Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between the Y Package and the regular I mean.
From what I can tell, not a whole heck of a lot.
I'm thinking this: Honda's AWD system is a joke (so I've heard at least) and simply not needed. I have no use for a rear sunroof or 200 watt stereo. And if that's pretty much the only things that separate a Y from a regular Element then I'd probably be better off getting the regular, using the steel wheels for snows, and getting some nice aluminum wheels/ tires for summer with the money saved by not getting a Y.
Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is the Y the AWD vs. the 2WD on on the EX
OR is the Y = EX and not DX
If the latter is the case then there are many differences. Some dealers here are taking DX models putting in a Stereo and nice wheel and selling them as EX's. This differences are all sears being waterproof instead of just the front, ABS, Stereo, AC, Arm rest.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I live in calgary and the awd system is a must. Also the system on the element is exellent. Other differences include. 4 wheel disk and abs, stereo, trim level alloy wheels, a/c and color of panels. side by side, the y package is much nicer. I found that the regular is very plane. But to each his own. If you can live with out the things the Y give, then get the regular. But I highly recomend the AWD.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I live a little north of Toronto and we get our fair share of snow. I've never really seen the need for AWD. If anything I think it can lead to a false sense of security in some who then drive over their heads and quickly learn that AWD doesn't mean AWStop. Sure, a part time 4wd might be nice to have once in a while but by no means do I think it's necessary. As far as the Honda AWD system goes I've heard there's a major lag time from when slippage start to occur to when the rears wheel actually start driving. Which begs the question: What good is it?
ABS? I've yet to own a car in my 15 years of driving that's had it and again have never needed it. I do consider it more important than AWD though so I *might* opt for it. My fiancee' will be driving it too after all.
A/C is a must.
Auto is a must (fiancee').
Would like the neoprene seats on all 4 (dog).
I didn't realize DX, EX, etc badging was how it worked. Maybe in Canada it's different. My understanding was that there were the Y Packaged ones and then the non-Y Packaged ones and that's it.
I guess a trip to the dealer to iron this all out is in order.
What's the towing capacity for an Auto by the way?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
quickly learn that AWD doesn't mean AWStop. Sure,
Your right about this. Last night Calgary got hit with a mini ice storm. Every accident that made the new was a 4x4 suv. They had video of a jeep passing people then ending up on the guard rail.

As for honda's AWD, I don't notice any lag time at all. We also have a 99 crv that has the awd on all the time. I find they handle similar on ice. If you don't need the awd, save your money. when I bought, I wanted it to have everything.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Everythig that I've read on the Real Time 4WD system used in the Element has been positive, indicating good traction in poor conditions. I've seen no comments that suggest there's a lag or that the transfer of power to the rear is noticable. Of course it's no substitute for common sense driving, but it's not the car, the design or the 4WD system that's responsible for idiots.

As for ABS - I've never knowingly needed it either, but my daughter was fortunate to pick an ABS equipped car to trip over in front of one cold and slick winter's day. The driver was able to brake and steer around her. I've never thought of it as anything less than an essential safety feature since.

·
Registered
80 Posts
[quote:904aa4d67f="Rockford"]Between the Y Package and the regular I mean.
From what I can tell, not a whole heck of a lot.
Am I missing something here?[/quote:904aa4d67f]

Yes, you are! There are many more differences, and the 4WD option is available on either package. EX gives A/C, ABS, EBD, cruise, alloy wheels, stereo, more. See:

http://www.hondacars.com/models/specifications.asp?ModelName=Element

1 - 9 of 9 Posts