Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my license plate lights with LEDs, but when I put them in, I get a bulb out warning (the dash lights and front turn and marker lights blink rapidly).

So (I'm pretty sure that) I need resistors. I would love to put them behind the tailgate panel, but I can't see an easy way to open it up.

Anyone know how to get into the tailgate? Or is there another location, maybe near a fuse box, where I could place these resistors?

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Typically you only need the resistors for the circuits than use the flasher. The tag light doesn't. Did you change any other bulbs at the same time?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About 2 1/2 years ago I replaced most of my exterior bulbs with LEDs. (Brakes, turn signals, sidemarkers, backup and hi-mount.) Had a problem I isolated to the brake lights so I used resistors for these. I also used a flasher unit for the turns.

Also at that time, I got the same dash-side-turn flashing problem that I'm having now when I used LEDs in the tag lights and applied the brakes, so I put the stock bulbs back & had no more problems. (Here's my original thread: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40205 )

I was never satisfied with the brightness of my LEDs, so I am in the process of upgrading to newer, higher powered ones and I was also hoping a newer LED would cure the tag light flashing problem. Alas, it was not to be.

Now as I re-read my original thread, I am reminded that there may be a voltage leak that is causing the problem. One guy fixed it with a SPDT relay (whatever that is), not a resistor. Since I am mostly ignorant about electricity and circuits, I have no idea how this works or how to wire it up. I think I will keep the stock incandescent tag bulbs.

With the LEDs, I have also had a slight problem with the hi-mount stop light (radio backlight dims when I apply the brakes, (except when my running/headlights are on) but this is minor (I hope), and I can live with this.

The good news is that the newer high power lights are noticeably brighter than the old LEDs. At least I will feel safer using these.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
as i'm sure you know, only the turn signals are supposed to flash, and only when they are turned on. if the other lights are flashing, something is wrong.

maybe i just lucked out when i converted my CR-V to LEDs, everything external except the headlights, foglights and the license plate light. i would have converted the plate light also, but i haven't been able to get to the bulb. my current theory is that the clear cover was installed while the paint wasn't completely dry, but i'm open to other theories. i had to replace the signal flasher w/ one that didn't hyperventilate, but no resistors or diodes were installed anywhere in the vehicle. the only abnormality is that when i brake w/ the lights on, both dash turn signal lights come on. only when i brake and have the lights on. i figure this is the car's way of telling me that the LEDs aren't drawing as much current as it expects. but since that _is_ what i expect, i've left it that way for about 6 years now.
anyway, i wrote this long story to try to convince you to continue w/ the efforts on the LEDs. all those flashing lights are the car's way of telling you that something is not the way it expects. and i agree w/ others that there's probably some sort of leakage/interaction going on in the LED circuits.
and don't let the electrical terms scare you. a diode is just a 1 way valve for current and a SPDT relay is just a switch that is electrically controlled.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
These flasher modules are designed with LED's in mind. Resistors or load resistor kits are a problem. All I found was excessive heat was produced.... enough to burn paint on the mounted surface. I threw mine out. Electronic LED flashers are the way to do this if you plan to be all LED. Keep in mind also that you can always find the right pin out combination here but may have to modify the fit with jumpers,(spade connectors and short pigtails), to make work.

·
Registered
480 Posts
SPDT = Single Pole Double Throw

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK . . . I'm game to try these relays since I really like the LED look. (And - in for a penny, etc. Right?)

Anyway, right now I am using resistors on the brake lights only and a flasher unit for the turn signals. Should I scrap these in favor of a relay? Type of relay? How should I wire this in? (Please realize that, while I am a quick study, when it comes to electric circuits I need someone literally to draw me a picture on how this should be set up.)

Thanks for all your help, and hope y'all had a great Memorial Day.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's all good...

Just to update - I finally installed all new LEDs from V-leds, and I am not having any more problems. I am even able to use the license plate LEDs.

I think it was the new 20 LED 7 watt hi-power 7443s I am using for the stop lights that made the difference. They must not have the current leakage that the old bulbs did. And they are much brighter than the old LED bulbs. Close to stock brightness, but still not great in direct sunlight. (Of course, what light is?)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can I ask where the flasher is located in the E and which type of flasher did you get? thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts