Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work this morning listening to a CD (fairly loud), and the stereo just cut out like a switch! (but the radio display looks normal) I tried the AM and FM -- nothing there either. Once I got to work, I listened a little more carefully and realized the subwoofer is still working. But the other 6 speakers are dead!

THIS SUCKS! What happened? I've got to take my 2-week-old E in this weekend to try and diagnose why the steering pulls to the right, so now I can add the radio to the list.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? All I can think of is the amp. Didn't someone say it has a level-sensing circuit to turn on automatically when output from the head unit is present? But the subwoofer plays, so I don't know if this makes sense.

Also, if it makes any difference, I just finished my retrofit of Infinity 652i speaker a couple of nights ago, using the Crutchfield wire harness.

I NEVER had anything like this happen in 11+ years of driving my Civic. I'm really disappointed. :evil:

-Tom

·
Registered
195 Posts
If all 6 cut out at once, I'd say either the amp cut out (the sub is likely on it's own circuit because it needs more juice) or a cable popped loose.

Drew

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:

I decided to pull out the aftermarket speakers to make sure they were not the problem. I pulled out the rears first and re-checked -- I had my sound back! Like a dummy, I had forgotten to re-check BEFORE I did anything (since the car had now sat overnight).

So either it fixed itself overnight (possible thermal problem?), or the rear speakers were the problem. I ohmed out the rears and they were both 3.6 ohms. No problem there. I plugged them in again without re-mounting, and everything was still OK. Hmmm.

So I looked for possible shorts, and all I could think of was the little piece of the metal door frame that is visible in the speaker basket cutout. I covered this with electrical tape, then reinstalled everything as before.

Everything sounds fine again. I will have to keep my eyes on this problem. :?

Comments, anyone?

-Tom

·
Registered
42 Posts
It sounds like the problem I'm having with my Sony 3-ways that I have been trying to get to work for the last week. When I installed them, they worked fine, after a while everything died except the subwoofer. I have narrowed it down to the speaker terminals touching the frame of the car and shorting. Specifically in the back, the bottom edge of the speaker opening has the door frame sticking out.

I tied putting electrical tape over it, but the terminals rip through it. As far as I can see my best soulution is to mount the speaker with ther terminals pointed in any direction but down, which requires a dremel... so I'm still trying to find a way to make it work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK then, this seems to confirm my suspicion that shorts between the speaker and the metal door frame can cause the same symptoms I saw (all speakers dead except subwoofer). Thanks for the data point, inspiron.

I don't think I'm getting the same degree of contact as you are, though. I didn't see any scratches in the metal when I pulled the speakers out. I'll have to wait and see if the electrical tape fix works for me. There is not a lot of room to spare with a 6.5" speaker installed.

Do you have the option of bending your terminals so they point toward the magnet (i.e. point out toward the exterior of the vehicle when installed)? If not, then the Dremel sounds like your best best. It looks like the hole can be enlarged a good bit and still give shielding from water. Better than the olden days, when I had to use a jig saw to cut away door frame metal on my crappy Monza.

·
Registered
42 Posts
[quote:48cf189a93="TomB"]Do you have the option of bending your terminals so they point toward the magnet (i.e. point out toward the exterior of the vehicle when installed)? [/quote:48cf189a93]

I tried bending the terminals and it makes the speaker settle in the opening better, which in turn allows the wires leading from the terminals to the cone touch the frame... I ran out of electrica tape, so I haven't tried it again with the terminals bent and the frame covered, but thats next on my list.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I got some electrical tape, covered the frame, bent the terminals, and the speakers work great. Problem Solved.

-Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts