Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting an Element since they came out...and I'm finally in a position after my divorce to afford a different vehicle. Thus, I've been looking at Elements, of course.

I'm in North Dakota so the pickings are slim. The local dealer offered me a '08 brand new, 0 miles black 4WD EX for $21,500 (it's listed at 23,500...he wants it off the lot before the '10s come in)...but I can't afford the payment on that without the cash for clunkers money added to that. Unfortunately, my current van won't have been owned by me for a year until Sept 22, and I'm just not sure that both the '08 AND the clunkers money will still be there by then.

Sooo...in searching around the only other Element in a 200 mile radius is a '07, grey SC, 2WD with 14,000 miles on it for $16,500. One owner - he decided he couldn't live without a pickup box and traded it in.

Sooo...what would you do? Wait and hope the '08 AND the CARS money is still there in two months, or jump on the '07 deal? I think the miles on that one is really great for an '07 myself...everything else I found online for an '07 had at least twice the amount of miles.

Just need some feedback here, thanks in advance!

Oh I should mention I'm in North Dakota...so I'm a bit worried about purchasing the SC as it is front wheel drive....how is front wheel drive in the snow?

Seri

·
Registered
873 Posts
the black sounds good,do some more dealing with the dealer.they should come around. talk to them if they want your money they will work wityh you.you may want to discus a down payment till the 22nd rolls around.thats if they will get you into it right. that o7 should be about 15000. but remember it's only a 2wd. where your at a 4wd is what you need.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input marksbug...I think the dealer has gone as low as he can, that's already $1200 under their cost I think and they are not exactly desperate to sell vehicles right now what with the CARS program....stuff is flying off the lot. I WOULD put a down payment on it and ask that they hold it and I know they would, thing is, I can't afford the payment without the CARS incentive so if that runs out, I'm screwed.

Decisions, decisions...so stressful!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
The Black 08 AWD EX.
AWD EX will handle N. Dakota weather way better than the SC.
I think - that unless you're moving further south in the near future an AWD EX is the way to go.

If the CARS Program is over by the 22nd forget the new 08 and go used.

My 2 cents worth :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I know what you mean about the stress.+ I was stupid and traded in may & screwed my self out of the $4500. there will always be a deal around the corner,there always is,you just need to be smart & dont get in a hurry like I did.+ the gov just put more $ into the program. we might want to buy some stock in green ink!!! good luck,& think about waiting for the real deal,I wish I had.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was dealing on a new 08 SC 0 miles brand new and had the dealer down to $19,000 even. That SC has an almost identical msrp sticker and dealer cost of the 08 AWD EX you are looking at. So he can go that low. The dealer told me there was cash (2500 I think) back applied to all 08's from Honda at the first of the year that is paid to the dealer and it stays with the car. So no that is not below his cost. $22,500 is invoice less hold backs is about $22,000 true dealer cost less the $2500 comes to 20k so if he wants to sell it that is where he need to start. I just paid $22,447 for a new 09 AWD EX Auto, so for him to only be $1000 off of a 09 he is nuts! Offer him $19,500. also if they get the extra 2 billion for the cash for clunkers I'm sure it will slow down after this first rush and think it would be close to still being there.?

Anyway that's to high for a 08 in my way of thinking. And if he is "asking" $16,500 for the used SC I'd offer $15,00 and work from there. Front wheel drive is better than rear wheel drive in snow but AWD is better than FWD so I'd look for a awd in your part of the country.

Good luck.:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've decided to wait it out and hope the '08 and the clunkers money is still there Sept 22. In the meantime I will continue to look for used E's to fall back on if plan A doesn't work out. I've come to the conclusion that I really need the 4WD or at the very least, all wheel drive. I did find another '07 that shows promise and to be honest...I really want the sunroof, which this '07 doesn't have.

I hate that the '09s don't have sunroofs!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Seri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts