Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Father's Day my dad and I went to the local Honda dealership. The dealer was closed, but I still thought he could look in the windows of the new Elements to get an understanding of what it's all about. To our surprise the silver EX parked near the building was unlocked! We climbed right in and I showed him how the seats fold into a bed, the MP3 jack, and the rubber floor. I Had him take a look at the engine too. We even poked around thinking there might be a key hidden above a sunvisor, but no luck.

Remember, the dealer was closed that day. Do you think leaving it unlocked was at all intentional, or did somebody forget to lock it? Would anybody consider swapping out some accesories for their own E? :twisted: Or call and let management know that you got in it?

Well, we didn't even leave a note on the dashboard. We just drove away to buy some steaks and to refill the propane tank for a Father's Day barbeque. But, man... I still can't stop thinking about almost driving one around for the day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its called grand theft auto, a felony, the fun part is that when the cops find you they pull you out at gun point (I was a cop - it was the best part of the job).

·
Registered
273 Posts
>>>>>Its called grand theft auto, a felony, the fun part is that when the cops find you they pull you out at gun point .<<<<<

its also a video game, the fun part is, i can commit felonies without worry that some over zealous cop mite blow me away... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
123 Posts
It was most likely left unlocked unintentially. I've seen it happen many times on dealer lots (1 time even found the key!). If so, I make sure I lock the vehicle (after I look the vehicle over - being respectful that it's someone else's property) so someone can't take improper advantage of the vehicle. The 1 time I found the key I locked the vehicle & put the key through the drop slot at the dealership & called to let them know that I'd found the key in the vehicle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
it's their fault for leaving the car opened. u should have camped out in it that night just to get the feel of it.

car lots know people love to walk their lots at night and in the evenings to look at their cars. who hasn't gone when there were no dealers around, to actually look at the car w/out being nagged???

as long as you don't cause damage, what's the matter w/looking around inside the car?

·
Registered
957 Posts
The dealer(s) leaving cars unlocked in the lot is absolutely a mistake. While many well meaning individuals out there will leave well enough alone, there are scumbags out there that will steal various parts from inside the vehicle, jam gum in the seatbelt buckles, rip and poke at the interior, walk away with floor mats or knobs or the radio. Airbag theft is a HUGE problem and a costly one too.

You reduce the exposure to these issues by about 95% by simply locking the vehicles. Besides, dealers don't want customers checking out the vehicles too well while they're not around. They usually don't mind people on the lot after hours because it lets them see the stickers and get over the shock - but make no mistake, they want a salesman around if you want to see the inside of the vehicle.

No, IMHO that unlocked E was a mistake.

·
Registered
540 Posts
For some odd reason this reminds me of listening to "This American Life" the other night.

The guest was the editor of "FOUND" magazine - a magazine consisting entirely of reader's submissions of found pieces of paper that are personal notes of some sort. (A found junk mail flyer would not qualify).

The editor said his brother found this one: "Please lock the laundry room after you are done using it. This will prevent unauthorized people from coming in and defecating in the washing machines."

The moral of the story is: if you're not prepared to have someone poop in it, lock your car. House. Laundry room. Everything.

:shock: :!: :shock: :!: :shock: :!:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Excellent advice. :lol:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i too would have notified the dealer.. i just would not been able to live with myself knowning i knew it was left out there unlocked. Plus realize most dealers have lot cameras, they know and see what happens after hours.. you certainly would not want to be held liable for something happening if the camera caught you in the car.. and perhaps someone did something to it, but the camera had cycled away at that point. Cover your hind end!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I myself wouldn't open the car door. I would just check out the E and kick the tires. I wouldn't want to be caught inside of a car with a cop gun pointed to my head. Also maybe get booked on tresspassing charges :shock:

·
Registered
4 Posts
we went to check some out on Sunday...they were closed and almost all of the E's that they had on the lot were unlocked except for 2 of them that were brand spankin' new with the plastic and everything still on them everywhere...and there were people everywhere opening them up and checkin' them out too...there were also some Civics unlocked.

it's just hard for me to believe that someone accidentally left THAT many doors unlocked...i'm sure the lot was under some sort of survailence, but i think they left them unlocked like that on purpose

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hummmm....my opinion is that it was a big mistake by the dealer. On several trips to the dealer (we shopped for a new car for 3 months!) we never found doors unlocked after hours, and as a matter of fact none were unlocked during business hours, except for the ones on the showroom floor and the demo E for test drives. And at the dealer we bought from the Es were all lined up aout 4 rows back.....past the Civics, Accords, CRVs, Pilots, Odys, and S2000s.....in other words....way the hect in the back! And every time we wanted to check another color out our salesman would have to run back and get another key! He kept on telling us that we were making sure he got his workout for the day!

We were on the lot after hours plenty of times.....but if I had found a door unlocked I would have freaked out....probably locked the door, gone back to our car, grabbed my cell phone and called the dealer and left a message....but hey that is just me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i forgot to mention...we also noticed one of the lockboxes that the keys are in that hang on the window laying in the parking lot beside one of the cars...now surely that was an accident...maybe the new guy did the lot check the day before :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should have your pair of underwear in around the shifter.... with a note

"That was quite an E xperience... I think I broke her in."

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm lucky to find a car unlocked DURING business hours around here...
They definately want a salesperson looking over your shoulder at all times.
:roll:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dood, you looked at the truck, didn't cause damage and left it as it was found. I say, move on. I see nothing wrong with what you did. If you wanna call the dealer and let them know so you can sleep at night, cool but I would stress it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
[quote:4f5992d8ce="3N00B"]"That was quite an E xperience... I think I broke her in."[/quote:4f5992d8ce]

LOL :lol: Sure you might have caught some grief if caught, but big deal. Good luck on locking the car without the key. The driver's door simply won't lock. As for driving it around, sure it's tempting, but without so much as a dealer's tag - your asking to be pulled over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[quote:9cc43b6c3b="psm0110"] Good luck on locking the car without the key. The driver's door simply won't lock. As for driving it around, sure it's tempting, but without so much as a dealer's tag - your asking to be pulled over.[/quote:9cc43b6c3b]

i've noticed that on a lot of Honda's, if you pull the door handle on the inside and keep it pulled...and then lock the door, it'll lock...that is, unless the new new models dont work like that

give it a try

1 - 18 of 18 Posts