Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any ideas on where to mount my amp for my subwoofers. I want to be able to remove my sub box without moving the amp with it. (in other words, just remove the cord that hooks to the box only). Currently i have my amp mounted on my box and im opposed to the idea of having to unhook the amp completely and have all the cords just hangin out. Im buying a whole new sub kit and i dont want to mount the amp to my new box. Any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
198 Posts
A lot of people have put them under the seat like oupost4.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Or put it under the cover and don't smack it every time you load something...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
there was barely enough room to flush it to the top and the extra that hung down to not hit the spare tire on mine. i think you would have to pull the spare out entirely to mount it under the cover.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You could mount it to a helmet and just remember to wear the helmet when you drive the E.

·
Banned
26 Posts
amp mount

Mount it upside down, underneath one of your rear seats. then you can run all wires into the wall of your e and take them whereever. by far the best way, and you can still flip your seat up.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Problem is that people like to take their seats out. Mounting them under the seat of an '07+ is impossible as well. There's literally an inch of clearance under there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think amps are specifically never meant to be Upside down. Get creative. I just found a lot of room in the dash of my V, and I'm gonna put some kinda amplifier there, even though I don't need another one...:D I like the idea of mounting it flush in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I think amps are specifically never meant to be Upside down. Get creative. I just found a lot of room in the dash of my V, and I'm gonna put some kinda amplifier there, even though I don't need another one...:D I like the idea of mounting it flush in the trunk.
before anyone suggests that i am agreeing with him cause he likes my idea of the flush in the trunk, :D Serj is correct about amps not being ment to be mounted upside down. there are some that the heatsinks are designed for mounting in either way, but most are not. and even the ones that are have physics to compete with cause even in the element heat rises :) this could lead to premature amp failure due to components that dont normally have large amounts of heat to deal with getting WAY too hot. i like the few on here that people have mounted under the seats as far as looks and i would make it so the seats were still removable, but it seems to be a wasted effort with the problems you most likely would encounter. the only way i would do it is if you have an amp that has fans on the sides and you could mount it so the heatsink was facing up when the seats were down, but then you would still have to space it away from the seat bottom so that the heatsink could cool down and not overheat in the carpeted underside of the seat.

lots of things to consider in addition to the cosmetics of amp placement.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'd like to see you drive around on one of your amps when you get a flat. :D
they are JL's, you'd be suprised what they are capable of doing. :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
If I could have some upside-down mountable amps, I'd cut away a section of the headliner, and mount them to the ceiling. No one could see them unless they were in the car. The only issue I have with flush mounting it in the trunk like that is that I carry a lot of stuff, and I'd be worried about dropping things on it or scratching it. I'd probably drop it down and create a little window you could see it through.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
not sure what you are looking to spend but check out joeys audison stuff. they are one of the few that i think are good to mount either way. joey has some killer stuff that he has done for both his and customers cars. he is a real cool guy to so if you shoot him a pm he will probably have some insite for you on that.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57675&page=2

·
Registered
557 Posts
Woah, he had the amps in the ceiling just like I was talking about. I'm about to start a center console project as well, like that. Removed the table out of the V, and then buying a 2006 Civic Si Center console (I like the drink holders) and then glassing it to the dash.

·
Banned
26 Posts
amp mount

If you need to take your seats out to haul something, go borrow a truck. under the seat mount is the best in my opinion, and you can still flip your seats up on the inside wall of your E. I have a 2005 element, i cant believe there is less room in the 2007. But i could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I like the roof mounted idea better than under the rear seats idea. I wouldn't worry too much about the amps overheating. I remember seeing at sound offs a lot of amps mounted upside down with plexiglass replacing the bottom plate of the amp so you could see the guts. This let amp manufacturers show off their internal design and engineering. The new digital class amplifiers like the Alpines and JL Audio HD amps are so efficient they're made to stack on top of each other. So mounting them upside down won't hurt them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts