Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Paulypaul,

Well, the spare is not full sized. It is located under the removal floor in the back of the Element. You can remove it without removing the rear seats. The compartment could be a bit bigger to carry tools, but it holds the spare ok.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i think the spare should have went under the car, so you could have some storage space, thats the only thing i have found that i don't like about the E

·
Registered
71 Posts
I may be the minority with this opinion but....

I think the spare should have been full sized and placed on the tail gate. The element's backend is a little too boring for me. If I had the money i would find away to mount it back there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my opinion a spare need only be good enough to get you to the tire shop. It also needs to be out of sight. A friend has a CRV with the spare on the rear gate. A problem when opening , hard to keep a good cover from walking, and also causes major damage when hit from behind. Prehaps it would have been better put under the vehicle leaving a solid and stronger floor in the rear.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, after owning a Jeep Renegade for 15 years, I will kinda miss having the fullsize spare on the back. Wonder if anyone makes a rack for one that can be mounted there....

And spare gas can mounts....

heh. Dont get me started.

·
Registered
87 Posts
dude..didn't your sales person went through the car with u??
8) :shock:

·
Registered
914 Posts
So, last night, me and my spare became very intimate. Got a flat at the store and had to change it in the dim lights of the parking lot.

One thing I noticed: A full size spare can be put into the well. something on the plate the holds down the spare says "this way up for full size" or something like that. It might be just for transport though, and not storage.

Anyway, the tire was easy to put on. Now hopefully I can get my tire fixed.

·
Registered
914 Posts
[quote:2815c1771e="lae10851"]Thats what you get for driving over them pretty seashells![/quote:2815c1771e]

I think it was your brother-in-law that slashed it :wink:

don't know the cause...maybe it was a seashell...maybe it was a lobster?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is just my opinion, but of the 3 carrying methods mentioned here (internal, under, on the back), I like the under option the least.

My families last 2 large vehicles, a 90 Aerostar and an 88 Plymouth Voyager, both had full-size spares mounted under the back of the car.

If you end up not using them, it gets bad, real bad.
My dad and I had to cut the one off the Plymouth because the wheel and brace (holding it in place) were rusted together.
The Aerostar's tire actually fell off in a parking lot. My dad came out and started pulling out of the parking space when he hit something. When he couldn't see anything out the window, he got out and found it.
The single bolt that held the tire in place had completely rusted, and just snapped. Good thing no one was driving at the time.

Not I have a 99 CR-V, and I rather like having the wheel on the back. I still have an internal wheel well in the back, and I am able to store an blanket and pillow (for emergencies) in it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
If the wheel was on the back, it would look like a crv. That, and there wouldn't be a tailgate because the wheel/hatch would have to swing out.

I was driving my old vw vanagon one day and the spare dropped out from the front. I was on the freeway at the time, so it kinda startled me. anyway, i agree with that not using the spare when it is underneath may hurt in the long run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts