Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda dealer suggests first oil change at 3,ooo mile instead of the 5,000 miles described in the manual. Which maintenance schedule should I follow? Help?

BTW, I will be following the severe conditions matrix.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The Honda dealer is in the business of making money. If he can convince you to come in every 3000 miles, it's money in his pocket. Always go by what the guys that make the car say.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The severe maintenance schedule is at 5,000 miles. How much more stress could you be placing on your Element than that?

Follow the published maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I agree go with what the engineers who designed your car recommend, use the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. If however you have free oil changes then get them done as frequently as you want!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Gotta love my dealer. Manual says extreme schedule oil change is every 5000 miles. I then took my E into the dealer for an oil change. The oil change department said I need to come back in 3000 miles to protect my E. Yeah right they have my best interests at heart. How about they want to maximize their earnings while not "huring" the E. But are they really helping? Does changing the oil every 3000 miles vs. 5000 miles offer real world significant improvements in protection. I think not. A fool and his money are soon seperated. Scare tactics do seem to work with some folks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im wondering why you all are taking your Elements to the dealer for an oil change in the first place? i mean I have nothing against dealers, but if I took my Nissan 300zx into Nissan for it's oil changes then I'd be paying out a little over double of what I currently pay an independant shop to change my oil.

Currently Im paying like $14.06 to have my oil changed at a little shop whereas my local nissan dealer wants over $35.00 after tax and disposal.

I say take the E to a dealer for warranty repairs and maybe services (Though if you have your services done somewhere else as long as the mechanic is a certified mechanic ) to maintain your warranty on the vehicle.

Check with Honda of America for details.

Keep your receipts for all oil changes and services.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The dealer offered a "free" oil change when I bought the E. I was just taking them up on their "free" offer. I wouldn't go to the dealer unless
A: it's free
B: It's a problem no one else could figure out and/or fix.

Car dealers have fat profit margins on their service/parts department. (thats why they are usually the most expensive) They will give a 1000 reasons why they are worth it, for me they are a waste of money (unless you don't have a mechanic who you trust)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I went to a express lube/jiffy lube type place and they couldn't find the correct filter, but they were willing to try another in it's place to "see" if it worked. I said thanks, but no. My dealer changers 19.95 and they have better coffee.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Doesn't anybody change the oil themselves? I haven't gotten my E yet but it can't be harder to change the oil than it is on my Miata, where you have to remove the passenger side front wheel to get to the filter... :?:

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
[quote:f5bddec65c=" "]Doesn't anybody change the oil themselves? I haven't gotten my E yet but it can't be harder to change the oil than it is on my Miata, where you have to remove the passenger side front wheel to get to the filter... :?:[/quote:f5bddec65c]
It's a little bit of a pain in the ass...The oil spews all over a cross member and drips for a week. But I'm sure you can get the same service from a Jiffy Lube type place...If you don't mind little oil drips. I change the oil in my other cars, but not the Hondas. By the time I buy the proper filter from the dealer (parts stores don't have 'em yet), get the expensive oil and then pour all the used oil down some storm drain...It's much easier in the long run to just have my dealer do it...Have I mentioned the coffee?

·
Registered
429 Posts
My dealer was adament about waiting atleast 5k miles before changing the oil. He said the break in oil HAD to stay in the engine at least that long to do its job. He also offers a competitive price with Jiffy lube and others.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Auto stores dont have the proper filters yet????
Bogus!
I use the purulator pure one filter the number is PL14610
Pep Boys has em for $4.95 which beats anywhere online by about 7 bucks.

You may also use the any of the Pep boys filters numbered 14610 all the Pep Boys filters are made by Purulator.

I believe the Pure One filter to be the best filter made anywhere and far superior to anything out there. I was a Fram fan for years (just never knew any better) and I sludged up an F-150 pretty bad twice using em.

I now use Mobile One 5w-30 or 0w-30 exclusively with the Pure One filter
I change oil at 5K because I like to do it and cant see waiting till 10K
The filter is a pain but you get good at changeing it and cleaning up, I use a liberal shot of engine degreaser after changing the filter to clean up the engine and frame components.

·
Registered
138 Posts
[quote:b3fea6be33=" "][quote:b3fea6be33=" "]Doesn't anybody change the oil themselves? I haven't gotten my E yet but it can't be harder to change the oil than it is on my Miata, where you have to remove the passenger side front wheel to get to the filter... :?:[/quote:b3fea6be33]
It's a little bit of a pain in the ass...The oil spews all over a cross member and drips for a week. But I'm sure you can get the same service from a Jiffy Lube type place...If you don't mind little oil drips. I change the oil in my other cars, but not the Hondas. By the time I buy the proper filter from the dealer (parts stores don't have 'em yet), get the expensive oil and then pour all the used oil down some storm drain...It's much easier in the long run to just have my dealer do it...Have I mentioned the coffee?[/quote:b3fea6be33]

Jiffy lube isn't an option with any of my cars. I've heard tons of horror stories of stripped oil pan plugs, the wrong filter being used, etc, etc. If anything I'd go to the dealer or my mechanic but to be honest it's easier and cheaper for me to just do it myself..especially since I use synthetic in all my vehicles.

I own 4 cars (2 work trucks, the Miata and the familymobile, which the E will be) so paying someplace to do oil changes on top of the cost of synthetic oil would be costly, to say the least...not to mention taking the time to drive there and wait for it. It takes me 5 minutes to change the oil in my trucks. The Miata is a bit of a PITA to change the oil in and I even had free oil changes for the first 3 years I owned it. The first couple of times I let the dealer do it but then I just started doing it myself and it's easier. As for the filter..For a long time I used the Mazda OEM filter because it was considered the best then they changed it and it's no better than a Purolater now so I just go to the parts store. I used to buy the Mazda filters online from a dealer out of state in batches of 12 so I'm sure you can do the same with Honda. I'll have to look into it.

It sounds like the Element suffers from the same problem my Mustang and Miata have with regards to messiness. With the Stang you had TWO drain plugs and the oil from the filter and front plug would drip down and coat the front sway bar and steering rack. The filter was at a weird angle so it was tricky.

The Miata's filter sits right over the front control arm and the belly pan which runs under the car. If you don't shove a bunch of towels underneath the filter oil will drip down and make a real mess so I have a bunch of old rags I shove underneath the filter (which sticks out horizontally). I've gotten really good at taking the filter off with barely a drip but the oil still drips from the block onto the suspension but the rags get most of it.

The worst filter set up I ever saw was on my '91 Festiva. The filter stuck out the rear of the engine and was right up against the firewall. You needed a special claw type wrench to get it off..What a mess! I usually just took it to the dealer or the garage to get it done.

I guess I'm weird. I have about 5 different sized oil wrenches in my collection (I also have a generator in one of the trucks that needs to have the oil changed as well) and I actually enjoy changing the oil. Gives me a chance to get under the car and make sure everything is as it should be. Usually I just take a day and change the oil in all the cars. I think my neighbors think I'm running a Jiffy Lube out of my house! :lol:

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you use synthetic like Mobil 1 5000 would be the minimum. I changed my own oil for awhile, then started using WalMart because they were the only ones who had Mobil 1 in stock. I stopped after I crawled under my car for something else and found that instead of using a crush washer they put the blue sludge all over the plug to seal it. I was also kind of semi-suspicious that they weren't using the Mobil 1 that I paid for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts