Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pics?

How about posting some pictures of the blown strut(s)? How much are they leaking fluid?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
44,000 miles
I was told when I replaced my tires at Sears that they were blown (struts). I confirmed it at a Honda dealer.
That info is very helpfull. I guess if Sears and the dealer both tell you you need new struts....you might. Be sure to check out this thread It has some good info about struts (and shocks).

Some people only get 50k miles (or less) out of 'em, others get over 100k miles. Sometimes it is driving conditions or even driving styles that cause the failure. Sometimes it is just junk quality components.

I haven't seen an excessive amount of failures here on the EOC. While there are a few reports of it, it doesn't seem to be a common problem among members.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Is it just me? I've never had to replace a strut on a foreign car. I've been told I needed them a few times, though.

I took a Subaru in for some tires and got it back shaking like crazy. When I took it back, the service manager said I needed new brake rotors. I told him to try again, I wasn't complaining about shaking while braking. Then, he tells me I need new struts. I ask him how he new that because there was no fluid leakage as he is pointing them to me. He said the vehicle has over 200K miles on it so it MUST need them by now. I described his character flaw to him and went to another shop where they found all four tires out of balance by over 1 ounce. The struts were still strutting :grin: when I sold the car at 300K.

Back to the subject, take some pictures for us----I find it hard to believe you could need them already. Honda makes some good stuff. ;-)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My rears were replaced under warranty at 23,??? Miles because I probably screwed them up autocrossing, so I agree its all drving style and habbits, my fronts are already going bad too, I am very hard on my cars, brakes were replaced at 22k miles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That info is very helpfull. I guess if Sears and the dealer both tell you you need new struts....you might. Be sure to check out this thread It has some good info about struts (and shocks).

Some people only get 50k miles (or less) out of 'em, others get over 100k miles. Sometimes it is driving conditions or even driving styles that cause the failure. Sometimes it is just junk quality components.

I haven't seen an excessive amount of failures here on the EOC. While there are a few reports of it, it doesn't seem to be a common problem among members.
Just normal driving conditions. No off road but..............my daughter has been driving it who just got her license??? Scared. Thanks for everyones help. Im communicating with Honda customer service right now. I will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
872 Posts
you might want to clean the struts real good with soap&watter to remove the oil. then drive for a week to see if they are actuly leaking ,or if the shop squirted oil on them to sell a set of struts. money is tight & most of the tech guys get paid from the job,no work no pay. I have seen this befor.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thats why I said probably, because they were noticed afterwards,, it definatley didnt help autocrossing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm on original struts at 96k on my '05.

I would not worry unless the car is exhibiting symptoms.

They usually come on very gradually, unless there's a catastrophic failure - blown seal, etc.

I've found the first symptom is a subtle "pogo-ing" on bridge expansion joints. IOW, it gets just a bit "bouncy" and takes a few cycles to settle back down.

Mine is just barely and subtly starting to do that, but I'm in no rush to throw money at it right now.

Another way to check is to push down on each corner of the car - each should spring back up, then down, then stop after one cycle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you might want to clean the struts real good with soap&watter to remove the oil. then drive for a week to see if they are actuly leaking ,or if the shop squirted oil on them to sell a set of struts. money is tight & most of the tech guys get paid from the job,no work no pay. I have seen this befor.
Scary thought!

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,693 Posts
And this all started at Sears.... Definitely clean them and drive it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is this common?:-(
Warranty replaced mine at 55K. I had to have the honda service guy ride with me so that I could point out the noise. The clunk over bumps. He knew what it was and said they have since "beefed them up" so hopefully they will last a bit longer this time.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I contacted KYB awhile back and was told that the OEM struts are internally all the same. while honda beefed up the springs on the sc to be stiffer the dampening rate is the same as the ex. You can buy the KYB GR2 that is supposedly 10-15% stiffer than OEM. I think the heavy spring rate would cause the strut to go out faster than on the non SC models. Kinda the same issue people would have when they go to lowering springs with higher spring rates on the stock shocks. They are going to wear out faster. But I would say clean them and watch for leaks, or until you feel the drive quality is affected. and when it is don't put on OEM, get the KYB GR2's, same manufacturer as OEM, just slightly better dampening.

·
Registered
872 Posts
the back of myine does the oingoboingo thingo but the front is extreamly stiff.was like this when I got it at 63000 miles.I have a new set of kgb's for the rear but can't find my round tuit.are the front struts normaly that stiff? I weigh 199 pounds(thats my story & I am sticken 2 it) I cant hardly budge the front.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I had a new oem set put on and it was bouncy again in 10k miles. try the kyb gr2's. see if they are better or go tein basics. only options really.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today appointment for replacement struts at Honda

Is this common?:-(
I whined to Honda customer service and Honda is paying for my struts but I have to pay all the labor and for the alignment. About $390.00 verses $$685.00.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts