Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states....What's the air volume of the OEM subwoofer box?
I have a Kicker 6.5" sub that is going into the stock location and was wondering if I should leave the enclosure ported as it is or seal up the port and run it that way.

Here's the sub I have
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11395_Kicker+CompVT+08CVT652.html

According to Kicker I need .2 cubic feet as a bare minimum. Looking at the enclosure that shouldn't be a problem. Just curious I guess.
http://kicker.com/sites/default/files/2008CompVT6.5.pdf

·
Registered
877 Posts
Someones measured this at one point. You might be able to find out by searching for it. Either way you should seal up the seam between the two halves. Its pretty leaky. I feel like it performed better when i sealed up the port too (with an eD eu-700/7kv.2/e3.6).

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're running a completely sealed setup? Is the bass nice and "punchy"?
I'm not going for that low droning bass. I want mine to sound tight.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Found the thread. I ditched that setup a LONG time ago for something a bit bigger. From what I remember It was a bit less peaky and a little flatter and punchier, and dug a little lower. If i remember correctly, the box is tuned pretty high. I'm almost thinking mid 40's.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that.
I kind of already planned on sealing the box up air tight. Cut all the baffling stuff out of the inside and fabbed up a port plug out of that extra material. Going to epoxy the hell out of that port plug, the wire hole and the seam as well. This thing is going to be as air tight as it gets.

I was also playing with the idea of lining the inside with some dynamat. Heard good things about people doing that.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If i remember correctly, the box is tuned pretty high. I'm almost thinking mid 40's.

actually 87.5 with that sub in that size enclosure in a sealed box and 63hz in it if it were ported. the rolloff on the sealed box is ok but the one for the ported box is pretty steep and has a very high ripple which is translated into very little control over the driver. sealed with that sub in that volume enclosure is a better choice, but it will be a better midbass driver than a sub.

·
Registered
877 Posts
actually 87.5 with that sub in that size enclosure in a sealed box and 63hz in it if it were ported. the rolloff on the sealed box is ok but the one for the ported box is pretty steep and has a very high ripple which is translated into very little control over the driver. sealed with that sub in that volume enclosure is a better choice, but it will be a better midbass driver than a sub.
87.5 what? Maybe I've missed something along the line, but how is a sealed box tuned :confused:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
87.5 what? Maybe I've missed something along the line, but how is a sealed box tuned :confused:
87.5hz. a sealed enclosure is tuned just like a vented enclosure, by the box volume, just with out the additional tuning provided by the port. in a sealed enclosure it is totally controlled by volume where in a vented box if you make the enclosure smaller you can keep the tuning the same by increasing the port length, but if you kept the port length the same the tuning frequency would increase. etc etc etc

·
Registered
877 Posts
I understand the ported tuning, I've just never once in my life heard of sealed tuning. Do you know of anywhere I can read some more about this?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I understand the ported tuning, I've just never once in my life heard of sealed tuning. Do you know of anywhere I can read some more about this?
MECP advanced installation technician study guide. pages 200-203 i recommend all three of the guide that they sell, and while the current basic guide is a good reference for any shop to have, the updated one that will be out sometime at the begining of next year is gonna be killer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts