·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for this...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Are you looking for a brush guard or the DIY HD grill guard? I was just at home depot and they only had white and brown gutter guards :(

If your looking for the lower grill guard to protect the cooler then you just need some black zip ties and a peice of gutter guard to put on.

Now if only my HD had black gutter guard :( time to start searching the mom and pop shops!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Element Fanatic

Try Lowes for the Black gutter guard. They had it when I was in search of!

·
Registered
836 Posts
just to touch base and give info on he item i bought (1 roll of gutter guard) After seeing the stiff panels at HD and comparing them to the roll i think the stiff panels are tons better, the roll is so flexible that even after i had it all zip tied in and set i did a little test by pushing lightly on the new guard.... roll guard is soo flexible that it allowed me to still touch the cooler while pushing lightly, i dont think it will stand up to a dragonfly/butterfly let alone a rock :(

I'm going to check lowes this weekend for the panel peice i need otherwise there are about 20 HD's in town that i will check for the black guard.

EF

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hope thatisnt the case for TX! When i was at HD they had white and brown panels. I went ot he front to ask when they would be getting in more black panels and after checking he could only special order them for me and if i wanted that i would have to buy a box of 35 for a minimum order.... at 3 dollars a peice i decided to continue looking.... Really hope another HD pulls through or a Lowes. Maybe i can get the guy to do a test order of the black panels on HD's tab, get a few boxes see how well that color sells on their shelves.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I got mine at HD and it was unpainted silver. I left it that way...thought it looked good on a black E IMO.

·
Registered
555 Posts
just to touch base and give info on he item i bought (1 roll of gutter guard) After seeing the stiff panels at HD and comparing them to the roll i think the stiff panels are tons better, the roll is so flexible that even after i had it all zip tied in and set i did a little test by pushing lightly on the new guard.... roll guard is soo flexible that it allowed me to still touch the cooler while pushing lightly, i dont think it will stand up to a dragonfly/butterfly let alone a rock :(

I'm going to check lowes this weekend for the panel peice i need otherwise there are about 20 HD's in town that i will check for the black guard.

EF
I did the same thing..The 1st roll I bought was very thin and flexible and when I zip tied it it would tear. I went back up to Lowes and looked again (dont know why they were not in same area?) I found a much thicker roll. I bought that and when I installed it I doubled up on it and it workes very well. It is very sturdy, yet has a little give to it to help absorb an impact. Have had it on over a year w/ no problem.

·
Registered
555 Posts
How much trouble is it to take the bumper cover off to put the panel on?
For someone that is famililar w/ doing any type of body repair it should'nt be a problem. I always seem to break the clips so I had a friend help me. He's always doing stuff to his vehicle, he had no big problem. I still would'nt do it myself do to my bad luck. It goes pretty fast for someone whos good at it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The unpainted metal (silver-colored) gutter guard from Home Depot worked for me. Hubbie did the install. I did the procurement. ( I accidently dumped the carton of a zillion on the floor while asking the sales associate how much $ they cost.....he just told me LADY, JUST TAKE ONE and LEAVE..No charge!

There are instructions on taking off the front bumper in this forum (for installing fog lights)... the front bumper on the 09 is all plastic, not very heavy at all. Took the two of us to remove and set down as it wants to twist, have a blanket on the ground to put the bumper on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts