Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May I ask Element owners to state their gas mileage, with some qualifications as to Element model, driving conditions (highway flowing freely or highway stop-and-go, city, driver-only vs. full load etc.)?
I've read anything from 19 to 28, with Consumer Reports coming in at 21 (average).
Thank you all!
MQ

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have been the proud owner of a 4WD EX Auto since March 31st. I drive 100% city, stop and go traffic, highway for about 10mins a day and that is normally stop and go as well. I get about 20mpg on the norm (this is with air on 100% of the time....St. Louis heat ya know!)

On several road trips of highway/open road driving I have gotten 24mpg.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My daily drive consists of almost 100% highway (2 miles from house to I-95, then maybe 2 miles from Highway to parking garage). To work is usually non-stop around 65-75mph average. The ride home can be 50% stop-and-go. A/C rarely used in the morning, always on the return drive home. I just filled up, and got 25MPG from the last tank. The effort before that was 22-23, IIRC. I'm still under 3K miles as well.

Hope that helps you!

-Jim

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think the testers at car and driver are much like me.

I drive like a complete maniac and get about 21 mpg on the average.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
*singing*

I'm a Maniacccccccccccccccccc, Maniacccccccccccccccccccccc and it shows, and I'm dancing like I never danced before!
*crazy dance*

sorry....I couldn't resist!

·
Registered
299 Posts
First tank, 20.5 with a/c on all the time, city/highway, still in breakin, and a manual shifter.

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:542ae5c980="StLouisPenguin"]*singing*

I'm a Maniacccccccccccccccccc, Maniacccccccccccccccccccccc and it shows, and I'm dancing like I never danced before!
*crazy dance*

sorry....I couldn't resist![/quote:542ae5c980]

Hah!

Penguin, if you like that, then check out this sound clip of the late, great, Chris Farley.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
*pout* Link won't work, but that is okay.

I love Chris Farley.......

the bit with David Spade's jean jacket is classic stupid humor!

Just watched Black Sheep and Tommy Boy the other day....they were on cable and since you can't go outside without melting here there was nothing else better to do!

We hit 104 today!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh....gotta love St. Louis...not!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think you'll find tons of post about gas mileage in several categories. I started out getting about 17 mpg driving my 2wd auto in the worst kind of city driving (short distant stop and go with the a/c on). However, as I've past the 3,000 mile mark my mpg has gone up closer to 20 - 21 mpg. Recently I went on a longer trip and got 24 mpg. As a side note when strangers ask me about the car and the mileage they always seem disappointed when I tell them the mpg ratings. I think it is pretty good considering the car is as aerodynamic as a brick. I believe people look at the innovative design and assume some advanced hybrid engine is under the hood.

·
Registered
26 Posts
[quote:5876b0ae2a="StLouisPenguin"]I have been the proud owner of a 4WD EX Auto since March 31st. I drive 100% city, stop and go traffic, highway for about 10mins a day and that is normally stop and go as well. I get about 20mpg on the norm (this is with air on 100% of the time....St. Louis heat ya know!)
[/quote:5876b0ae2a]

So what is a Penguin doing in St Louis - I though they needed to chill

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine is 21.3 after 5,000 mi. I do all the wrong things, commute through the city, take off fast from stop lights, speed, stop fast. That's just the way I drive so I take a hit on mileage :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
1. 2WD - Manual EX
2. A/C on all the time, fan at half speed, not on max but with air source set to recirc
3. Driver only 50% of the time. One passenger 40% of the time rest either with two dogs or another 1-2 passengers
4. Usually no heavy load.
5. Rush hour stop 'n go traffic most of the time. During non rush hour traffic only 7-10 mph over speed limit (thus a max of 80 mph). No peel-out starts. Use cruise control for out of town travel.

Gas mileage:

min = 21.79
max = 26.15
avg = 23.83

Current mileage: 7500

Plus I should note that Houston isn't really a windy place, I would expect to have a different mileage if I still lived in Montana.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
So what is a Penguin doing in St Louis - I though they needed to chill
I am here out of pure devotion to my husband, as soon as his MBA is complete we will more than likely moving to where ever he gets the best job offer.

I am sure as hect not used to this weather....we moved here from Chicago, and while Chicago is hot in the summer we lived about a block off of Lake Michigan and got the nice Lake Effect breeze in the summer.

But certainly neither place is like Seattle or Anchorage, both places I have lived and loved!

·
Registered
26 Posts
[quote:95adf5197e="StLouisPenguin"]But certainly neither place is like Seattle or Anchorage, both places I have lived and loved![/quote:95adf5197e]

Just visited Anchorage back in May - nice place and so beautiful. Could NOT handle the winters though. 8)

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
Hey gang... let's talk gas mileage and take the other stuff to Club X or to PM/Email. Thanks! ;)

Personally, I'm really disappointed the mileage isn't better. Heck, the Nissan Xterra gets the same mileage as a 4-cylinder Honda. Just doesn't seem right, even though the E design is boxy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, gang, you're great, overheated penguins and all. Sorry I got you in hot water with the taskmaster <g>, it's a darn shame that Honda owners have no sense of humor <gg>.
MQ

·
Registered
10 Posts
- I drive around 75 miles a day, no real stop & go here in Colorado Springs (not like the old days in L.A.).
- AWD with a 5-speed.
- AC on occasionally.
- Usually just me in the vehicle.
- 3300 miles on the odometer, so far
- I'm getting 27mpg pretty consistently.

·
Registered
66 Posts
typically get +/- 30mph on the interstates (if the terrain is relatively flat)
will get +/-26 on rather hilly interstates (west virginia, virginia, etc.,)

in town, usually average around 26+.
i own a 2wd ex.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts