Honda Element Owners Club banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I talked to the local PD where this theft supposedly was and the officer said that a local Meals on Wheels operation was hit and several thefts occurred in local cities. They were well aware of it, but I think the 200 at one dealership was a rumor. But I know it does happen. Great, just what we need, another pandemic. Am going to shut up about this for now and not garbage up the forum.
Another addition to the list of negativity that's happening now to the world.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For those interested, I was able to contact Casey from the Facebook Element Owners club about his cage and he had a few left for sale within the past few weeks. It's a nice unit with all the needed hardware and there's a Youtube video on his channel on how to install it. I don't know his plans for future production of these.
Do you happen to know Casey's full FB name. I am interested. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
ETCG is a great resource and very knowledgeable. And, this is a great video as it explains the profit chain.
I am by education an organic chemist so catalysis is always an interesting subject and I would love to learn more.
All catalytic converters are not created equal.
If I understand the problem, current catalytic converters for conventional gasoline engines use far less expensive catalysts (I've heard nickel and cobalt) since they run at such a high temperature that catalysis is simple. However, it is also my understanding the reason that "cats of choice" are stolen from hybrids (Prius, etc.) based on the fact that the catalytic converters on these types of vehicle need the expensive metals. They never achieve continuous and therefore, high temperature operation: i.e., they never really heat up very much.
If that is true it's hard to explain why just any cat would be a target for theft. if that's the case then the people who purchase them are stupid. Maybe I'm wrong so I eagerly wait for ETCG's comments as he's a fairly trustworthy source.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My cat got stolen end of January. Bay Area CA, it’s rampant here. I gave up on my 2003 Element. I loved that car. And it’s a manual too. But I’m not in the mood to get all kinds of cages and alarms only to have it happen again. I will sell it to someone who can put a cat in it on their own. :(

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My cat got stolen end of January. Bay Area CA, it’s rampant here. I gave up on my 2003 Element. I loved that car. And it’s a manual too. But I’m not in the mood to get all kinds of cages and alarms only to have it happen again. I will sell it to someone who can put a cat in it on their own. :(
you could sell your Element but if you buy any other car, like another poster said on this forum, they just jack up the car and cut off the cat. Watch this video from the time they pull the jack out of their own car, lift up this toyota prius, cut off the cat and drop the car, they are gone in 60 seconds. And there other thieves doing this in broad daylight

·
Registered
2005 Element EX Automatic 4WD
94 Posts
you could sell your Element but if you buy any other car, like another poster said on this forum, they just jack up the car and cut off the cat. Watch this video from the time they pull the jack out of their own car, lift up this toyota prius, cut off the cat and drop the car, they are gone in 60 seconds. And there other thieves doing this in broad daylight

Insanity and goes to show the lawlessness in our society.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Here is a video of a few different cat protection devices where thieves tried to steal the cat, see which ones were effective in deterring theft

·
Registered
2005 Element EX Automatic 4WD
94 Posts
Here is a video of a few different cat protection devices where thieves tried to steal the cat, see which ones were effective in deterring theft

This is driving me crazy. I'm going with Cat Security and forget about this. Got an installation quote of $99 from a 5 star muffler shop locally after emailing the installation instructions to them so they could see what was involved. Great communication with Cat Security and know they will provide any support if necessary. Nuff said.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts