Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will try to make this short.
val and i took the new e to visit her parents today. her stepfather has ms and is in a wheelchair.
they currently have a dodge minivan and he has mastered transferring himself from his chair into the van. the e offers several advantages for them over their van (imagine that!) but has a couple of drawbacks in terms of his transfer into the e. getting back out was substantially easier for him than the van but getting in poses some challenges.
the deal is that when he transfers to the van, he is able to use the seat itself as well as the door for supporting his weight while he shifts his hips onto the seat. then he moves his feet into the van with his hands then uses an armrest on the passenger seat to comfortably position himself in the seat.
because of the geometry of the front door on the e, it's too far of a reach for him to be able to place his hand on the door in the same way as with his van.
has anyone done or heard of any modifications for handicap access?

·
Registered
32 Posts
i think the best mod for him is to lower the E my freind is in a chair and the most difficult part was the transfer from chair to drivers seat so he added a swiveling base to the drivers seat this helped tremendously the same type out of a us mail jeep they swivel and are adjustable and lock into place hope that helps

·
Registered
504 Posts
How about installing those air shocks and letting the air out when the person is getting in to make it a bit easier? I really don't know much about air shocks, just throwing out an idea. That swivel seat thing sounds like a good idea too.

With all the great idea generators on this site we should be able to help out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts