Honda Element Owners Club banner

Where are the spark plugs?

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  E and a B 
#1 ·
Sp ... Where Are the Spark Plugs

I know I don't need to know anytime soon but curiosity got the best of me. Under which of the 2 black plastic pieces are the plugs under? Anyone know where I can see a diagram?

#2 ·
Re: Sp ... Where Are the Spark Plugs

it's under the smaller black cover. hope that helps.

#5 ·

jvegas said:
I know I don't need to know anytime soon but curiosity got the best of me. Under which of the 2 black plastic pieces are the plugs under? Anyone know where I can see a diagram?
If you have to ask, or can't figure this out yourself, you shouldn't be under the hood anyway. :roll:

#6 ·

E-nigma said:
If you have to ask, or can't figure this out yourself, you shouldn't be under the hood anyway. :roll:
Well thats certainly easy to take the swipe. I've done alot under the hoods of cars. I haven't owned a new one since 1993. Even an apparent expert such as yourself would realize how different this one looks to cars/trucks of that era and older. As I said the plug "wires" don't even resemble ones I've seen hence the question. :roll:

#9 ·

lizzurd said:
If anything it means fewer moving parts since it does away with the distributor.
Does an ECM (or other acronym for onboard computer) tell the coils-plugs when to fire? I agree the doing away with the distributor is a good thing. My old '78 Civic burned points regularly. Replacing them was easy just not fun.

#10 · (Edited)

jvegas said:
Does an ECM (or other acronym for onboard computer) tell the coils-plugs when to fire? I agree the doing away with the distributor is a good thing. My old '78 Civic burned points regularly. Replacing them was easy just not fun.

All of the newer honda's use a pick up off the crank to fire the plugs.

Id love to be able to pick up an old civic.....had a blast driving one i borrowed for the weekend.

#11 ·

lizzurd said:
All of the newer honda's use a pick up off the crank to fire the plugs.

Id love to be able to pick up an old civic.....had a blast driving one i borrowed for the weekend.
The '78 was my first Honda car. My dad and I took it to Vegas and got 41 mpg. My dad was shocked at the mileage, he bought an Accord within a year of that :grin:

#17 ·
....not to rain on your parade, BUT if you have to ask that question I would strongly recommend that your dealer or other trusted mechanic will d the maintenance. I have seen folks pour coolant into oil spouts, and windshield wiper fluid into cooling systems. Then take a CarCare 101 class at your local community college. You will do much better servicing when you understand the fundamentals of automotive technology.
Today's cars are great engineering and manufacturing accomplishments (Hondas are anyway), and they perform incredibly well and reliable. But when something goes wrong it can get expensive quickly.... my $0.02

#15 ·
They hid the plugs where you can't do anything to them unless you know what's in the repair manual first. Me? I wanna get 8 fake plug tops, some wires and a distributor cap, stick them on top of the engine, and then go back to my dealer and ask them to see what's making that noise under the hood. Honda V-8's should run smoother than that. :grin:

#20 ·
AW!!! Wrenching on a DC3????? Its the same except the plugs go all whe way around the engine. Now starting a DC3 is a lot different.:grin:I will say its probably the best plane ever built out there. When the OP asked where the plugs were I was going to say something stupid like they are in the head..:roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.