Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I <3 MT. But the Element is not a sports car.

I have a long commute. Lots of highway.

I remember reading that the 5spd MT is not geared well for highway.

I would also imagine an SC (lower, FWD) would make a better 'highway cruiser', but I want to know, strictly from a transmission point of view, are they geared the same, or not?

Thank you,

(Auto vs. Manual for Highway Cruising)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Definitely Auto for Highway Crusing. The rpm's are much higher in the MT (someone will chime in with numbers).

I am glad we don't drive much on a highway, I love my MT!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely Auto for Highway Crusing. The rpm's are much higher in the MT (someone will chime in with numbers).

I am glad we don't drive much on a highway, I love my MT!
Oh man... that's what I thought....

Has anyone had problems with these auto boxes if they are taken care of (fluid +filter every 50k min, etc)

p3

·
Registered
19 Posts
AUTOMATIC vs STD

My personal opinion that Honda builds one of the best automatic trans for all driving conditions being a retired auto tech and 43 yr shop owner i have never driven a more flexible gear box.The grade sensitizing feature is very nice set the cruse and it just go's 3000 rpm 62 mph sweet spot at 3500 it has a compression down shift feature on down hills . The 3dr. feature is great in the twisties. 28-31 mpg highway 21-23 in town. My son operates an import car repair center and has yet to have a problem with the 5 Sp auto trans.A good friend of mine has a manual he says it is good in town but it is like rowing a boat in the twisties or driving in heavy mountain areas too much shifting but then again we are old f--t's . I love my E it reminds me of my 62 vw bus westy [Porsche powered of course]

olbill

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'll wager that this opinion is refuted, once one of the 6 speed MT modified owners chimes in. Typically you will see better performance though on a manual transmission just because of the way it functions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll wager that this opinion is refuted, once one of the 6 speed MT modified owners chimes in. Typically you will see better performance though on a manual transmission just because of the way it functions.
How are people doing the 6MT... ? [cost/labor]

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
We would love to have the conversion done, but for now it's not an option with having only one car to drive to work.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You will need to check out the 6 speed mt thread on this site for more details. I would love to do it but I can't do it myself and my lack of funds are preventing it right now. I have no idea what a shop would charge for this and even being able to find a shop to do it could be hard.

That being said the 5AT transmissions are probably the best stock system for highway cruising. The 5MT can rev a bit high on the highway and get a little noisy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will need to check out the 6 speed mt thread on this site for more details. I would love to do it but I can't do it myself and my lack of funds are preventing it right now. I have no idea what a shop would charge for this and even being able to find a shop to do it could be hard.

That being said the 5AT transmissions are probably the best stock system for highway cruising. The 5MT can rev a bit high on the highway and get a little noisy.

Why don't you just post the relevant 6MT stuff for me to read so I don't have to search at all? JK. I dislike it when people do that, and I appreciate the info given to me. The first response should have been "SEARCH IS NOT BROKEN" or something similar. Thank you gents.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
I'm curious, I could see performance being an issue in a road race, and perhaps an mpg difference, but what kind of performance difference would you expect to see while highway cruising?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can get enough MPG by granny driving, I was more interested in...

Engine RPM (and cabin noise)
'Wear and Tear' (if it applies... high engine and trans rpm)

Sadly going to be pounding highway miles.... Looking at 2007-2010 E's.... Except I do not like the Titanium (tan) and gray (super light gray) interior options. Will probably do leather and heat for DIY +$1000. =)

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
If you want to optimize for highway cruising, tires can make a big difference.

When I switched to a P225 Yokohama AVID, the highway ride and handling improved dramatically. I'd expected to see a 1 lower indicated mpg because of the ~4% larger diameter, but my odo-measured mpg for the past year has risen.

As far as cabin noise, it hasn't been an issue for me since I installed a foam floor and covered it with carpeting.:)

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
The 6MT is great and has made our life with the E a much more pleasant experience by vastly reducing the engine noise at cruise. The 12% mpg improvement is just icing. Of course the mod is clearly not for everyone, especially if you have to pay someone to do it.

BTW, Honda cannot offer the 6-speed - at least not in the final drive ratios we have in ours. This is due to EPA requirements relating to speed range of the highest gear. This requirement is a little complicated to explain, but with a MT the RPMs are too low at 35 mph to maintain emissions compliance, the 35 being the required lowest speed in top gear. This isn't a problem with the AT because the computer will downshift for you.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm curious, I could see performance being an issue in a road race, and perhaps an mpg difference, but what kind of performance difference would you expect to see while highway cruising?
Actually the racing world uses racing auto-trans, with paddle shifters. Pro road-race/rally teams wouldn't be caught dead driving a manual, when split-seconds count. One 'off' shift will lose a race.

Formula 1's? All auto all the time. :-D

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
Actually the racing world uses racing auto-trans, with paddle shifters. Pro road-race/rally teams wouldn't be caught dead driving a manual, when split-seconds count. One 'off' shift will lose a race. Formula 1's? All auto all the time. :-D
I personally detest that closed loop racing has become an exercise in advertising to spectators, not a sport but a spectacle.

IMO, the idea that one 'off' shift can lose 500 mile or 24 hour race, so the task should be off-loaded to other machines, is ludicrous. Perhaps they should just eliminate all the mechanical devices that require skill, put the vehicle operators on foot and see if they remember how to walk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts