Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the suprise features of our Element (and a total shock to the dealer) is that we can fit our son IN his pediatric wheelchair into the space of one of the back seats. The chair also fits sideways behind the back seats giving us seating for 5!

Is there anyone here that has either used a wheelchair in their E or has some ideas about securing a wheelchair for travel? We have only placed the chair inside but have not yet driven with it. We don't have proper tiedowns installed yet and we want to be sure that we can tie down the chair according to safety standards.

I've read the federal guidelines but wondered if anyone has any other suggestions or information that I'm missing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find a solution for the tie downs for the wheelchair. I'm looking for the same solution... I realize this is an old posting but there is little info on this topic.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Interesting that this comes up. There is somewhere that has all kinds of modifications for these kinds of things and I am also looking for it.

I found this vehicle by mistake. I have a friend that got into an motorcycle accident and just lost his leg. He needs good access for himself with the prosthetic and the wheel chair. There are companies that do modifications for these things and we are looking for them as well. I saw a website on that .. i think it was in here but I am not sure.

Anyway I test drove the E for HIM and now we are both getting one. Let me see if I can find you the link for that.

Kalinka

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The strongest points for securing items in the back of the Element are the mounting points for the rear seats - the 4 bars in the floor, plus the tracks on the side. There are also 4 fold out D loops, 2 under the seats, and 2 by the tailgate. However, I don't think these are nearly as strong, since each attaches to the car with a single screw. Oh, and there are also the 2 LATCH loops in the ceiling by the tailgate.

For anything more you need to consult a profesional.

paulj

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was sure hoping someone had already found some answers to the placements for the wheelchair supports without the expense of perfessional help. I've called a few mobility outfits and they aren't up to speed on the E at this time unless you are looking at a full blown drop the floor type of conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts