Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan. I havent lived in california long, this state is so beautiful. Photography is a hobby of mine.

What about yall? Where do you all like to go camping at in California?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Big Sur campground! great pub right next to it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I was also at Kirk Creek, but as one of the folks working the fires. I was based over the hill at Hunter-Liggett managing the incident communications, but spent a day driving the fire and coast checking it out.

As far as camping spots, my all time favorite is Prairie Creek Redwood State Park north if Eureka. It does not get any better for weather, wildlife, and beautiful.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As far as camping spots, my all time favorite is Prairie Creek Redwood State Park north if Eureka. It does not get any better for weather, wildlife, and beautiful.
Gold Bluffs Beach Campground and Fern Canyon in Prairie Creek Redwood State Park are definitely worth the long drive from L.A.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I usually go camping a few times a year and would Highly Recommend Campland by the Bay out in San Diego. It is a great campground with many activities for the family and my kids have a blast. Me and my entire family have been going to this campground for the better part of 15 years and usually go each and every year for Labor Day Weekend, and it is always packed. We reserve our spot each year for the following year when we check in.

Here is a link to the camp grounds

http://www.campland.com

I have never taken our Element as I have a Toy Hauler that I take for my family to camp in, but I have seen a couple of Elements in the years past.

Just my 2 cents, so if anyone tries it out or if anyone has been there before, they will confirm what I have said above that this is a Class "A" campground with hook ups and hot showers should you not have a trailer or toy hauler.

Enjoy,

Angel M.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a trip is being planned.....

TheTimeTravelers: Nice pics! Ive been looking into taking a trip far north. Was looking into Humbolt Redwoods State Park. How does Prairie Creek Redwood State Park compare, or which would you prefer?

Revhard: Thanks for the recomendation. I was looking for a place to camp in my E last fall on a trip down to San Diego, will have to log that spot!

Question: What do you all know about being able to pull over and sleeping in your car on Hwy 1. Ive seen people do this between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay, I just want to know if this is legal or not.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I believe it's called "crescent bay" or something like that in Lake Tahoe. You can only get to it by boat, and then from boat, you have to take a small raft to the dock. The camping spots are huge, and it's completely seperate from roads and such. It's very nice.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It's Emerald Bay State Park you're referring to Serj.
Unfortunately Gov. Schwarzenegger is proposing to close Emerald Bay as well as 219 other California State Parks this summer because of the massive state budget deficit.

If the Gov's proposal passes, then many favorite spots to camp in California would be closed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Unfortunately Gov. Schwarzenegger is proposing to close Emerald Bay as well as 219 other California State Parks this summer because of the massive state budget deficit.

If the Gov's proposal passes, then many favorite spots to camp in California would be closed.
Yep - and Prairie Creek Redwoods and Humboldt Redwoods State Parks are on the list. :-( Also on the list is every single coastal state park (think BEACHES) except Hearst Castle. Hearst Castle brings in enough tourism dollars to be self-sufficient, therefor it stays open.

There is real concern here in Ventura County that if this all goes thru, coastal access in Ventura Co. will be severely limited, with access only in a couple of County Parks. Closed will be Leo Carrillo State Beach, Sycamore Cove State Beach, Pt. Mugu State Park (and beach), Ventura State Beach, and Emma Wood State Beach. There may still be a couple that I am missing, but that is MILES of beach access shut down for the summer.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You go Arnie - brilliant plan!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lassen

My vote goes to Lassen National Park. Won't be affected by the state park closures. It is off the beaten track. Wonderful volcanic stuff, and you can actually hike to the top of the volcano. If you go or return through Redding make sure to make the stop at Burney Falls, very pretty! :smile:

·
Registered
134 Posts
TheTimeTravelers: Nice pics! Ive been looking into taking a trip far north. Was looking into Humbolt Redwoods State Park. How does Prairie Creek Redwood State Park compare, or which would you prefer?
Prairie Creek is on the beach. The campground is open and sunny. They don't allow RVs to travel the road into Prairie Creek, so it was nice not to hear all those whining generators. We drove through Humbolt Redwoods, but have never camped there. The sites are under the big trees. The sites seemed kind of small and dark and cold to me. But we were there on a cold damp Fall day.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We think this will definitely happen!

Mr. TheTimeTravelers is an adjunct professor for the L.A. Community College District. Last week they decided to CANCEL summer school this year. (Mr. TheTimeTravelers's classes were full, now he's unemployed and thousands of LACCD students are out of luck.)

Yesterday, Cal State Poly Pomona CANCELED their summer school session.

We're pretty sure that next California will CANCEL the state parks too.

·
Registered
557 Posts

YEah, Emerald bay. It's right next to Vikingsholm and a couple other neat spots. How does one close a state park? WOuldn't they have to keep the same rangers around just to make sure no one was in the park when they weren't supposed to be? How does that save money?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Emerald bay is gorgeous. We were up in S. Lake Tahoe few weeks ago, stayed at Harveys.

Id love to see pics of these places if you guys have them. Sometimes they're hard to find online!

So, one post mentioned closing all state beach parks also? Thats a shame. Can we still surf at those beaches? Thanks everyone for replys. Better check with the state parks before visiting them!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anybody have any good suggestions for quick, easy camping within a short drive from SoCal?
Thinking of a quick getaway, just a day or two. Want to take advantage of the E (and get in some camping before Arnold closes the state parks).

·
Registered
557 Posts
WHen are they supposed to be closed because that would suck if it was July. Got our 5 year anniversary coming up and we were going to go camping in Monterey area.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts