Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything from burning brakes, bad tires and now....

The wobble!

I am getting a vibration of the whole car when I get about 35-40 MPH it happens for 3-5 seconds and stops. It does not happen if starting off a stop light or dead stop. Only when driving down a road for a few moments it happens.
When the engine is idle, it is fine. Even if I rev the engine to 3K RPMS with no problems. My brakes are new and the calipers too, I just got new tires and went back to my original 16" rims. I have no clue what it may be???

Someone said engine mount, possibly transmission. I have no clue?
Fuel filter, belts...I don't know and how to figure that one out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same problem in my Civic, it ended up being low pressure in one of the tires. Can only hope your answer is as simple as mine was.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tires are 3 days new. Brand new and factor sized.

Today I had driven around and it happened about 4-5 times in a 20 mile drive. I don't think it is the steering linkage. When it happened I tried to wiggle the steering wheel and no fix. Then tried hitting the overdrive button next attempt. Car downshifts and it stops right away, turn it back off and driving is normal again. I was thinking it is a alignment issue but, I don't feel it coming from any certain corner or which way the car vibrates. it is so bad, it would shake off a cup off the dash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm voting for tire balance, especially if it started after getting the new tires. If you have two out of balance, they will really vibrate for a few seconds when in sync with each other then lessen as they get out of phase. Just a theory.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You could have a bad bearing or XYZ! Don't take a chance on making it worse. Take it in to a repair shop and if you have to let the mechanic take to for a few days to drive. I have had calipers lock up on my wifes car and it cost more money because we waited.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do a search for "torque converter shudder"

Looks like several reports of this problem after a trans fluid change was performed, and the Honda fluid was not used!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am thinking it something in the trans.
I changed the fluid out about 4000 miles ago. I used the right type of fluid and even did a double fluid change since it was a long time coming.
The vibration was happening with the old tires too. I thought the old tires were the issue until they got changed from a 18" rim street racing tire to the 16" stock standard.
The car has 108000 miles.

·
Registered
178 Posts
From the speed range of 35-40mph I would say without a doubt you are having torque shudder. Try changing your fluid with only oem honda fluid and if the problem is still slightly there just add roughly 2-3 ounces of an HFM tranny additive to the tranny and drive it 50 miles. (HFM = High Friction Modifier and if you drive Honda's it is important to learn how important this is.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have come down to what it really is.
If I press the "overdrive off" button problem goes away. I don't want to drive over 40 MPH in 3rd gear though at 2500 RPMs everywhere. If I go on the expressway and turn it back on, it's fine. I am sure that I need to change that trans oil again.

Adding the HFM for a few ounces? Never heard of the product and WHY is it important for Honda's? Something I am missing here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue

My 07 does what sounds like the same thing. I've tried the OD fix and it seems to work as well. About to the point where I'm just going to take it in for server and see what they find. Nice that it just passed 3/36..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts