Honda Element Owners Club banner

Why do you love the Element? (pick one)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am now to this group, but I have been crazy about the Element since I saw the concept last year at Houston Auto Show '02. I am in desperate need of a new car this year, and the Element seems like a perfect fit. I am curious why others who bought an Element, or want to, are making this choice. Because the Element is a brand new model, I feel a little wary of it.

SO I'm setting up a poll, based on the reasons I'm considering an Element, to find out what every body loves about it, and I welcome any comments, particularly why you might have picked an Element over another comparable vehicle. I looked at dozens of models at the Auto Show, but nothing else held my attention like this weird little vehicle.

Thanks!
Rob S.
Houston

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let me count the ways:

I fell in love with the picture first. That square stubby shape and the two-tone exterior - it just grabbed my attention. I read up on it and learned it had lots of neat features. 4 wheel drive, a sky light, and seats that fold flat to make a bed for camping. (Right now, the rear seats are folded flat with a fuzzy LLB car seat cover over them, to make a bed for my dogs.) I would never have considered buying a new car with these two big dogs to haul around - except for the easy-clean no-carpet floor and the waterproof stain resistant practically indestructible seat covers. I took it for a test drive and loved the way it feels. Sturdy, rugged, responsive, plenty of pep. I love the big square side mirrors with hinges that bend in both directions - with my skills getting in and out of my narrow garage door opening, other mirrors would be ripped off the car by now. I like the big dials for the climate control -- easy to adjust without taking your eyes off the road. I like the big wide windows - great visibility in all directions. I like the high-up driving position. I especially like the tall roof and all the headroom - it feels really spacious inside.

I like practically everything about my Element. It's new and it's shiny and it's ALL MINE!!!! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wanted a small SUV, not a big monster Suburban or Expedition. Most of them, though, feel cramped inside to me. (I'm tall and long-legged). I loved the look of the Subaru Forrester until I test-drove one. Just too damned small inside. I admired the Rav-4, but the same problem. I wanted no more than four seats - I rarely carry more than one passenger, except the dogs. I really wanted rear seats that could come out entirely (I haven't taken them out yet, but I'm still happy that I could, if I wanted to). Most of the rest was icing on the cake for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm gonna buy the element because

A) Its so practical it puts everything else to shame :!:
B) Its not cute, but its not ugly :!:
C) I can afford it :!:
D) Honda has a superb reputation, they make the worlds best engines :!: and all their cars are reliable :!:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I carry a lot of stuff and some of it is quite expensive, so having all that enclosed space, at a resonable size & price, was a major factor, and anyway it does look like its straight out of Robotech.

P.S. When the seats are out the back is huge! I mean really really big, even with the seats folded up you have no idea how much room there is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I carry a lot of stuff and some of it is quite expensive, so having all that enclosed space, at a resonable size & price, was a major factor, and anyway it does look like its straight out of Robotech.

P.S. When the seats are out the back is huge! I mean really really big, even with the seats folded up you have no idea how much room there is.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
All of the above was not an option!!

I love Honda reliability, you can not beat that! Sure the resale is nice, if you can part with it! I likely will have to gnaw an arm off first!

Gas mileage, convenience, wash-ability, wicked cool looks... AND does not look like every (yawn) car out there!

I was considering the CRV, but I had reservations... i hate that fabric (ick) and it was kinda average looking overall.

I had watched the Element grow from concept car to prototype to it will be coming soon. I thought initially how ugly, then I started reading, humm how neat, how innovative, how impressive, how cool... drool....

It continued to progress from there as I read, and learned more... I had NO Reservations (being a Taurus we are slow about EVERYTHING! well most of us!) so making a decision for me on a vehicle is a process (a long one)...

Then it came to the dealer, I met the Element, I drove the Element, I was taken... it was love! The drive smooth, the head room unreal (I am a Klutz and tend to bump my head when I get in and out of cars, and I am not tall). The back wow... the room... you can have two people back there and a couple more sitting comfortably on the floor.. That much space (typically people barely have enough room for legs, and that is questionable at best). The cargo area is nice, and easy to get to! I LOVE the wash-ability... I always found carpeted interiors insane, I never quite got that.

As a kid we had an old Chevy station wagon, that was built like a tank, and the interior was completely utility only... i loved that then... the Element takes it up a peg with it being utility but comfortable and warm, i look forward to seeing how it is in the summer, the back tinted windows should help, along with the vented back windows and the screen i am getting for the sun roof! (The old Chevy was icy cold in winter and an oven in summer that was the down side)

I really can not say enough about this vehicle, the visibility is incredible (as described in a vehicle review it is like a Plasma screen TV) there are not blind spots, and maneuvering is amazing... super awesome car!

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Robotech?! I loved that show! Anyhow, I want a small but roomy, practical, fuel efficient, fun to drive vehicle! I was going to go with an Accord (nice car) but seems so boring and generic...But the Element is just so cool!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hee I agree with your (1manparty) statements.. about the roomy, pratical & fun factors of the Element!

Andyeah I was considering the CRV but it was kinda yawn.. see the is the problem Honda has, they make awesome vehicles, that last, and you really can depend on them but they have no style, they are so boring!

FINALLLY THE ELEMENT has come to save us!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Gypsy I think your right. Hopefully Honda will take more chances on design. I also have noticed Toyota (another great brand) cars are beginning to look the same or just like Lexus'. Why buy a Lexus when you can have a Camry much cheaper....Butch

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
yeah, make a more expensive line, but have the exact same thing available for less.. just choose 20K more for this name or 20K less for this name.. ugh makes you wanna scream doesn't it?

Take note of the (Acura) MDX & the (Honda) Pilot, i knew they would be the same before they started showing the Pilot.. but they really are the differences are minor really minor, but hey you have the choice to pay what is it like 10K or more! Scream!

Oh well.. guess it works huh?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had purchased a new CRV this month for my wife. I then saw the Element and even at my age 55, I liked the Concept. I purchased mine for
1) Honda Reliability
2) Gas Mileage
3) Camping
4) Hunting
5) Just having fun Driving one and having everyone look at it.
6) Hopefully, good resale value, but I don't think that I'll sell it. I traded in a Jeep Liberty for the CRV and a Dodge Dakota Truck for the Element. Those vehicles sure didn't retain alot of value in todays market.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Congrats on your Duo Honda SUV family! how cool!

Yeah the Honda's are and do hold their value amazingly well, if you can part with them. And yes it is a shame so many others drop dramatically as you drive off the lot.. I know a friend who went through heck with her Dakota.. it is a shame too, both the Dakota & Liberty have nice styling just have bad companies, and the vehicles themselves have not done well. Alas everything has a purpose!

Again CONGRATS!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for your posts GYPSYTDA:

Yea, I'm glad I got rid of my Jeep Liberty and Dakota P/U while they still had some value left. My son who sells cars in Ohio said that people bringing in the PT Cruisers for trade now are finding out what upside down means on their trade-in I sure enjoy the better gas mileage with the Hondas. I'm glad from reading all your posts that you sure are happy with your Element. I'll bet that I'll keep this Element around for a long time.
Sure is different and fun having everyone stare at you going down the highway. Cannot get used to this much attention yet. :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Dennis1: you are very welcome.. and I am glad you came back to Hondas.. they came along way baby eh?

I always keep an eye on other manufacturers for several reasons, one so i am not shortsighted, and have a universe revolving around one entity.. but it does get proven again and again how incredible Hondas are, on so many levels. I also keep an eye on them (other manufacturers), cause I am a curious person.. and am intrigued by automobiles, always have been always will be.

It is a shame that American cars do devalue so rapidly, and they do (more often than not) require being replaced so often (due to poor reliability, and so on). American vehicles have the most unique and innovative styling but they need to be more than skin deep!

Again enjoy, and keep checking things out here, there are some great minds & great ideas here.. very nice community of people!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has Honda missed part of their demographic? I'm a thirty-something always-working-mom who thought she'd died and gone to heaven when we saw, and test drove the Element...I mean could there be a better solution for hauling around my EXTREMELY messy 5 yr old and her 18 month old brother? And talk about gear??? Ask any mom about having to haul gear...sigh...But the best thing is that we won't have to be sucked into the dreary twilight zone of minivan-doom to do it! I've been resisting the purchase of another stepford vehicle and the Element has come to my rescue...And just to make it sweeter the "mom-thing" is satisfied by Honda quality and what a value! So you take the no-carpet thing and those doors (oh those doors!) and Honda should start paying attention to those of us with live cargo!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Lisak your are in very good company.. When I told all my mommy friends I thought they would drool when I described the interior.. they all agreed this sounded like the PERFECT MOMMY MOBILE! Heck washable anything falls in mommy category!

There are other peoples here with young'ens soo youare really in the right zone!

Yeah I think it is ideal, myself.. we are in the still yet planning zone of potential parentdome.. and if I were to get (gasp) a stepford wagon, it would have to have all the toys, whic puts you at around 40K by the time youare done.. and I hate leather but I would consider it for the kid proofing.. so yes my dear you are a welcome owner, grin!

Another thing is the demographic Honda intended was due to the fact they did not have a large market with young guys, they had the women they had the creeping toward 40 and up.. they were not as concerned about us anymore they had us.. we like relliability, we like a good safe dependable good mpg vehicle.. soo that was no longer a challenge for them..

Now they lost that market when they killed off the prelude and crx.. had they not done so perhaps we would not be lucky enough to have the ultimate Honda EVER! sorry crx & prelude, you are missed!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts