Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too cold here to do a lot of exploring underneath the hood yet. I know some of you out there must have been diving around in there by now, though. Where is the oil filter? Is it out in the open and easy to get to?

Just asking because it was almost impossible to reach in my last car.

How accessible are things overall under there?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Tiger - the oil filter is on the passenger, firewall side of motor. If you turn your wheels all the way to the left, you can reach in thru the large opening on the right hand side wheel well and feel it. If you're familiar with Honda products, you'll immediately notice that the oil filter is smaller (65 mm dia) than the usual sized oil filter (80 mm dia). Getting it off with a strap type or "claw type" filter wrench shouldn't present a problem. Please note you can go back to the standard size Honda Filter (80 mm) if you have that size of cup type wrench. Your honda dealer was issued a bulletin backing up what I'm saying. As for me I've got that size of wrench so I'm sticking with the 80mm size filter.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Tiger - the oil filter is on the passenger, firewall side of motor. If you turn your wheels all the way to the left, you can reach in thru the large opening on the right hand side wheel well and feel it. If you're familiar with Honda products, you'll immediately notice that the oil filter is smaller (65 mm dia) than the usual sized oil filter (80 mm dia). Getting it off with a strap type or "claw type" filter wrench shouldn't present a problem. Please note you can go back to the standard size Honda Filter (80 mm) if you have that size of cup type wrench. Your honda dealer was issued a bulletin backing up what I'm saying. As for me I've got that size of wrench so I'm sticking with the 80mm size filter.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Does a bigger oil filter (in volume) do a better job? It seems that it would.

And you say the first thing you notice is that it's smaller?

Help me out here?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would think the bigger filter has a bigger filtering capacity - that's reason number 2 for using it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts