Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I've read through the entire forum and I'm confused as to which speakers I can install in the front AND back doors of a DX without cutting or modifying the E or the speakers themselves. It seems some people have success with the Infinity 652i but it also seems some people are having to trim the speakers to make them fit in the front doors. Others have mentioned the Polk EX365. Are there some others in the same price range that I can put in WITHOUT doing any cutting or trimming or drilling? I guess I'm looking for as much of a "plug and play" option as I can find.

Also, any suggestions on what low-end headunits ($150 - $200) match best with the E's dash and guage backlights?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
Frank

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:afde03c103="rocketfly"]Maybe I'm a bit dense, but I've read through the entire forum and I'm confused as to which speakers I can install in the front AND back doors of a DX without cutting or modifying the E or the speakers themselves. It seems some people have success with the Infinity 652i but it also seems some people are having to trim the speakers to make them fit in the front doors. Others have mentioned the Polk EX365. Are there some others in the same price range that I can put in WITHOUT doing any cutting or trimming or drilling? I guess I'm looking for as much of a "plug and play" option as I can find.

Also, any suggestions on what low-end headunits ($150 - $200) match best with the E's dash and guage backlights?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
Frank[/quote:afde03c103]

For a no-nonsense approach you should consider visiting http://www.crutchfield.com. They include the proper install kits, instructions, wiring harnesses and adapters in the price of the item and have live technical support in case you have any problems. Their fit guides ensure that you will not have to cut, splice, or permantly modify your vehicle in any way.

It's hard to answer your second question since it is a subjective one but many folks in that price range seem to believe the Sony head units match the Element dash environment well.

I personally like the Clarion line of products in your price range for quality reasons. Crutchfield sells this Clarion unit for $199 and it has a feature where you can tune the display color to your dash colors. I don't know id you have an EX or not, but this unit (and most in the price range you mention) does not have independant subwoofer pre-outs. This feature is necessary if you want to continue using the factory subwoofer.

Here's the link to the unit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...s=0&cc=01&g=300&id=essential_info&i=020DXZ535

And here's a picture of it:

·
Registered
474 Posts
My Kenwood MP3 ran me $200 at Best Buy (it was a new but discontinued model)

My Infinity speakers were 5 1/4" and they fit into the speakers holes without any modifications.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote:2b3814304e="Nat"]My Infinity speakers were 5 1/4" and they fit into the speakers holes without any modifications.[/quote:2b3814304e]

And you do mean you did not have to cut the E or the speakers? Did the mounting holes line up correctly too? Can you tell me the model numbers of the Infinity speakers you have installed so I can pick some up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote:8f64ad14d4="eMass"]For a no-nonsense approach you should consider visiting http://www.crutchfield.com. They include the proper install kits, instructions, wiring harnesses and adapters in the price of the item and have live technical support in case you have any problems. Their fit guides ensure that you will not have to cut, splice, or permantly modify your vehicle in any way.[/quote:8f64ad14d4]

I checked out Crutchfield (and I've used them several times in the past with my Miata) but they do not list any speakers as being "EZ" fit. The only ones they list carry the fit code "P" meaning some cutting may be required. Do you know if they ones they say may require some cutting will fit without it? I don't mean to sound so anal, but the idea of cutting up my brand new car just does not appeal to me. :)

Also, I've recently found some speakers at "H and A" that seem to be made by Honda specifically for the E, but I wonder about their sound quality. What do you think?

Thank you again for your help!
Frank

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you go with the 5.25" sized speakers 99.9999999% of them will install into the factory opening with no modification at all.

It seems that the crack install staff at Crutchfield has not yet had the opportunity to test speakers for fit in the new(ish) Element and therefore are rating them all "P" just to cover their proverbial arses. :wink:

And on the H & A website I believe that the speakers you see are the ones that go into the EX - they are made by alpine specifically for Honda and IMHO they are crap. HOWEVER - if you really want them, consider checking eBay since many folks who have replaced their EX head unit and speakers are selling them there.

Rock on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts