Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all... I just registered today but have been lurking around this forum for the last couple of months on a daily basis, not only educating & entertaining myself but also adding to my (almost sick) obssession for buying an Element! My profile shows I'm an owner but in truth I'm just a wannabe :)

anyhoo... just a little info here... I do alot of craft shows and haul around a 10 x 10 ft tent and crates full of "stuff" and my current car just doesnt cut it for my needs. I have a 2003 bmw 325xi (with 71K mi) I need to sell before I can buy my element and I'm looking to buy a used element for close to the same amt of $$ as what my bmw brings. I know I would like an EX and AWD (since my bmw is awd- living in Md its nice to have- especially after last winter). I'm not really too picky about color but I cant seem to decide on what year to buy. I found 2 locally and wondered if I could get some opinions.... both have approx same mileage .. is it smarter to buy the newer car with slightly more miles or save the $$ and go with the 03? I realize going with the 06 I would need to add some cash as I know I wont get as much for my car but I think I might be able to get the 06 down a little as I know the dealer has had it on their lot for a while.

1) 2003 EX - 52,591 miles $12,483

2) 2006 EX-P 58,363 miles $16,904

btw... do y'all think these are priced a bit high?

any input is greatly appreciated!

Robin

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Pricing looks a bit steep bit then again they are at a dealer. The '06 will have a few more standard safety features than the '03 I believe. I am not sure if the '03 had the xm radio in the EX model but my '05 does. I would assume you could get a pretty even trade on the BMW for '06. I now the list value of the BMW is not as high as the asking price on the E but a BMW on a dealership lot looks a lot better then a Honda.;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, thanks for the quick reply :)

I was actually shocked when I started this whole obsession with selling my car... I've had quotes for a trade-in running from 7K to 10K. My car looks and runs great... never in an accident and I've always been really picky when parking it in lots to try and avoid everyone else. It does have a couple small dings, but overall its really clean inside & out. I paid over 30K .. am the original owner and had thought it might have held its value a little better than I'm now finding out. IMO putting your $$ into a Honda is a much wiser choice, not only for resale but anytime anything went wrong on the beemer it cost a boatload of cash!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My wife and I used to have a Saab and loved it but repairs got expensive and the value of the car tanked. I just can't believe that the BMWs would drop that hard in value. I have always known that luxury brands don't really hold value for long but boy, when they begin to lose value it becomes a slippery slope.

You can always see a used car value drop as soon as the new model arrives on the lots. Luckily for the E there really hasn't been a "new" model, yet.

You will probably miss the BMW when you get the E but the E will definitely win you heart in no time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, the bmw is awesome to drive .... but I have to say that when I drove the element I was smiling the whole time :) I'm ready for a change!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I sold my 2000 bmw 328Iwith 74 K milkes for 8.3K cash then turned around and bought an 04 E with 72K miles under 9K cash out the door. I did buy an LX that was upgraded, only thing it didn't have a was cruise control which i added on for 400 bucks at a local shop.

·
Registered
816 Posts
those prices are crazy...after you sell your bmw..look at private parties,,,i did...last year i bought my 2004 ex,awd,,with 67k miles for $9300...i have the car a year now and its been awsome..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Those price looks fine compared to what I paid for, 18600 for a 07 SC with 56000mile, which is pretty steep, but it is certified and I got it shipped from 1000 miles away, so I guess its alright.

I would look around for a certified used Element since they get the 7 years and 100,000miles warranty. You can check your local honda dealers, used inventory online and get one shipped from one of their sister dealers, possibly one certified.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts