Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Honda Element 4WD. As I accelerate or decelerate between about 15 mph and 45 mph, I hear a distinct whirling noise that is clearly in rhythm with the rotation of the tires--as they rotate faster, the noise "winds up" faster. I have Yokohama Geolanders, and from what I have read online many people with the same tires are complaining about tire whine. It does not sound anything like a bad bearing, or at least what I have always experienced a bad bearing to sound like (i.e. marble in a tin can kind of noise), nor is it the classic crusted over rear diff fluid that causes a grinding noise when turning (I have already taken care of that once). The only thing I can think of is that it is tire whine. My only concern is that, if it is not tire whine, it might be related to the rear diff and therefore should be taken care of sooner rather than later.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Fill in your profile when you get a chance as it helps others to help you. Auto or Manual trans?? Try rotating the tires and see if the sound changes. I have the same thing in mine but it came from a bad shift witch stressed the front ring gear and it whines lightly now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slimmerdogs: It is a manual transmission. But the sound does not seem to be affected by RPMs. It is speed that seems to dictate it. If I am going 40mph with the vehicle in neutral, it makes the same sound. And as I come to a stop in neutral, it is exactly the same. As far as I can tell, symptomatically at least, it doesn't seem to be related to my transmission.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cupped tires

I've had a couple sets of tires (on different cars, my Outback and Accord) become "cupped" for whatever reason and they made the exact noise you describe: a "whirling" or "scrubbing" sound that changed pitch as the car sped up or slowed down. The sound was infuriating, and in both cases the tires became cupped in spite of proper alignment and inflation. Looking at the treads, you could visibly see some feathering in the wear pattern, but it didn't look serious and certainly didn't "look" like it could cause that noise. New tires solved the problem for me both times.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts