Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car of choice would be the Honda Element EX MT AWD. (I've received the typical discouragement from the salescritter when explaining that I drive a manaul trans.)

The question for this thread is which accessories to order with the car. Off the top I would want:

Wheel locks $85
Roof Rack $305
Mid-size Roof Box $485
Trailer Hitch and Hitch Ball $486
Spash Guards $105
Tailgate Cabana $260
Fog Lights $337
Security System $225

I anticipate camping in Mexico and Central America, thus the wheel locks and security system.

1) Which of these are good choices in general?

2) Which of these should be ordered with the vehicle?

TIA

Rodes

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Welcome.

My question is are you handy with a wrench??

I installed my security system, my fogs lights, and the mud quards, they
were all really easy, but Im handy with a wrench, screwdriver, etc.

My other suggestion would be for you to check out this site:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/element.html

They have GREAT prices on most, if not all the accessories that you listed.
I didnt order ANYTHING from the dealer. I did have the dealer install my
Tailgate spoiler only because it was so cheap.

Once you get your E, make sure to update your sig so we know what
E you did get, and where you are from.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,530 Posts
The question for this thread is which accessories to order with the car. Off the top I would want:

Wheel locks $85
Roof Rack $305
Mid-size Roof Box $485
Splash Guards $105
Tailgate Cabana $260
Fog Lights $337
Security System $225

I anticipate camping in Mexico and Central America, thus the wheel locks and security system.

First of all - WELCOME, WELCOME!! Glad to have you aboard!! :)

Second - definitely wait for the MT, LOVE ours, wouldn't trade it! :razz:

On your list (for the new car purchase) - recommend the Honda trailer harness, but, buy the hitch elsewhere (I got mine from U-Haul and installed myself).
The NEW Honda tent (see this thread and HandA for more info (and a cheaper price)) beats the old cabana hands down:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55596
http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementext.html

IMHO you can install the rest yourself and save a whole lotta money that you can put into to jerky or camp fuel for you excursions.....
Look in the FAQ/How Tos section for more info on how to DIY all that you want...... :cool::smile:

Good Luck and, again, WELCOME!! :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AztecRol asked:

>My question is are you handy with a wrench??

I'm not the best but I'm not the worst. I have a chest-type tool box if that gives you a clue.

I would certainly be willing to tackle most installs.

Toaster said:

>buy the hitch elsewhere

I assume the trailer harness is the square pipe deal and the hitch just slides in.

All suggestions and feedback welcome.

BTW, I'm in the Virginia blue ridge area.

A little background: I've wanted an E for years but my civic wouldn't die. Also I worried about the hit on mileage. Tried to talk myself into other cars. Finally came to grips with the fact that what I WANTED was the Element. :)

I hope to buy this fall.

Rodes

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The only suggestion I would make is consider a rack and box other than honda. Thule and Yakima both make racks that are E compatible and are (imltho) better suited to actual use. I have a factory rack and I only trust it for occasional use.

The splash guards are worth twice what you'll pay for them and install with a minimum of fuss.

Do the 09's need the HD gutter mod?

·
Registered
751 Posts
AztecRol asked:
>buy the hitch elsewhere
I assume the trailer harness is the square pipe deal and the hitch just slides in.
No, the harness is the wiring aparatus that hooks up the trailer lights. If you're planning to tow anything, you need the Honda harness. DO NOT let a hitch installer hackup your electrical system. Honda's harness is plug an play, no splicing.

We recommend an aftermarket hitch b/c you can get one with the more common 2" receiver. It won't add to your towing capacity but, gives you more options for hitch mounted accessories.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My car of choice would be the Honda Element EX MT AWD. (I've received the typical discouragement from the salescritter when explaining that I drive a manaul trans.)

Wheel locks $85
Roof Rack $305
Mid-size Roof Box $485
Spash Guards $105
Tailgate Cabana $260
Fog Lights $337
Security System $225

TIA

Rodes
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/5SDude/DSC09854.jpg

I'm not that into dirt or sleeping on hard floors.
I would get a TearDrop - plus it's much more comfortably quite, enjoyably quiet, and you stay cleaner. It's harder for wild life to get at you - a safety factor in my book. That's my TearDrop in the picture at a friends home.:D

Plus,
you might want to purchase Mexican car insurance - that's a must have.:lol:

Cecil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, the harness is the wiring aparatus that hooks up the trailer lights. If you're planning to tow anything, you need the Honda harness. DO NOT let a hitch installer hackup your electrical system. Honda's harness is plug an play, no splicing.

We recommend an aftermarket hitch b/c you can get one with the more common 2" receiver. It won't add to your towing capacity but, gives you more options for hitch mounted accessories.
I definitely see the wisdom of the standard Honda electrical connection.

Could you spell out how and where you would purchase the different parts?

The Honda standard accessory price is $486.
Handa prices: hitch $217, wiring $120, ball $11.
Labor: ??

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/5SDude/DSC09854.jpg

I'm not that into dirt or sleeping on hard floors.
I would get a TearDrop - plus it's much more comfortably quite, enjoyably quiet, and you stay cleaner. It's harder for wild life to get at you - a safety factor in my book. That's my TearDrop in the picture at a friends home.:D

Cecil.
You have opened my eyes!

So a little googling informs me that "teardrop" is a generic term.

http://www.campingearth.com/teardrop/

Who makes the one in your picture? And who makes your roof rack?

It looks so tiny but I assume one or two can stretch out inside. I'm thinking that given the boxy shape of the E, it won't hurt the mileage that much.

I was imagining some type of mattress in the back of the E, but the teardrop approach leaves the E uncluttered.

Very cool.

(Yeah, Mex insurance. Got it.)

Peter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, found it. You must have a "Little Guy". I'm thinking the 4-wide retro.

If 4-foot, are you happy with that? Or do you yearn for an extra foot in the bed space?

http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,66/

LITTLE GUY RASCAL TEARDROP CAMPER TRAILER MSRP - $5,495
LITTLE GUY 4-WIDE RETRO TEARDROP CAMPER TRAILER MSRP - $4,995
LITTLE GUY 4-WIDE PLATFORM TEARDROP CAMPER TRAILER MSRP - $5,295
LITTLE GUY 5-WIDE RETRO TEARDROP CAMPER TRAILER MSRP - $5,995

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ah, found it. You must have a "Little Guy". I'm thinking the 4-wide retro.

If 4-foot, are you happy with that? Or do you yearn for an extra foot in the bed space?

http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,66/

LITTLE GUY RASCAL TEARDROP CAMPER TRAILER MSRP - $5,495
LITTLE GUY 4-WIDE RETRO TEARDROP CAMPER TRAILER MSRP - $4,995
LITTLE GUY 4-WIDE PLATFORM TEARDROP CAMPER TRAILER MSRP - $5,295
LITTLE GUY 5-WIDE RETRO TEARDROP CAMPER TRAILER MSRP - $5,995
Yes your right. But mine is the 4-wide Deluxe model. It has all of the little confy items that one would need. I paid $2300 used back in January 12, 2004. You can purchase one on Craigslist for about the same or maybe less? That's the way to go - get a used one and fix it up your way. I just bought a electric motorized operated fan - roof vent, with lights for it. Surround sound system, 27inch High Definition Multimedia intereface set, there is so much you can do with them. Imagination is key when you camp in for items that you'll need later, and just take your time.:) Plus most of the time, I forget that its behind me when I tow it. The wife said its the only way that she would go camping with me. I purchased it for her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can purchase one on Craigslist for about the same or maybe less? That's the way to go - get a used one and fix it up your way.
Thanks for the great tip. I realize that if I go this route, I don't need the roof rack and box saving some $700. Anything that would go in the box can go in the trailer. Skis can go in the trailer or just toss them in the E for short trips to the slope.

Bikes? I bet there is a way to piggy back a bike carrier off the trailer hitch.

Kayak? I don't own one but that would definitely call for a roof rack. :)

Peter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts