comparative diagnostics questions
Does it pull harder to either side on acceleration or deceleration (coasting)? And which side?
Does it pull harder to one side under braking?
What color is the power steering fluid? Is it cloudy? Or dark? Amber colored?
What color is the brake fluid? Is it cloudy?
Do you hear rubbing or scraping on either side?
With all 4 wheels off the ground (out of gear), do the wheels spin with very little effort? Check all 4 wheels.

·
Premium Member
2005 EX Automatic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks srteach. This is a well-maintained car with fluid flushes at appropriates times with no change in behavior. It doesn't seem affected by accel or decel or braking. Might try the wheel spin idea. Also, I'll look at the power steering fluid again. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
My father was a career frame man so the first thing that bounced off my skull when I saw your post was "That sounds like a bad repair job." Is there any chance you bought the vehicle used from someone else who'd been in an accident and the repairs weren't done very well?

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 EX Automatic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Atom. Good link too. So what I'm understanding is that a difference with engine off equals a mechanical problem, difference with engine on is a power steering/rack problem. Sound correct?

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,986 Posts
You can do this test while driving. Pop it into neutral and turn the key off, if the pull goes away it could be related to p/s. If the pull is still there or worse, its a chassis problem

Do you have any print outs of the actual alignment measurements?

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,986 Posts
Those specs look good. Some machines will measure SAI steering axis inclintation, and included angle. These are important because they can show if somthing is bent. If somthing was bent and it wacked the caster or camber out, and someone adjusted those back to spec, the sai and included angles would be out.
So next alignment ask for those specs. Hopefully the alignment dude has a clue about what those measurments mean.

Try driveing with the engine off, and let us know the results.

I

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks Atom. Good link too. So what I'm understanding is that a difference with engine off equals a mechanical problem, difference with engine on is a power steering/rack problem. Sound correct?
Yes. But wheels must be off the ground or on something really slippery. If you put the tire jack under the front cross member and lift it up a bit, with the tires on two pieces (double stacked) cardboard, that might make it light enough to try and see.

·
Premium Member
2005 EX Automatic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I did the turn-off-key-while-coasting-in-neutral test this evening. Definitely still more effort required when steering right. What is my next assignment?

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,986 Posts
This eliminates the p/s, have the tires been swapped side to side? If so and still the same, try turning the steering wheel with the weight of the car off the tires. Place a jackstand under each of the lower control arms. You should feel the same effort to turn both ways. If you feel binding remove a tie rod end from the strut and re-evaluate.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,986 Posts
If the above test prove there is no binding, my suggestion is to find a real alignment shop. Have them check the sai and included angles. If you get the deer in the headlights look, find another shop. I've had vehicles that pull to one side and everything checks out good. We would get them going straight by fudging the caster. The side with higher(more posative) caster will make it pull to the opposite side.

·
Premium Member
2005 EX Automatic
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, tires have been swapped (and they're nice condition Michelin LTXs). I'll do the lift test next. Coincidently, I did notice what seemed to be some resistance coming from the inside right tie rod end when I replaced the struts recently. I'm sorta new at front end work so I didn't know what was normal. But I'll do the lift test and go from there. If the resistance is still there, start with the right tie rod end?

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,986 Posts
Either side, just eliminating things one at a time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have 165k on our 2010 E that we bought used with 79K on it 5 years ago. After 3 alignments over the the last 85k miles (after new tires, new struts, etc.), the car has always required slightly more effort to turn right than left. It will likewise drift slightly left on an even road. We've ask the shops what could be causing this and get blank looks and mumbles. Any ideas?
I’ve had my 04 EX since new and have ‘never’ been satisfied with the alignments. Never had an accident, tires are well maintained, and alignments from indies and multiple dealers. It is frustrating as heck and I get the same blank looks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I’ve had my 04 EX since new and have ‘never’ been satisfied with the alignments. Never had an accident, tires are well maintained, and alignments from indies and multiple dealers. It is frustrating as heck and I get the same blank looks.
What was wrong with the alignment?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts