Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 E EX AWD Automatic has about 166K on the clock. For mostly very local short drives I'm getting about 17.7 mpg. Just curious about what others are experiencing in the real world and whether mine is typical.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an '03 EX AWD with ~210,000 miles. On a bad day I get about 19 MPG(winter, lots of idling, etc). My normal average is between 21 and 23 MPG - or about 280 to 300 miles per tank. On a road trip while taking it easy, about 26 MPG(~330/tank). I use the trip meter to track my miles per tank, and then divide that by the gallons it takes to fill the tank. If you're using an OBD tool to track fuel economy, you might get different numbers depending on the device/app configuration.

If you're only getting 230 miles per fill up, you might have an issue. Sticking brakes is a common problem for the rear brakes if they're not serviced frequently. Especially in areas that salt their roads. I'd check those first before looking at the engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got mine just over a year ago, and the majority of my use has been for my extremely short (3 miles) commute to work, with occasional longer jaunts for errands & recreation. Given that, I'm fully expecting my mileage to be on the lower end of the scale. I just started checking mileage (trip odo divided by gallons at the pump) so I don't have a long term average yet.

It runs & drives well enough, but that doesn't mean something doesn't need attention. I did replace all brakes (hoses, rotors, calipers, pads) last year, so I'm pretty sure that's not part of the equation on mine. It did have a bit of transmission slippage when I first got it, but a 3x fluid change + replacing the filter seemed to completely cure that. I also did a valve adjustment at that time (myself, so there's always the possibility of amateur errors).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not sure, but if your 3 mile commute isn't at highway speeds, that could be a good reason for low MPG. I'm thinking if the torque convertor doesn't lock up, your MPG won't be as good as it could be. My Element has a manual transmission, and most of my driving is on a highway. I probably spend most of my trips doing ~60-65MPH. I notice my fuel economy drops a lot if I go any faster than that. Like, Fuel economy drops by maybe 3MPG just going from 65MPH to 70. Elements have the aerodynamics of a brick.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,814 Posts
My usual driving style here in FL is about 1/3 city type stop and go driving, and the other 2/3 what I'll call country driving where the speed limit is 45 - 55 MPH and I go about 4 - 5 miles between stops. For that type driving, I will get 22 - 23 MPG.

Turning on the A/C (which is most of the time here) will cost about 1 MPG. Also, the faster I go in Interstate Highway driving, the worse the gas mileage gets. If I cruise at 80 - 85 MPH with the A/C on I will get about 21 MPG. Slowing down to 70 - 75 MPH will improve to about 23 - 24 MPG.

So yes, Alloysnake is correct. Elements are anything but aerodynamic! :)

The best MPG I ever got was just over 26 MPG. That was cruising at 60 MPH in the country and going maybe 10 miles between stops.

The worst MPG I ever got was about 18 MPG with only short trips and stop & go driving (this was right after the initial Covid outbreak).

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2009 EX AT AWD gets 9 to 10 litres per hundred kms on the highway ( 28 to 31 mpg imp ) doing speed limit of 80 to 90 kph ( 50 to 55 mph ), not bad for a vehicle with a drag coefficient of 1.05.
City driving is what it is, I drive 2 km to work and back each day which in winter moves the temp to the C by the time I'm parking at work. I only have to fill half a tank every 6 weeks unless I go on a road trip so I don't really track city mpg.
BTW 1.05 is the drag coefficient of a cube.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone - these comments are really helpful! I am actually surprised at some of the highway mileage figures, as I had assumed that given the poor aerodynamics they wouldn't be that high. I'm going to continue tracking mileage, especially on tanks where I'm not just doing my commute. It is winter here now, and temps range from the teens to the 40's (F), so I'm sure my oil doesn't even get fully warm on my drive.

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
394 Posts
i hate driving above 65 bc of the 4spd tranny. sucks it down to about 18mpg. Normally 24 or so. My tires don't help matters either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks everyone - these comments are really helpful! I am actually surprised at some of the highway mileage figures, as I had assumed that given the poor aerodynamics they wouldn't be that high. I'm going to continue tracking mileage, especially on tanks where I'm not just doing my commute. It is winter here now, and temps range from the teens to the 40's (F), so I'm sure my oil doesn't even get fully warm on my drive.
getting down to the minus 5 F to 5F in the next few days here, already feeling that bumpy frozen tire ride. Next winter I should be 5 1/2 hours north of here after I move where its -10 to - 25 F for the next week.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just want to make sure my hwy miles are interpreted correctly, Imperial gallons in Canada have 5 qts vs US gallon having 4 qts so my mileage reflects that extra qt and gets me over 30 mpg if I do the speed limit of 50 - 55.

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD
83 Posts
I seem to average 19-21 on my 2004 with 260K miles. Virtually all my driving is sort trips (5 - 25 miles) around town. I haven't taken it on a longer trip to know how it would do on a steady highway trip.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just want to make sure my hwy miles are interpreted correctly, Imperial gallons in Canada have 5 qts vs US gallon having 4 qts so my mileage reflects that extra qt and gets me over 30 mpg if I do the speed limit of 50 - 55.
I have a very hard time believing any Element could get 30+ mpg. Mines getting 21-23. About half what my wife 2015 Prius C gets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 E EX AWD Automatic has about 166K on the clock. For mostly very local short drives I'm getting about 17.7 mpg. Just curious about what others are experiencing in the real world and whether mine is typical.

Thanks for your input!
06 EX with 179K, using reg Chevron gas: took a 450 mile roadtrip, no hills, steady 65mph, got 26 mpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a 2005 AWD standard that got a little over 25. Now I have a 2009 AWD standard, and I think I get a little under 25. All rural sort of highway. 257K

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for your input!
I have a 2009 Element EX all wheel drive with a 5 Speed Manual. I have had the car for two and a half years, I commute five days a week 84 miles round trip 70 percent on highway with speed limit of 65 MPH. I have tracked my mileage on Fuelly.com since buying the car. I do coast on downhills where I can maintain the speed limit. I average 27.6 mpg over the last 35,000 miles. I think my mileage is mostly attributed to having the manual transmission and coasting when possible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts