Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found the Armor All wheel cleaner to br very good at removing brake dust and cleaning alloy wheels but have to wonder if it is not good for the longevity of the finish on the wheels.

Does anyone have any information regarding this question ?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I don't trust those magical spray on spray off type things. Brake dust is some nasty stuff. Anything that's harsh enough to just take that off without any rubbing at all can't get good for the clear coat on there in the long run.

This is why I just stick to the stuff I use to wash the rest of the car, a brush and a rag and take about 5 minutes per wheel to get all the nooks and crannies clean.

·
Registered
247 Posts
lisen to Frozen Dont use the "magic spray" it will ruin your wheel's in the long run. I use soap, water and a scrubby of some sort and take your time..

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheel cleaners

lisen to Frozen Dont use the "magic spray" it will ruin your wheel's in the long run. I use soap, water and a scrubby of some sort and take your time..
I will listen to both of you and not use a wheel cleaner. I do keep up with the wheel cleaning since I cannot stand seeing the wheels covered in brake dust so I am sure the soap will be just fine.

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
If you swith to ceramic brake pads, it will seriously reduce your break dust problem. If you swith to organic brake pads, you will never have a brake dust problem again. I use the EBC "Green Stuff" pads on all three of my cars and I never get any brake dust at all.

Chief

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brake Dust

If you wash your wheels every time you wash your car you will never see any brake dust one them.
My Black Element stays clean longer than my wheels !

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brake Dust

If you swith to ceramic brake pads, it will seriously reduce your break dust problem. If you swith to organic brake pads, you will never have a brake dust problem again. I use the EBC "Green Stuff" pads on all three of my cars and I never get any brake dust at all.

Chief
The local Honda dealer will most likely be the place I select for service. Will they give me a choice of pads ?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
The local Honda dealer will most likely be the place I select for service. Will they give me a choice of pads ?
No they won't, as with any dealer, they will tell you that the only thing you should ever put on your car is genuine "tons of brake dust" Honda brake pads! If you put on anything else, you are taking money out of their pockets!

Chief

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Has anyone tried that Mothers Ball on their wheels. I thought about getting one because I like the thought of using a cordless drill in place of elbow grease. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Has anyone tried that Mothers Ball on their wheels. I thought about getting one because I like the thought of using a cordless drill in place of elbow grease. Any thoughts?
It's junk. You'll never get into all the nooks and crannies your fingers can get to. And the big areas that the ball CAN clean, you can clean just as fast with a rag.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have the mothers cone shaped wheel polisher and it work's ok, you still hafe to use a bit of elbow grease ,and be carefull not to use it dry, make sure you have polish or whatever you'r using and wipe it of with a rag after polishing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Griots wheel cleaner

Thanks hiram, I will give it a try!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts