Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an 03 element 92k miles and i notice when i dont have music going i hear a whining noise, kind of high pitch noise. when i when i take off from a stop i hear the whining change with the RPM and gears of the motor...i cant tell if its from the motor or AT..im thinking its the AT...Is the common for the E?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
My whiny noise comes from the passenger seat:rolleyes:
Obviously, your kids are grown.;-)

Have you tried bumping the throttle while in park or N? Or maybe have someone do it when you have your head under the hood.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If its changing with the RPM its ether the enging or the converter side of the trans as if it was on the drivin side the wine will change with speed of the vehicle. Without seeing it it could be anything. Does it make the same noise in park or neutral? if so check around the drive belt on the engine.

·
Registered
662 Posts
No, my only whiny noise comes from the person sitting in the passenger seat. When they aren't in the car, it miraculously cures itself:lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no it doesn't make any noise while in park or neutral, it only makes the noise when i take off from a stop i hear the noise from 0 to maybe 30 so like 1st gear to 2nd gear maybe 3rd..the noise disappears after im driving faster than 30mphs or so

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I'd change the drive belt. (Or have it done:smile:) It's a maintenance item coming up in the next 10 or 20,000 miles anyway and then you can rule that out.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
no it doesn't make any noise while in park or neutral, it only makes the noise when i take off from a stop i hear the noise from 0 to maybe 30 so like 1st gear to 2nd gear maybe 3rd..the noise disappears after im driving faster than 30mphs or so
But does it go with the RPM of the engine or as the car speeds up. Other words do you hear the noise lower every time the car shifts or does it just slowly increase with the speed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes the noise lowers every time the car shifts. but also when i leave for work and the car has sat over night the 1 and 2 gear seem not to shift smoothly it seems to stay in the 1st and 2nd gear longer than the 3rd and 4th but as it warm up it i dont feel that shift but the noise is still there.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Have you done the rear end lately?
(your laugh here)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
yes the noise lowers every time the car shifts. but also when i leave for work and the car has sat over night the 1 and 2 gear seem not to shift smoothly it seems to stay in the 1st and 2nd gear longer than the 3rd and 4th but as it warm up it i dont feel that shift but the noise is still there.
So its ether coming from the engine or the front side of the transmission. Now the fun starts. trying to find excactly where it is coming from.. The other thing that will cause a whine is the power steering pump. Check the fluid level.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I find it suspicious that you are hearing this whine when you just recently changed the diff fluid (300 miles ago). I agree with previous posts that the problem is most likely "upstream" of the tranny, but I'm wondering what other work you did (or had someone do) when you changed the rear diff fluid. Maybe some work in the engine compartment wasn't done correctly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too!

I searched on this forum for this identical issue. 03 E with 92000 miles but I have not done the rear end yet. I guess I will get that 90000 mile service done at the dealer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How about a transmition fiuid change, did you do that yet ? I did ming when I replaced the rear diff fluid at 30000. A bit early for the transmition but that's just me. ( It's real simple if you read the how to's on it in the F&Q section)

·
Registered
873 Posts
I found that most of the wining in my E is coming from the pass seat( mostly what's sitten in it) hope this helps:lol:.althow it didn't help me:grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts