Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was loading the passenger side of the sar with clothes for tonight's dance, I put my shoes on top of the car.

I drove into the lot at work with a remarkable number of stares and smiles. The shoes were still there after 18 miles -much of it at 80 miles per hour! Beyond that it was a drissly day... and they weren't wet!

Here is my best guess:

The front half of the roof sees no wind, at least in the front to back direction. The windshield is so steep the air just shoots up in a rooster tail there only to come back down somewhere on the back half of the roof...

The shoes were dry because the rooster tail is dry. All the water gets splatted out of the rooster tail as it is created by the windshiled. The rooster tail blows any rain that might fall on the shoes up and away.

Amazing,.. but is it useful? I don't know.

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm...interesting.

I've been thinking about wind force over the roof alot lately, as I am currently making an EXTERIOR skylight screen (I couldn't bring myself to order Honda's interior version). Haven't searched the board to see if anyone else has tried this yet, so my apologies if this subject has already been tackled.

It's very "lo-tech" -- just a piece of black fiberglass screening (2'6" x 3') sandwiched between double layers sticky-back magnetic stripping around the edges. Not sure the 2nd layer of magnetic stripping is benefitting anything, other than making it more weighty and it being easier to attach to the screen material (sticky sides together). I left 1/8" gaps in the stripping at the midpoints of each side, so I can fold it into quadrants for storage (conceding the possibility a bug or two will find their way in). I will also have to deal with the wind deflector that pops up when the skylight is out -- I could devise a simple clamp to hold it down and out of the way, but i think I'll ultimately end up just cutting a slit in the screen for it to pop through.

Now, I originally figured it would only be good for parked use (camping was my motivation). I'm sure it would be fine for city traffic, but I've always assumed I'd never see it again If I took it out on the open road. In fact I had a nightmare where it flew off at 70 mph and landed on the windshield of some unassuming poor soul behind me...spooking them enough to lose control and die in a "what-are-the-odds" kinda way -- incarceration would undoubtedly insue.

But now I'm really curious: any aerospace engineers out there want to throw in their 2 cents? If shoes can withstand the "breeze", then I'm thinking my lil' contraption with it's magnetic pull (albeit low strength pull -- didn't want to mess with "rare earth" types magnets) and flat profile will fair pretty well. Anyone try a similar approach?

note: I currently have a honda roof rack installed, but it's not holding anything at the moment. I'm not sure if the disruption of airflow caused by the rack will help or hinder.

·
Registered
79 Posts
[quote:1dde7ef633="SheeKawgO"]I'm sure it would be fine for city traffic, but I've always assumed I'd never see it again If I took it out on the open road. In fact I had a nightmare where it flew off at 70 mph and landed on the windshield of some unassuming poor soul behind me...spooking them enough to lose control and die in a "what-are-the-odds" kinda way -- incarceration would undoubtedly insue.[/quote:1dde7ef633]

Wow, I have that exact same dream except in my dream, my $2k mountain bike flys off my bike rack as I scream down the highway doing 70 mph. Some poor soul behind me hits my bike and it causes their car to lose control. The dream has made me paranoid whenever I get on the highway with my bike on the roof. A warning, whatever you do, don't tailgate the guy with the SOP Element with the yellow bike on the roof. It makes him nervous.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You asked for aerospace engineers not nuclear physicists or rocket scientists.

Here is what to do:

1) Decide that airflow is symetric over your vehicle since your vehicle is symetric... except in cross winds!

2) Tie three bandannas of different colors on each of the cross beams of the roof rack. Start at the middle and work toward one side.

3) Get someone with a taller vehicle to ride along beside you at different speeds while recording the direction the bandannas stream.

There should be some speed where the one in the center of the front cross beam streams forward! I don't know what that speed is... can you see this through the sunroof ???

4) Use a fail safe lifeline to tie the external sunshade to the roof rack pedestal. Cover this line with clear plasitc tape.

Good Luck! (A universal disclaimer)

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts