Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we were at our favorite ice cream place tonite. It's one of those where you walk up to the windows outside and order. We had our ice cream and were sitting at one of the tables and a group of kids (ages 8-15) had just gotten their order and were walking back to the parking lot. The decided to stop in the lot and talk while their moms were still ordering. The started getting close to my car so I kept an eye on them to make sure they didn't get too close. Sure enough they did. One of the brats, I think the oldest one actually, leaned up against my car. I figured he didn't mean to since it is kind of a natural thing to do when you're talking. So I didn't say anything. Just hit the remote start on my car. Well of course it scared them and they all jumped back. I had a good laugh and shut the car off. A few minutes goes by and I'll be damned that **** went back and leaned on my car again!!!! I was Fuming!!! My wife was trying to calm me down. I tried to explain that it's totally disrespectful to lean on someone car you don't know. So I finally stood up and said Hey Off the Car!!! And the kid was like Huh?? So I repeated myself and then he finally walked away. He didn't do any damage but the thing that pissed me off was that after the car started and beeped at him, he went back an did it again!! And did his mom say anything to him when she saw me yell at him?? Hell no! Totally worthless. And on top of it they had 8 kids in a minivan. 2 of them were riding in the cargo area. Aka the crumple zone. I'm sure they will learn soon enough. I'm still pissed off about the whole thing. I've completely lost faith in humanity.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Naw, wrong approach. Subtle - like starting the engine - don't cut it.

I use the panic button to make 'em think they're dealing with a sensitive car alarm. And to scare the **** out of 'em. Once we were sitting inside a BreadCo, watching a frustrated mom trying to corral a rather hyperkinetic child. Child starts pawing the E, and then grabs the passenger-side mirror about to do chin-ups (or something).

One of the many times I've enjoyed having the air horn mod. :razz:

PS - Ted Drewes, right? Rude crowds in general, and, oddly, it attracts the c0cky kids like you were dealing with. It's never not been that way on the few occasions we've been. Haven't been there in over five years 'cause of it. A gallon cube of ice cream from Schnucks is bunches cheaper, and way less aggravation.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I looked outside my apartment window one day and saw three of the neighborhood kids hanging around the front of my E. Then i saw one of them sweep across the hood like he was playing with a small toy car on it. Oh Hell Naw! They ain't playing with toys on my hood! So I set the alarm off and they ran off, scared S**t-less. LOL! They never went near my E again. Stupid kids never have any supervision. I blame the bad parents.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MikeQBF: it was actually fritz's frozen yogurt in florissant. I need to see if I can connect my trunk release button to my air horn. How does yours work?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I did the air horn also and just hit the panic button and Oh What a time to watch the critters and kids jump. The brat probably just wanted to see the car restart again is why he leaned back on it.:D Shock therapy works real well also. It would be neat to turn the car into a huge Capacitor.:)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I use the panic button to make 'em think they're dealing with a sensitive car alarm. And to scare the **** out of 'em.
One of the many times I've enjoyed having the air horn mod. :razz:
Brilliant. I'll try to remember that. I have double-clicked the door lock from a distance a few times to put someone on notice that the owner was nearby. If they are too close to my car's air horns when I do that then they may well tinkle in their underwear.

Yes, my air horns have paid for themselves many times over. On the Miata before and the Element now. I will never be without one.

People who don't take care of their own stuff (kids riding in the crumple zone?) are unlikely to respect anyone else's. And kids who have not been taught to respect others' property are unlikely to unless the property owners teach them to. So in my book that makes you a good samaritan for trying.

I tend to give more space (in parallel parking, particularly) to obviously beloved vehicles simply out of respect. I admire a well-kept car and those who care enough to take care of them. But I've always loved my cars (starting with 16th birthday present: a 1969 Mustang).

Others see the nicest cars as the most fun ones to vandalize.

It's a miracle to get out of this life without encountering creeps of all ages, on a regular basis. So it is nice to vent once in a while.

:cool:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Brilliant. I'll try to remember that. I have double-clicked the door lock from a distance a few times to put someone on notice that the owner was nearby. If they are too close to my car's air horns when I do that then they may well tinkle in their underwear.

Yes, my air horns have paid for themselves many times over. On the Miata before and the Element now. I will never be without one.

People who don't take care of their own stuff (kids riding in the crumple zone?) are unlikely to respect anyone else's. And kids who have not been taught to respect others' property are unlikely to unless the property owners teach them to. So in my book that makes you a good samaritan for trying.

I tend to give more space (in parallel parking, particularly) to obviously beloved vehicles simply out of respect. I admire a well-kept car and those who care enough to take care of them. But I've always loved my cars (starting with 16th birthday present: a 1969 Mustang).

Others see the nicest cars as the most fun ones to vandalize.

It's a miracle to get out of this life without encountering creeps of all ages, on a regular basis. So it is nice to vent once in a while.

:cool:

I think I like this one,good head on her shoulders. mostly the respect!!! rairly found in our colture these days.kinda like my spellen

·
Registered
541 Posts
to me there isnt any respect anymore.i dont know but i think the parents just dont teach it anymore. i work in a jr high and the kids are horrible.they dont listen and think everyone owes them something.i have a 4 year old boy and my wife and i are on him costantly.thats how i was raise.i want him courteous,and polite and to respect others.hopefully he doesnt get corrupted.

·
Registered
469 Posts
i know its totally illegal but i have a tendency to shoot people like that with spring loaded bb guns.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
I think I like this one,good head on her shoulders. mostly the respect!!! rairly found in our colture these days.kinda like my spellen
Aw, shucks. Thank you, Marksbug.

You spell well enough. ;-)

Boxed up1 -- So much really does come down to simple respect, doesn't it? A civilization can't be civilized without it. Respect for property. Respect for other people's well-being.

Take respect out of the equation in a large population and to avoid anarchy there must be massive law enforcement. But we arguably already have massive law enforcement -- certainly in terms of government budgets -- and even that is insufficient considering the many ways and opportunities to harm other people and their property.

(Anyone left a shopping cart in a parking lot where it could roll into someone's car? Dinged anyone else's car with your car door? Scratched their paint finish with the purse hanging off your shoulder?)

We are all bound to be the victims occasionally of mistakes, miscreants and criminals. At those times I've gotten so angry I just feel like retreating to the middle of nowhere and no one. (hmmm.... sounds like camping). Long ago lost count of how many convertible tops I replaced on my Miatas.

But then I have to remind myself that most people -- the vast super-majority -- feel as we do about this epidemic of disrespect. Even as we contribute to it.

And I have to admit I transgress. Not to the point of harming people or property (I return shopping carts to the appropriate storage place). But late the other night a neighbor and I were out walking our pups and we were probably talking too loudly in front of other peoples' homes. I did eventually become conscious of that because I get so irritated when I'm trying to sleep and others are outside yelling or talking loudly.

I think driving while impaired by drinking, texting or talking on a cell phone is disrespectful of others for the danger it presents to them. Not to mention those drivers tend to impede traffic.

The 1970s was often derided as the "Me" Decade, a slur on the post-World War II Baby Boom generation. But I think the self-centered bent of the 1970s pales compared to what's going on these days. We're all in such a hurry, multi-tasking, under pressure and pressed for time. The basics can easily get lost in the shuffle.

Make sure the kids score high enough on the SAT to get into a good college but -- whoops -- forgot to raise them not to be a jerk.

Remember when elders -- however elder -- were "Mr." "Mrs." "Sir" or "Ma'am" until they granted permission to be addressed less formally?

How common is that courtesy these days?

Not to say the good 'ol days were always glorious. I know many wonderful young people around here -- as courteous and upright as Richie Cunningham ever was on "Happy Days." That's not a fluke, their parents work hard at parenting.

Cars have been getting keyed and leaned on for a long time, probably since Henry Ford invented the assembly line. It just seems more pervasive now.

To make a short story, long.

:)

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
So much really does come down to simple respect, doesn't it? A civilization can't be civilized without it. Respect for property. Respect for other people's well-being.

I think driving while impaired by drinking, texting or talking on a cell phone is disrespectful of the harm that behavior presents to others. Not to mention those drivers tend to impede traffic.

When my kiddo's were young I knew that how much you think your kids don't watch you, they do. I made it a point to set an example of myself, so they could follow. No drinking, no smoking, no swearing, kind and respectful to others, whenever they are around. Parents can smoke all day long and tell their kids not to, my sister smoked and always said her kids never would because they hated that she did. All 3 are grown now and all 3 are smokers, with one at 28 trying to quit. Your just increaseing the odds of your kids repeating your behaviour.

When driving with the kiddo's, I never sped, never cursed at other drivers, always let people cut in. Your kids are going to drive the way they experience others drive with them in the car. Of course as they learn to drive themselves they will do what they want, but it helps them to have at least seen lawful courteous driving at some point.
I cannot count the times I seen people speed, text/multi-task in a car while their kids are present....if a kid see's this, he/she thinks it's normal behaviour.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
When my kiddo's were young I knew that how much you think your kids don't watch you, they do. I made it a point to set an example of myself, so they could follow. No drinking, no smoking, no swearing, kind and respectful to others, whenever they are around. Parents can smoke all day long and tell their kids not to, my sister smoked and always said her kids never would because they hated that she did. All 3 are grown now and all 3 are smokers, with one at 28 trying to quit. Your just increaseing the odds of your kids repeating your behaviour.

When driving with the kiddo's, I never sped, never cursed at other drivers, always let people cut in. Your kids are going to drive the way they experience others drive with them in the car. Of course as they learn to drive themselves they will do what they want, but it helps them to have at least seen lawful courteous driving at some point.
I cannot count the times I seen people speed, text/multi-task in a car while their kids are present....if a kid see's this, he/she thinks it's normal behaviour.

Excellent observations. I'd have a tough time reforming enough now to meet the standard you set for your kids.

At age 6, I hurled the F-bomb at my big brother after he threw a pillow at me.

I always assumed I'd picked up that word from him. Now I wonder.... (though I've never heard any elder relative, let alone my parents, cuss worse than G.D.)

In any event, within thirty seconds my mother put a bar of Ivory soap in my mouth. I literally did not curse for the next decade. Even "dangit" was verbotten in our household.

I'd have to suck on a bar of soap for the rest of this weekend to atone for my vocabulary since then.

And my mother was a speeder. Oh my yes, impatient in the fast lane.

Apples rarely fall far from the tree....

:)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Can we also make it so that if another car door touches ours the electricity travels through to the other car and disables it so you know exactly who dinged your car :rolleyes::cool:
That would be awsome!!:evil: And they would have to do some electronic replacements also.... I have some 1000 MFD Caps here at work and if you charge them up with a megger boy do they put out a CRACK!!!
This is close to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA25ghMAyak

·
Registered
748 Posts
JoJo could have the zombies eat them (do they?) she got pull...

I did the panic button every time they got close once ..pretty funny.
I try to tell them how they'll feel when they get their first ride but I'm no longer cool so they really don't listen.

Shotguns work but watch the paint job ......

·
Registered
393 Posts
Darn punk kids. At least they're easy to spot...

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
My Irish Granmother (God rest her soul) was on me like white on rice. Between her and my mother I didn't get away with anything. She would have subtle ways to make me um... "comply". I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I had the little hairs on the back of my neck pulled, or my earlobe twisted just enought for me to get the picture. She was old school and completely unapolagetic about it.

Eventually all they had to do with me was to place a hand on my shoulder or back of my neck and I would become an angel instantly.

It worked. My Wife says one of the things that got her was the fact that I always try to be a gentleman. Now we're doing the same with out son. Hopefully he'll be less wild than I was :rolleyes: so I wont have to pull his little hairs....
;-)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts