Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was at a local Honda Dealership getting some maintenance work completed. After talking to one of the sales people and telling him about the Forever Black for the plastic panels, he told me the Dealership has been using BLACK SHOE POLISH, for years, to restore bumpers and trims to a rich black.

Has anyone ever tried this? The salesperson said that it also acts as a wax and doesn't bleed. I haven't tried it, but my cartridge of black shoe polish is calling my name.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
TheRealOne said:
Last night I was at a local Honda Dealership getting some maintenance work completed. After talking to one of the sales people and telling him about the Forever Black for the plastic panels, he told me the Dealership has been using BLACK SHOE POLISH, for years, to restore bumpers and trims to a rich black.

Has anyone ever tried this? The salesperson said that it also acts as a wax and doesn't bleed. I haven't tried it, but my cartridge of black shoe polish is calling my name.
i would assume that you have to reappy it from time to time? i have heard that some boat owners restore faded fiberglass with shoe polish. don't know if this is true.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I bet it would work. Kiwi polish would give it a brilliant black shine, and is waterproof too! It sure would take a long time crouching around the car with a cotton ball or old sock to give it a real military spit-shine though!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Flobox said:
I bet it would work. Kiwi polish would give it a brilliant black shine, and is waterproof too! It sure would take a long time crouching around the car with a cotton ball or old sock to give it a real military spit-shine though!
LOL! I am so glad I don't have to shine boots anymore. We get to wear our desert boots.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I can see the shoe polish working on BLACK trim but not gray plastic. Besides, it's still only a dressing and not a permanent/semi-permanent dye.

You wouldn't put black polish on gray shoes would you?

·
Registered
870 Posts
it would wipe off as soon as you touch it. sounds very messy to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MTP said:
it would wipe off as soon as you touch it. sounds very messy to me.
If that were true, people wouldn't shine their shoes. Of course excess would need to be removed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Empire said:
You wouldn't put black polish on gray shoes would you?
Yes I would! Seriously though, I'm not sure how long it would last. I'm sure black shoe polish has a black dye within that would stain dark gray/black plastic (such as the 2003 EX) and/or rubber. As for light gray, you're probably right, Empire. Nevertheless, I think I will try to polish a bit of the light gray plastic around the upper grill, just to see how it might look. If it looks terrible, some cleaner and elbow grease should be able to remove it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All right, so I tried some black shoe polish on 2 areas that were hidden under the hood. One area contained the silver-looking plastic, the other area contained the dark gray plastic. Needless to say, I will not try to shoe polish the rest of the vehicle.

Now, I didn't try a lot, but it didn't really seem to be absorbing into the plastic when I tried to apply it with a cotton rag. Perhaps I should have placed a chunk of shoe polish on it and smashed it down to try to apply it, but I have some Forever Black on the way and didn't want to risk a big mess at this point. And, I didn't want to waste my shoe polish.

The morale of the story: Use shoe polish on shoes.

Bet you didn't already know that one.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
TheRealOne said:
All right, so I tried some black shoe polish on 2 areas that were hidden under the hood. One area contained the silver-looking plastic, the other area contained the dark gray plastic. Needless to say, I will not try to shoe polish the rest of the vehicle.

Now, I didn't try a lot, but it didn't really seem to be absorbing into the plastic when I tried to apply it with a cotton rag. Perhaps I should have placed a chunk of shoe polish on it and smashed it down to try to apply it, but I have some Forever Black on the way and didn't want to risk a big mess at this point. And, I didn't want to waste my shoe polish.

The morale of the story: Use shoe polish on shoes.

Bet you didn't already know that one.
maybe they meant liquid shoe polish.

·
Registered
870 Posts
TheRealOne said:
If that were true, people wouldn't shine their shoes. Of course excess would need to be removed.
yes they would and many are required to (military anyone).
Thats why they do not want anyone to scuff there shoes/boots and they usaully have a set polished just for inspections to keep them perfect.

Shoe polish only last a few weeks if your lucky on shoes/boots.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MTP said:
yes they would and many are required to (military anyone).
Thats why they do not want anyone to scuff there shoes/boots and they usaully have a set polished just for inspections to keep them perfect.

Shoe polish only last a few weeks if your lucky on shoes/boots.
That's like comparing a paint job on tires to the paint job on the body of the vehicle. How often do shoes and boots bang up against random things? How often does the body of your vehicle bang up against random things? If the answers were the same, Dent Wizard would make billions of dollars per year. Take some nice dress shoes and touch a white shirt to it. If the shoes are properly polished, the shirt will still be white.

Funny, I wear polished shoes everyday, and yet I don't have the need to polish them every few weeks, and they still look great. Maybe my shoe polish is magic shoe polish. Maybe the laws of chemistry don't apply to my shoe polish. Maybe I got my shoe polish from the same person that sold Jack his beanstalk beans.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think the whole thought is that the polish is typically used to dress up the surface of faded BLACK bumpers and trim. It's basically similar to Back to Black. It's a glosser used to restore and add luster to the faded or scuffed black surface underneath.

Forever Black however, is used to dye the actual surface so it's once again black. Tho it's designed specifically for black plastic, it can darken other colors such as the EX gray panels to give them an almost black appearance.

As was mentioned the black polish will not work wonders for the gray panels, but I bet it would spruce up the mirror housings or door handles.

I however wanted a more industrial looking black panel so I coated all of mine with Herculiner.
A bit over the top but it does provide basically a no maintenance and scratch/scuff resistant surface.
I recently applied the Herculiner UV Topcoat Protectant to all the surfaces and it keeps it looking shiny new.
Now that stuff might be used on gray panels but I'm not sure how it would hold up. It is tho UV resistant so a far less chance of fading.
It's made to be coated over any faded bed lined surface to restore it back to a glossy black finish as it was when first applied.
But it does recommend scuffing the surface for best adherence. Scuffing the Herculined surface is easy enuff as it won't really show thru but the bare gray plastic....well, I'm just not sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts

tried all sorts of things ( car wax, coconut oil, mineral oil, baby oil, car waxes, tire black) & so far shoe polish gave best result

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's like comparing a paint job on tires to the paint job on the body of the vehicle. How often do shoes and boots bang up against random things? How often does the body of your vehicle bang up against random things? If the answers were the same, Dent Wizard would make billions of dollars per year. Take some nice dress shoes and touch a white shirt to it. If the shoes are properly polished, the shirt will still be white.

Funny, I wear polished shoes everyday, and yet I don't have the need to polish them every few weeks, and they still look great. Maybe my shoe polish is magic shoe polish. Maybe the laws of chemistry don't apply to my shoe polish. Maybe I got my shoe polish from the same person that sold Jack his beanstalk beans.
Hahaha...it is working for me...thought I had an original idea...lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts