Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello E Drivers,

My wife has an 05 AWD element, and she had a steering wheel shake problem.

Right around 35-40 mph, the steering wheel would shake after going over some bumps.

We have drastic temp changes here in the midwest, and I figured it was a tire psi issue.

As it turns out, I was correct. All 4 tires were 6-8 psi low. After filling them to the correct psi temp when cold, and rotating the tires, the problem has subsided.

For those of you who have this problem, get those tires filled to the proper psi, and that should take care out it.

She is on 80k miles, and I've already changed out 3 sets of front brakes and 1 set of back brakes. She drives all city miles, and there are vast hills around our area.

Should I be worried about excessive brake wear, or is this normal for a 4000 lb car driven daily in the city and up and down hills?

Thanks for your input! You have been a big help with instructions on changing the in cabin filter and rear diff. I'll never take it to the stealership again!!!!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The wear on the brakes is different for every driver. My wife tends to use up pads more frequently on her E than I do on mine.

Please take the time to Fill out your profile !!

Thanks!

Welcome to the EOC.

Dom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3 front set brakes 1 back set 80k miles

Hello e owners,

Every since we bought our car, I've used auto zone's brakes with the lifetime war. on them.

My wife has gone thru 3 front sets and 1 back set. Rotors and calipers appear to be in good shape. Slight uneven wear towards driver side, but she most drives by herself and all city driving.

Our city is filled with hilly driving. I love the lady, but she does talk on the damn cell phone and ride her brakes too much.

Would this be considered normal for such conditions?

Also, so doesn't get better than 20-21 mpg, unless we take a road trip, then she gets about 23 mpg.

Does this sound right?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
3 front sets and 1 back set. Rotors ... appear to be in good shape.
Interesting. The Honda pads are much harder—I had to replace my front rotors and probably should have done the rears, just from the original pads, at 90K–100K. Never could have gone through three sets of pads on the original front rotors.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Listen to the E

Maybe I've been brought up weird, but I've always listened for audible clues from my cars to see if something is going on with them.

I probably drive the car once or twice a week on weekends when we aren't working.

As soon as there is an semblance of grind, squeal, or vibe from the front or rear brakes, I change them out.

In the 8 years of owning a 93 acura integra 4 wheel disc or 4.5 years of owning the element, auto zone has always taken the worn pads and given me new ones for free with the lifetime warranty.

The rotors are in good shape, and the pads I've changed usually have a little life left in them, even though I may take some of the worn brake pad off myself so the auto zone clerk gives me my new pads without any fuss.

I've heard of auto zone and advance clerks not giving new pads unless the old ones are completely worn down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your MPG is about right on which I know is diappointing for a 4 cylinder, but hey it is AWD! My wife gets 20 or so MPG around town and we get 20-25 on the highway depending on which way and how hard the wind is blowing. So, if you calculate the population (10K) and driving characteristics (SLOOOOW) I would say that for living in Cincy 20-21 MPG every day driving is pretty killer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts