Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Element, and at the end of Sept I took it in to the dealership for battery issues. I wasn't having any other issues, but they found multiple other issues, which I had them fix.
Since I got the car back (it's been 23 days) my husband and I have been hearing a low whining/whirring noise, and on hard acceleration it slows down a lot or barely responds. At a medium speed it feels like the timing is off -- it slips a little between gears, more noticeable in the morning when it's cool.
Is it possible something they "fixed" could be causing these problems?

Here's what they did:
  • Replaced battery (under warranty)
  • Fixed top transmission mount
  • Resealed timing chain cover (Oil seal, O-Ring, Chain Case O-Ring)
  • Resealed oil pan
  • Replaced Power Steering pressure & return hoses (added Steering fluid)
  • Replace Vtec spool valve solenoid (Valve assy, spool, filter assy)
The whining and acceleration problems weren't happening until I got it back from the dealership.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It’s possible they botched the spool valve which would rob power.

When do you hear the whining sound? They had to take a lot of parts off to reseal the timing cover so they perhaps damaged a bearing in the process.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whining sound happens when I'm driving the car. As it warms up, it seems to go away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s possible they botched the spool valve which would rob power.

When do you hear the whining sound? They had to take a lot of parts off to reseal the timing cover so they perhaps damaged a bearing in the process.
Thank you. I'll see if I can get the dealership to look into spool valve. They claim they can't duplicate the problem. I got the car back last night, and where it was hesitating before, it is now shuttering (running smooth, a slight shutter, then running smooth again).
They're saying the whining is a counter shaft barring in the transmission. However, that sound wasn't there prior to taking the car in for repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you. I'll see if I can get the dealership to look into spool valve. They claim they can't duplicate the problem. I got the car back last night, and where it was hesitating before, it is now shuttering (running smooth, a slight shutter, then running smooth again).
They're saying the whining is a counter shaft barring in the transmission. However, that sound wasn't there prior to taking the car in for repair.
What speed are you traveling when you get the shutter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What speed are you traveling when you get the shutter? I have fixed the “shutter” that comes between 40 and 50 mph by doing a transmission fluid drain and fill. Make sure only Honda Brand transmission fluid is used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could be the power steering whining. Was the power steering leaking before they changed the hoses?
My E whines, it is from the transmission, especially when it is in Park and neutral.
I believe is is the idler gear that is making my noise.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What speed are you traveling when you get the shutter? I have fixed the “shutter” that comes between 40 and 50 mph by doing a transmission fluid drain and fill. Make sure only Honda Brand transmission fluid is used.
It's happening at various speeds, 25mph; 30mph; 35mph; 40mph. At higher speeds, on the hwy it isn't that big of a problem. Aside from the shutter, in stop and go traffic, or just driving on side streets, periodically the tachometer will rev up (jumping from 2000 to 7000), when I step on the gas, but there's no acceleration.
The whining noise is reportedly a counter shaft barring in the transmission. Talking to the dealership mechanic, while driving him around, and trying to get the car to repeat the problem while he was in the car, he said that draining the fluid would probably make the problem worse at this point, as worn bits of the transmission are actually holding it together at this point.

I'm mad that no issue with my car having dirty transmission fluid was brought up during the multi-point inspections in the past. Also, wondering why the transmission problem wasn't happening until this last round of service. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a conclusion to whining and hard acceleration. Turns out it definitely is the transmission. While getting the E diagnosed, everyone was in agreement the the whining was coming from the trans, completely unrelated to the service I just received. The shutter continued to get worse, and trans was neutralizing (not going into gear) when I stepped on the gas, and as I put it in reverse to park, and get out of traffic, I heard a thunk! Unfortunately, after doing the last set of expensive repairs my 192k transmission decided to call it quits.
As it turns out there are quite a few options for trans repair: Remanufactured Trans; Used Reconditioned Trans (from another car); and Rebuild/Recondition trans (from my car). Since it seems like my trans is rebuildable, I've decided with this option. It's affordable, and I think I've found an independent mechanic I like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts