Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering which octane gas the Element requires?

I'm considering purchasing one, and since I drive a long way to school and back every day, gas prices are important.

Speaking of gas, I'm just wondering if the element will be able to consistently hit low-mid 20mpg with 90% city driving? I checked the other thread but didn't recieve the answer I was looking for.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to my Element owners manual it is designed to operate on unleaded gasoline with an octane of 86 or higher. They go on to recommend gasoline containing detergent additives. Hope this helps.

Keithmo

·
Registered
608 Posts
Woot,

So far, mostly city driving, I am getting just under 20 miles per gal. It is still during the breakin period, so mileage is still on the way up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. Thanks for the info.

I'll have to put some serious thought into this.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drive all around LA, and while the gas mileage was under 20 for a while untill it was broken in. The mileage then went up and has leveled of somewhere between 21-22 MPG. Its not great but its better than most SUV's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If it's gas milage you want, look at the hybrid civic. You'll get 50+ in the city. A gas/electric element would be interesting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
86 Octane and up works fine.

You can't get leaded gas in the US any more can you?

I did read on changing out the on board computer chip to increase performance if you are willing to buy higher Octane gases like 92 but that was in Civics. You often received a few more horses but I don't know if you can change out the chip in the Element.

·
Registered
55 Posts
[quote:3846ca98fd="RML"]Woot,

So far, mostly city driving, I am getting just under 20 miles per gal. It is still during the breakin period, so mileage is still on the way up.[/quote:3846ca98fd]i really hope so.. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I HEAR ITS GOOD TO JUST GO WITH 87 AND EVRY MONTH OR SO GO WITH A HIGHER OCTANE AND THEN GO BACK AFTER THAT TANK. KINDA LIKE USING GAS TREATMENT. BUT, HEY I'M NOT A MECHANIC BUT, SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA, JUST STAY CONSTANT THOUGH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a friend that will tell ya that higher octanes could lead to longer or hotter ingnition of fuel air mix and that a lower octane when recommended is indeed better because of too hot combustion could do long term damage. I have had experiance with older cars that liked the higher octane and got better milage and were fine with that but wish the manufacturer would explain the reasons for recomendations not just lay down the law.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going with higher octane than needed not only wastes money but robs you of power. Octane only is a measure of how well a fuel resists explosion. Thus if you have a really high compression engine you use high octane so you don't ping. Higher octane fuel has a lower energy density though, so if you don't need the octane to not ping then you're losing power.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The Element only needs 86 octane unleaded. Do not waste money on 93 octane super premium-you do not need it.

As far as mileage I average 22-23 in town and 24-25 hwy. My mileage has improved with getting a few thousand miles on the E. That is in a 4WD LX Auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
jedi said:
The Element only needs 86 octane unleaded. Do not waste money on 93 octane super premium-you do not need it.
This is true, realistically there should only be two octanes in the U.S. Regular 85-87 and Premium 91-93. Premium is for cars that require it and they say "premium fuel only" on the instrament panel and around the fuel cap. All others, its just a waste of money. I bet even an elimination of the middle grade would drop gas prices about 20 cents. :roll:

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Thank you Bigjimmy. The more-octane-is-better fallacy is hard to stamp out.

Use the lowest octane fuel recommended by the manufacturer, unless your engine pings. Carbon buildup can effectively increase compression ratio by a tiny bit and cause ping under some circumstances. In that case go up a grade and see. I doubt any Element will need to go up an octane grade in the first 100K.

Is leaded gas sold in any state?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts