Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have everything in but the 6.75 woofers in the door. right now just left the polk db 6.5s in place. I understand the plastic will need to be cut but not sure they will fit with out either hitting the window, or needing to cut the metal in the door. Anyone installed these and can show pictures of how much to cut, etc? I did a couple of quick searches and saw that Dance Til you drop might have them but he hasn't responded yet. Anyone else got these.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I didn't have to cut anything to install the polks in my sig. I did however have to mount them upside down to keep the leads from shorting on the chassis. IMO it makes more sense to get the right speakers than to cut.

Happy modding.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i wouldnt be suprised if you did as i had to do some modifying to get the kappa components in my doors and the last set of momos i did i remember having a bigger magnet and basket then the kappas did.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
worried they might be too big and won't fit even if I cut out the plastic. I guess another solution would be to mount them external of the stock grill. but was hoping to get them back behind the grill. huge magnet btw.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Polk/MOMO Championship Performance car audio speakers are engineered by Polk Audio with ultra high-tech materials for competition-level performance and durability. They're styled exclusively by MOMO, the world's preeminent designer of racing accessories, to look as good as they sound. And for motor sports enthusiasts the world over, a MOMO product is a charismatic symbol of the finest quality.

When you consider your car an extension of your personality, Polk Audio/MOMO High Performance Car Audio is the perfect synthesis of technology and design.

You'll say, Whoa, that's a cool speaker when you hear the new MM6 6.5" 2-way component system. Housed in a show off cast aluminum basket, it features a poly/mica composite cone, airtight Butyl rubber surround and flat Conex spider for more than torture-proof durability; you'll hear rock solid mid-bass response and lifelike midrange detail, all pouring forth through the unique "billet-style" open grille. And the highs...clean, clear and uterly free of harshness and distortion. Polk/MOMO is built tough and backed by a powerful three year Parts and Labor warranty.
_______________________________________________-
AC Parts Search
importing cars to canada
so you got them to fit?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been running a set of polk db6501 in the pocket where the momo mm6's would go in the front door (hopefully some day). I have recently rediscovered the itch to do this since one of the polk db6501 had a torn rubber surround (I pulled it from my brothers car this way). So now the tear is bad enough I have been exploring putting the unused new polk momo mm6's (6.75" with very large basket and magnet) in the door. they are huge. There is no way to mount these without either major modification to the door, or building them out with mdf rings and making a custom speaker grill. By major modification I would need to cut a 6" hole in the SHEET METAL of the door to make these fit. It looks like I can cut the 6" hole through the plastic, and the metal and the door is deep enough. I have yet to check if there is any problems with the window down. I don't think there should be but want to double check. I have the hole saw but have some nervousness before I cut. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone have a good solution for a speaker grill that would work? I would assume I need to fiberglass something which would be a new experience for me. The local car installer is of no help. Not sure why I bothered and I will not go to best buy to figure this out. So I am on my own. Looking for experience out there with this, or brainstorming on ideas. I wold buy new polk db6501's but I don't want to do so until I have at least made some attempt at installing the momo speakers.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have Phoenix Gold Xenon 6.5's in the front which are huge (& also 6.75") and they were a tight fit & required a decent amount of modification.

I cut a lot of the plastic out and made a 3/4" MDF baffle. I had to cut a decent amount of the door metal too because the basket was so large & would not fit into the opening at all. They do not touch the glass at all, & I was also able to easily reinstall the oem speaker grill too.

Use an air saw or dremel to cut out the metal, not a hole saw. Make a baffle out of MDF for the speaker, and use that to trace a cutout line on the door metal with a magic marker. You will probably need to enlarge the speaker hole about an inch at the most, also make sure to have the windows up when cutting. lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
excellent....have any pics?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Your best bet is to reinforce the grill panel and mount them there since a replacement grill is $10 ish. Believe it or not the OEM grill will bury a lot of the sound. Then you can mount the tweeters just above the mids.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might do some exploratory surgery next weekend. bought a couple of new metal cutting bits for my dremel. Any pics of the setup options would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Just remember that if you cut the plastic basket/shield thing that you need something to protect the speakers from water that's going to be running down from outside the window, otherwise your speakers will be wrecked within a couple of years.

Crutchfield sells foam baffles that work great for this. And they're cheap.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-njx7ZIVmpkn/g_762/Foam-Speaker-Baffles.html

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I don't see why you would need to cut metal. The metal hole behind the plastic is huge.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The hole in the sheet metal is not huge, but the biggest issue is the hole is not round.
It is oval with notches on the bottom that protrude inward, and for my install they prevented the magnet & basket from even fitting there. I had to open up the hole a little & actually make it round.

I dont have any pics, but can probably take some this week.
I did nothing about moisture damage other than painting the MDF baffles, and while it doesnt rain here often I do wash the car quite often. Have yet to see any signs of water hitting the speakers or baffle. There are cheaper alternatives than the foam XTC baffles too, those are a waste of money. Although you can buy a pair, cut them in half, and now you have 4 speaker umbrellas. More often than not having them "seal" the backend of the speaker makes them sound horrible, and usually need to be sliced open anyway to get midbass back.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have MB Quart coaxials in each door so I'm familiar with the hole. It flattens out on the bottom because there is a reinforcement bar running along the inner door skin. If you go to cardomain and search for elements you'll see a few high end installs where the midbass is munted on the door panel.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I dont know about that, because the majority of sheet metal I cut was from that flat portion and I do not recall any reinforcement bar or brace anywhere in that specific area, much less close enough to necessitate the odd speaker hole opening shape.

High end installs on the door panel are typically built as an enclosure, where there is a specified internal volume & sealed, or done to provide better woofer positioning & aiming, OR there is always those that do **** purely for cosmetic reasons and has no bearing on sound quality or install restrictions. All I know is from my first hand experience, and I did not have any issues cutting & placing the huge woofers I did.
I am actually considering upgrading later on to an 8" midbass in the door, but door panel modification will be required to make it look right.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not feeling brave lately. I found a pair of polk dxi6500 woofers on ebay. Quick easy fix no cutting. For fun I will take a pic of all three side by side when they show up.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

above ... left to right, Polk db, polk dxi, polk momo mm6, reversed below.

dxi installed (got them for 50 bucks used). MM6 was just too large for me to get the courage to cut that much. maybe later.

dxi is an upgrade on sound over the db. a little clearer, but not much difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts