Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to change my own oil as Im not paying 30$ for walmart to do it. I have changed oil before on other vehicles I have but not the element.

Anything crazy about the Honda or is everything normal? I know I have to reset the thing to keep the light from blinking..

Any advice...thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read through some of those and see someone there had to take off the right side tire??? I hope to H^&*##$ I didnt buy a car where you have to take off a tire to change the oil..lol

Good lord I might should have just payed walmart 30$

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nooo!! You don't have to do all that! Trust me, I'm no greese monkey and it's a really easy procedure. The oil plug is right where you would think it would be and the filter is not bad to reach from under the car to change out. To me it's one of those things where you get under it and if you have changed the oil out before on a car, it will all seem VERY familiar.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
lengthy discussion in this thread.

Be sure and read more than just a few pages into it....there are some good ideas.

The oil filter is behind the motor....near the exaust manifold. The drain plug is on the bottom. :wink: It looks like a typical oil pan drain plug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
havent done the oil change yet..keep putting it off. Need to find a ditch to stradle to get under the thing..lol..

Gonna try and get it done next weekend sometime. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
can I take the oil plug off with just some normal visegrips?
NO!

mikieson said:
I dont have wrenches or anything much...
Then go buy just a single "17mm combination wrench" (open on one end and boxed on the other) at your nearest hardware store.

mikieson said:
BUT visegrips are the mans mans tool..:)
I think you would get some argument on that statement.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You will find vise grips work really well. Its really the only way to get a good grip on the oil plug head.
If you find the vise grips don't do it a chisel and hammer work to get off a stubborn one. Just put the tip of the chisel on one of the flats near the outer edge and give the chisel a good whack. The force of the impact will usually break the plug free. I have got many a stubborn bolt loose this way. Especially after I strip the flats on the bolt head with the vise grips.

If the filter gives you any trouble you can take an awl and push it through the oil filter can along the radii. After you get the awl through the can layer push it straight to and through the other side. This will give you handle and leverage to twist the filter loose.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
If the filter gives you any trouble you can take an awl and push it through the oil filter can along the radii. After you get the awl through the can layer push it straight to and through the other side. This will give you handle and leverage to twist the filter loose.
:confused:
I've removed filters this way that were otherwise hard to remove only I used a large/long flat bladed screwdriver (and a hammer).

(Really)

·
Registered
730 Posts
OK I did my first oil change on my '09 and it was a different experience than from when I had my '06!!!! Draining the oil from the pan....nothing new, piece of cake. Removing the oil filter?!? OMG I wanted to kill Honda for making such a tiny space to reach that darn thing! I finally got it off by using a filter wrench but it was not easy. Now that I replaced it I hope that it will be easier since it was all completed by hand this time.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Just lean over the front of the car and reach your hand down behind the motor. you can't see it too easily but its much easier to get to and easier to remove. Or just trade it in at the next oil change interval.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts