Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined this forum because I'm getting tired of some of the service issues, namely brakes and headlight switches.:x
I moved to Muskoka from southern California four years ago with my 2005 Honda Element EX 4WD. I now have 68,000 miles on it.
My headlight switch died last January and now only the high beams work. The little dash lights behind the heater controls don't light up. And, the most troublesome of all, my brake rotors are covered with heavy rust and are badly pitted and I had a complete brake job two years ago. Now I need four new rotors and pads. I know the winter and the salt wreak havoc on bare metal but why my rotors? I look at other cars and trucks and their rotors are nice and shiny where the pads touch but not mine. I can't afford to pay for another complete brake job so I've ordered new pads and rotors from Napa and plan to change them myself. I'm quite mechanical so I'm hoping it won't be too bad a job. I'm just doing the rears first since they're the worst. Can anyone direct me to some photos or instructions on how to change the rotors? I've done pads so that shouldn't be tough.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
:lol:

first of all what you had done wrong is move from Southern california to mid-ontario

i am sure someone would help u here

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
since you know how to replace the pads, just carry on removing the caliper bracket. once thats done, there should be a small screw holding in the rotor, pop that off, replace and install.

·
Registered
203 Posts
They shouldn't be rusty or pitted if the calipers are clamping down properly. Check to make sure the calipers are moving freely. Some aftermarket rotors are better than others and rusting is an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts